Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2014-01-19 14:29:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

What's better? Jinashi or Jiari?

Okay, I really need to know how you vitally engaged members of the Resurrected BBQ feel.

What's better? Jinashi or Jiari? I want something definitive.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2014-01-22 13:49:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: What's better? Jinashi or Jiari?

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Okay, I really need to know how you vitally engaged members of the Resurrected BBQ feel.

Hey Chris, Maybe the conversation has moved on for many members. For me the question is no longer "which is better", but "how do I know it's good instrument."

To quote Ed, "Just sayin" wink

- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2014-01-22 22:59:13

Moran from Planet X
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Moran from Planet X wrote:

Hey Chris, Maybe the conversation has moved on for many members. For me the question is no longer "which is better", but "how do I know it's good instrument."

To quote Ed, "Just sayin" wink

- Perry

Yeah, I'm just trying to start trouble. Fan a spark. wink

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2014-01-23 06:02:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/OnwardJinashiWarriors.jpg

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2014-01-23 15:27:30

mrgecko

The best Shakuhachi of all time is the one you have in your hand when playing tongue

#6 2014-03-17 09:16:27

madoherty

Jinashi

But, yes, depends on what piece on is playing, what lineage, etc.

#7 2014-03-17 22:24:33

Moran from Planet X
Website

madoherty wrote:

Jinashi

But, yes, depends on what piece on is playing, what lineage, etc.

Knob-U-Ryu™

Last edited by Moran from Planet X (2014-03-17 22:24:57)

#8 2014-04-23 18:25:43

Cornelius
Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

IMNSHO:

Jinashi is a flute that has bamboo texture, and I play shakuhachi partly (maybe even mostly) to experience that bamboo texture (and I mean inside my head with the breath, not on my fingers or chin).
When I try to play Jiari, it is a flute with...other textures, and, for me, these are textures that
a) do not attract me in the long run (and shakuhachi play is a LTR for sure)
b) seem hell-bent on repurposing this piece of dead grass towards playing musics that would be a lot easier to play on something else.

Sorry if this is redundant, but to me it comes down to
Resonance and texture: if you have primarily musical aspirations, more flutey flutes (i.e. more materials, more uniformity in crafting) might be more appropriate than something that invites a more unique, collaborative connection.

For those of us arriving at shakuhachi from other Western musical pursuits, it is this nature texture (to the sound) that keeps some of us returning for more ... "attempts," shall we say.

Now another question: what is the official term to designate an utaguchi with no insert/bone/horn?

This has recently presented itself as an almost equally important distinction, and my own preferences lie on the side of the choices made at Mujitsu for the Taimu: no inserts, and even no urushi (which one of my Taimu has) but I prefer the ones with "bare blowing edges"

Explode into space

#9 2014-05-08 22:19:30

jaybeemusic

For me....the argument is like asking "What is better.... a Ferrari or a Hummer?"  It depends on what you want to do with it.    smile

There is no way you can convince a "speed demon" that a Hummer is better....and there is no way you can convince an "off roader" that a Ferrari is better. 

If you judge a Fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is a failure.  smile

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#10 2014-05-12 00:20:06

mrgecko

I am so sorry but I really had to point this out.

http://www.importrpm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ferrari-FF-image-e1299865514704.jpg

But your statement does sound right even without the above example.

#11 2014-05-14 09:50:30

madoherty

Additionally, in composing music, different pieces lend themselves to different that styles of flute, I have found.  Typically whichever I am writing a piece with ends up being the domain of that piece.  There are other considerations.  The two have different sound palettes, very very different approaches, experience, and results.

#12 2014-06-04 10:47:34

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

On average jiari will have a smaller bore and will be louder, i.e., the harmonic overtones will be more accessible. Another way of putting still is to say the sound can be pushed more before breaking into another octave. An average jinashi will not have as much ability to be pushed into harmonic overtones. Physically, average jiari tend to be heavier than your average jinashi. Most jiari have a center joint which comes apart while most jinashi are in one-piece (nobe). Jiari are mostly or fully covered with paste in the bore while jinashi tend to have little or no paste. Jinashi can come close to or surpass average jiari in all areas, however, such jinashi are not average but are rare and should be compared to above average jiari. Subjectively, jinashi tend to be considered to have more character than jiari.

How do I get this hook out of my mouth Chris?

My site flutedojo - jinashi shakuhachi bamboo flute maker.

#13 2014-06-04 17:22:37

Moran from Planet X
Website

You know, I kinda put this post up as a lark seeing that a similar post went on for 12+ pages on the BBQ before it went on hiatus a couple of years ago. I was just trying to blow on some old, smoldering embers and see if we could get any interest in the revived BBQ. smile

I thought that the statement "I want something definitive" might tip people off to the innate futility of the question. It just got out of hand. Don't hate me, people, but you may have to remove the hook yourself.

Start a new topic! Onward!

Last edited by Moran from Planet X (2014-06-04 17:26:34)

Board footer