Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-23 13:39:26

kyoreiflutes
Website

Hole measurements on a 1.5?

I had an extra piece of black bamboo root stock, so I thought I'd make a 1.5 out of it.

My problem is that I stink at math, and I can't figure out Ken's formula. I had it plugged into an Excel sheet on my laptop, but that died.

If anyone can help me figure out (in inches, if possible) where to make the sound holes, I'd be MUCH obliged.

Thanks!

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-06-23 14:26:08

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Hole measurements on a 1.5?

kyoreiflutes wrote:

If anyone can help me figure out (in inches, if possible) where to make the sound holes, I'd be MUCH obliged.

-Eddie

Consider this:

Do the math for each factor:

54.5X = (Ken's factor) x (length of your 1.5 in centimeters)

Solve for X:

Divide both sides of the equation by 54.5

You get: X = (Ken's factor) x (lenth of your 1.5 in centimeters) divided by 54.5

Doing the arithmetic, you'll get the length in centimeters for the hole spacing.

Do this for each of Ken's hole spacing dimensions.

For example, if your 1.5 is 45.45 cm long, the distance from the root to the first hole would be:

54.5X  x 12.1 x 45.45

X = 12.1 x 45.45 divided by 54.5

X = 10.09 cm

Convert cm to inches using this: http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm (or, conversely, you can convert all Ken's dimensions to inches to begin with, then use the above method).

3.972 inches

Undsoweiter...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-06-23 14:41:36

kyoreiflutes
Website

Well, I'm still not positive about it, since I really am bad at understanding math. My gf worked this out for me before, but that's not an option.

So, my flute is 19" (48.26cm), and I've figured out that the first hole should be 4.21" from the bottom, each hole has 1.9" between them, and the distance from 4th to 5th is 1.25.

Does this sound about right? I'd appreciate some more math help. Thanks!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2006-06-23 16:11:12

EDF

1st hole = 10.71cm
distance between holes = 4.83cm
hole 4 to 5 = 3.18cm.

based on 12.1 x 0.8855045 ( 48.26 divided by 54.5)

and 1/10th 48.26 = 4.83 (my eyesight won't do better on a mm ruler)

#5 2006-06-23 16:22:16

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Eddie,

You can always take a strip of elastic band, stretch it a bit, then mark the holes and length of a well tuned flute. Then, use it as a template to mark the holes for many different sized flutes. Its primitive but it can get you close.

If you do use the formula keep in mind that usually hole 3 needs to be adjusted slightly south (towards root) and hole 4 needs to be adjusted slightly north.

Ken

#6 2006-06-23 17:25:47

Toffe

I made a excell sheet that gives you the hole placement according to two different formulas. They differ a bit but if you go between themit works fine.
I'll finish that excell up and post it tomorrow if I get the time.

// Chris

#7 2006-06-24 01:02:39

kyoreiflutes
Website

Look at akl the niceness here. Such a nice group of folks, really. This is one of the least frustrating places I've "been". All my other forums are nothing but babies and stress and arguing, so it's nice to see niceness here.

Thanks a lot, guys!

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-06-24 01:02:54)

#8 2006-06-24 08:22:13

EricSwain

I have made a hole placement calculator in excel using the formula from www.navaching.com and the PDF that everyone is talking about. I find it odd that the formulas dont agree on hole placement. Ken's formula places the holes for the flute 5 to 10mm higher up the flute than the navaching formula. Has anyone here compaired the two to find out which one comes closer to being in tune?

#9 2006-06-24 12:38:04

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

EricSwain wrote:

I have made a hole placement calculator in excel using the formula from www.navaching.com and the PDF that everyone is talking about. I find it odd that the formulas dont agree on hole placement. Ken's formula places the holes for the flute 5 to 10mm higher up the flute than the navaching formula. Has anyone here compaired the two to find out which one comes closer to being in tune?

Eric,

The following is taken from a previous post:

The formulas are taken from different styles of flutes.

There are many variables which influence the location of the holes. All flutes have a different combination of variables. So, a formula taken from one ideal flute often won't match the formula taken from another ideal flute.  They are close but not exact. (This is especially evident in jinashi shakuahchi) In theory, every flute has it's own ideal formula. You could simplify this and use a different formula for each style of flute - wide bore, thin bore, thick walled, thin walled, small hole, large hole, etc. Or, you could stick with one and adjust from there - Whatever simplifies it for you.

I think a good way to reduce the confusion is to get a feel for the physics of the shakuhachi. Then, you'll have a better idea which way to stray from your 'starting point' formula. Above all, remember that formulas are only educated guesses about where the holes go.

Drill away!

Ken

Board footer