Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-23 17:19:52

evan kubota

Xiao

In a box of fairly old (40-50 years?) instruments that I recently found from a family friend, there was a xiao.

It looks to have a brownish-purple lacquer finish and appears fairly well made. The dimensions are similar to a 2.0 shakuhachi, but it is fairly narrow. The undercut mouthpiece makes it very easy to play, although virtually no pitch alteration is possible. Overblowing seems to allow the higher octave on some notes.

Does anyone else have a xiao or play one regularly? I try not to spend too much time on it because it makes the shakuhachi seem harder...

#2 2006-07-21 15:09:11

Peter Phippen

Re: Xiao

Hi There,

Yes, I play Xiao... You should be able to go into the third register with it. I have had an antique Xiao living with me since 1987, for many years, I stayed in the first register when I played this flute, but now I play the whole range.

I find the Xiao to be a nice change once in a while, a very sweet sounding bamboo.

I have recorded Xiao on my 'Book of Dreams" CD for Canyon Records on the song "Pool of Tone". For whatever reason this song keep getting airplay, and it was recorded in 1996??? I think it's the sweet sound of the instrument, as I'm not playing anything fancy on this song.

I have since been gifted another Antique Xiao that is a much better flute. Yet I find myself still playing that fisrt one more when I reach for a Xiao. They both sound very nice, and are great for that pure bamboo sound. (Just my humble opinion) Both of mine have root ends, like a shakuhachi.

Regards,
Peter Phippen

Last edited by Peter Phippen (2006-07-21 15:10:28)

Board footer