Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-01-25 02:09:47

Karmajampa
Website

Did you know - bamboo

I am measuring bamboo culms that are one month old and six meters high. I am measuring the distances from the ground to each node up to about one meter, my interest is to see if there is any increase over time and will go back to specific culms every six months and measure again.

I have just noticed on these new culms that root shoots are growing out of nodes that are already above the ground. The first node is about 17mm above the ground and several lengths of root material is making it's way through space towards the ground like a skirt. there are also small beads on the next node about 50mm above the ground and I suspect these are also going to begin their journey towards the ground some time sooner or later.
This is a bit of a revelation for me as I had noticed this root growth before and thought it was because the culm was pushing up from below the ground taking this root material with it, but not so.

I am sure some of you have seen this root material and the beads on culms you have gotten for flutes.

Fascinating how the culm is anchoring and stabilizing itself.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer