Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-06-23 17:41:30

Toffe

A good drill-bit for drilling the holes.

I've been looking for some good sharp drillbits but I just can't find any. Right now I use a normal wood drill, and that tends to splinter the surface of the bamboo.  I know that some people use these kinds: http://www.clasohlson.se/images/product … 6768_S.jpg

But the smallest I can find is 10mm. That won't give me that much to tune at if I'm aiming at 10-11mm holes. So I'm thinking that I should get like 9 or 8 mm bits.
Is there any good place in the states where I can order it? I bet it's really cheap but here it's just so hard to find that small.

What do you think? Any links?

// Christoffer

#2 2006-06-23 18:13:49

daiishi
Website

Re: A good drill-bit for drilling the holes.

Take a look at this type. In a high speed drill these almost never cause a splinter or chip.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6715726

I start with a regular drill bit of the desired size and custom grind my own in this style but I recommend you try the commercial version first to make sure the sides are perfectly even.

The link is to only one size. They have a wide range.

Happy flute making
Greg

Some say history and tradition are everything. Some say their way is the only way. Some say the shakuhachi is just a container for a column of vibrating air. I suspect the truth is between all these.

#3 2006-06-23 18:39:29

dstone
Website

Hi Toffe. I've used a few different types of bits to drill flute holes, both handheld and with a press.

My preferences, in order:
1) Drill press, clamped flute, using a lipped brad-point bit. (e.g. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx … ,180,42240 )  The outside lips will score the skin on the way in, before the material removal begins, and this prevents ripping the bamboo skin.
2) Drill press, clamped flute, with any bit.
3) Handheld, clamped flute, using anything -but- a lipped bit.  (Handheld, the lips have an excellent chance to grab at a slight angle on the way back out and tear the skin.)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2006-06-23 19:30:22

evan kubota

I use a 3/8" (9.5mm) forstner bit. This gives very clean cuts and doesn't tear the skin. You can do it with a regular drill bit as well, but  you have to be careful to avoid tearing the skin. It's small enough to leave plenty of room for tuning up to 11 or 12 mm holes. I personally like fairly large holes. My earlier shakuhachi generally had standard 10 mm, but I'm moving more toward 12.

#5 2006-06-24 00:21:45

Toffe

I've only found 10mm its here. It's a bit on the big side I think.

#6 2006-06-24 01:54:14

evan kubota

I think it would be fine. Adjust the position of the holes down by 1-2 mm if you're concerned - that will give you extra room to enlarge it, without being too sharp to start with.

#7 2006-06-24 04:14:22

EDF

I use forstner bits for any hole when drilling flutes.
They cut very clean. They cut across any grain pattern
i.e. knots or grain direction change (caused maybe by virus
or repair from being eaten by insects or animals).
They also make a flat hole, which is useful if you
crash through (not that I've every done that - whistle)
into the opposite side.

Buy them in a boxed set - cheaper than singles.
My set starts at 1/4" and goes up in 1/8" increments
up to 21/2" - not that I've met anyone who
could finger a 21/2" tone hole  flute.

Google for forstner bit, and you should find lots
of places to get them (208,000 hits).

#8 2006-06-24 11:46:32

indigo

Hello fellow drillers

do not have extensive experience with bamboo but i make a living fabricating things

the most comprehensive place i frequent for all of my drill bits etc is:

W.L. Fuller Inc. P.O. Box 8767, 7 Cypress Street, Warwick, Rhode Island 02888 USA, tel: 401 467 2900 fax: 401 467 2905 @ www.wlfuller.com

plasticut drill bits might be an option as they have a much sharper taper at the drill tip than the standard metal drill bit, as well as forstner and bradpoint bits

Fuller also has many boring systems, plug cutters and they will custom make  drills, plugcutters etc.

another tool catalogue for all sorts of tools and bits is McMaster Carr @ www.mcmaster.com

for a european approach Bosch might help

all of the above companies carry metric and inch systems of measurement etc.

best of luck

have found over the years that time is much more expensive than a tool and the correct tool will save an enormous amount of time

thankyou to the shakuhachi forum for bringing light to the extraordinary practice and music of shakuhachi

ola

indigo

Last edited by indigo (2006-06-24 11:48:06)

#9 2006-06-24 16:50:35

kyoreiflutes
Website

Toffe, if you want me to send you a Forstner bit of the proper size, it's no problem. There's two wood specialty shops (one is Rockler) down the street from me, and they're a good price.

As soon as I get off my tookas and get these out, lol, I'll grab some for you if you want. Just let me know. I have a shakuhachi performance to go to Monday, and then the same players have another concert Tuesday, which I'm helping Usher and such. We're also recording it, and I think I'm helping a bit with that. After that, though, I'm free.

I'll email you about how we're going to take care of payment. It's a puzzler. Anyone have a tip about how we can get money to me from Holland? I'd sure appreciate it.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-06-24 16:51:38)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2006-06-24 17:03:48

Toffe

Thx Eddie.
It would be great if you could get one or two bits and send them with the flutes. It'll be a good way to start my new workshop in the new apartment. Man, I can't wait! I've been looking at workbenches today.

By the way.. Holland? Didn't you mean Sweden? And isn't paypal a good tool for paying over the net?

#11 2006-06-24 17:16:24

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yes, Sweden, sorry, lol. I assume you mean some workbenches at Ikea, right? lol.

Paypal... I've used it, and it's possible that I still have an account with them, but it's been 3-4 years since I've used it. I'll have to figure that out?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#12 2006-06-24 17:27:02

Toffe

hehe.. No, Ikea don't have any good workbenches. But we're getting a new baby bed, some closets, tables and stuff there. About 99%of our furniture comes from there, as with pretty much all Swedish homes...

Yeah I just took a look at Paypal, it seems to be the best choice. See if you can find your old account, or maybe make a new.

// C

#13 2006-06-24 20:02:43

gmiller

Greetings All................

Mejiro has by far the best bits made specially for bamboo; bits are metric. Need a 10.5mm; they have it and just about any other size needed.
Not cheap, but quality never is. These bits are the right tool for the the job.

Hope this helps

George

#14 2007-01-21 23:04:30

KODOAN.COM
Website

I don't know if anyone else has used a small grinding stone in a Dremel/high speed rotary tool to burn through bamboo but I haven't had a piece of bamboo split yet.  I use a Black and Decker rotary tool (about $20) and start with about a 6mm grinding stone then, either switch stones or use the same to widen the hole. 

It creates a lot of smoke (I smell like a bonfire for awhile) but I'm happy with the results.  I've used it on torachiku and madake - no problems so far.

Last edited by KODOAN.COM (2007-05-03 22:51:16)

Board footer