Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2011-02-15 08:52:35

andy the flutemaker

Any one live in england

Hi.I have been trying to make shakuhachi for about a year now but i have never seen one in the flesh so to speak im having a real job trying to find suitable bamboo. Does any one know any one who deals with shakuhachi in england?

The first shakuhachi ever made was made by a man with no teaching

#2 2011-02-15 10:09:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: Any one live in england

Hi Andy,
The first thing to do in shakuhachi making is to learn to play well. Michael Coxall is traditionally trained and teaches I think around Oxford, although is in Japan at the moment. There are also some other teachers available, so if that's what you are looking for you can enquire further. I am from England but live here in Japan now, as a teacher and maker. I would be happy to talk with you on one of my visits, the next of which should be some time this year.

#3 2011-02-15 10:44:39

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Andy

There are actually quite a few shakuhachi people in England.

Michael Soumei Coxall is a kinko player and teacher. He is retired now and spends some of his time in Japan as Justin mentioned. Otherwise in the Oxford area.

Clive Bell in London. Student of Miyata Kohachiro (http://www.clivebell.co.uk)

Richard Stagg lives in North London. He used to be a flute player in the BBC Symphony Orchestra. he is retired now but still teaches shakuhachi. He is really into repairing shakuhachi. I don't know if he is making them from "scratch".

Mike McInerney is a very good shakuhachi player and teacher from Devon. I think he is located in Totnes now... but not sure (www.mikemcinerney.com)

Adrian Freedman is another very good shakuhachi player and teacher - also in Devon (http://www.adrianfreedman.com)

And I teach in London as well. I live partly in London (teaching fellow at SOAS, University of London) (www.kikuday.com)

Also, don't forget to check out the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS): www.shakuhachisociety.eu

We will have ESS Shakuhachi Summer School in London (at SOAS) 28 - 31 July. There will be a shakuhachi making workshop with Chiku Za a.k.a. Kodama. The other main teachers are Endo Yoshihiro (min'yō shakuhachi) and Demachi Hazuki (kinko and enka) and lots more. The info will soon come up on the ESS webpage and also here: http://www.soas.ac.uk/music/summermusic … timetable/

Other than that, there are loads of shakuhachi aficionados in England to exchange with.
Have fun and hope to see you at the Summer School!

Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2011-02-15 18:11:30

Jam

I'm in Oxford!

I agree with what Justin's said though, you won't know what's a good flute if you can't play it properly. There are some great people in England, as Kiku has mentioned. I'm a student of Michael Coxall and I couldn't recommend him highly enough. I've also learnt from Kiku (at a Summer school) and had the opportunity to listen to Clive Bell performing in the Oxford Botanical Gardens. I met Justin in Japan and while I didn't get to hear him play, he is a knowledgable chap.

How's your playing coming along, have you got a practice flute to play?

Last edited by Jam (2011-02-15 18:32:51)

#5 2011-02-16 03:17:32

andy the flutemaker

yes i have managed to make two flutes one is a2.2 that is pretty good both registers the other is my best flute 490 wide bore in d.It is two notes off the second register but i think it sounds beautiful.it has 10 nodes with exerlent hole placement

The first shakuhachi ever made was made by a man with no teaching

Board footer