Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

#126 2009-05-07 07:05:01

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

Retards! Retards I tell you!!!!

This thread is as pathetic as this performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBQBZlT9bw

He should have retired way before that just like this freaking thread!

Now back to my grave!

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#127 2009-05-07 08:04:13

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Gishin, you don't have to tell us. If we do meditate and get in contact deeply into our souls - we know! It is totally retarded!
Kees, some cask strength would do good at all times - misunderstood or not smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#128 2009-05-07 08:57:45

Lodro

Tairaku wrote:

Then that's not music, it's anthropology or religion.

Music is also part of both, it always has been

Last edited by Lodro (2009-05-07 09:13:55)

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#129 2009-05-07 12:47:06

edosan
Edomologist

Gishin wrote:

This thread is as pathetic as this performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuBQBZlT9bw

He should have retired way before that just like this freaking thread!

Now back to my grave!

Apparently, it isn't actually a grave, in the strict sense. Rumours of your death must be exaggerated.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#130 2009-05-07 14:04:57

jaybeemusic

Not to stir the pot but, is there any distinction to be made about the "type" of material added to the bore?

If it's bamboo sawdust it's still "mostly" bamboo.  does that somehow make it "more" acceptable?  What's the difference if some bamboo is removed, or some is added?  It's still a change....by human hands.

What about 5 minute epoxy.....  does that count as something different?  if so then we'd have a "Ji-poxy" flute.  smile

so my question is......do different materials added to the bore affect the sound in different ways?

I suppose, we have Acoustic Guitars, Electric Guitars and in the last 20 years or so we have Acoustic/Electric guitars....so why not a new name for a shakuhachi?

yes i know i'm being a bit of a goofball with the "ji-poxy" comment, but, my question is serious.

jacques

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2009-05-07 14:06:27)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#131 2009-05-07 20:12:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lodro wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I'm not in favor of people withholding music from other people. Regarding the aboriginal songs, why do you want to learn them if they're not "yours"?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#132 2009-05-07 20:20:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Gishin wrote:

Now back to my grave!

I knew you couldn't stay away! cool

#133 2009-05-07 22:35:09

Lodro

Tairaku wrote:

Lodro wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I'm not in favor of people withholding music from other people. Regarding the aboriginal songs, why do you want to learn them if they're not "yours"?

That's fine, everyone has the right to believe in whatever they think is for the greater good.

With regard to why I'd like to learn those songs. I suppose I could rave on and on about that.....but I won't so I'll partially rave on and on about that. I spent 10 years as a lecturer at the University of Adelaide's 'Centre for Aboriginal Studies in Music' teaching various stuff from keyboards, saxophone, music theory to ensemble work and other stuff. The school is for people of Aboriginal descent who want to develop their music skills. One of the subjects that the students and teachers were involved in was 'Tribal Singing' where we would have Anangu (traditional Aboriginal people) from the Pitjantjatjara/Yankunytjatjara lands come down to the city for 2 weeks to teach some of their songs and generally impart information to the urban kids who might not have had any contact with traditional culture. So we learned these beautiful songs. We also had field trips to the traditional lands, observed traditional way of life, inma (ceremony), songs, etc. We were also occasionally allowed to observe some 'sacred ceremonies'. The songs in these ceremonies were quite different to the other songs that are for general public use. They had a different kind of beauty to them. For that reason alone I would like to learn them, nothing else. But as I said before, I can't. And to me that's fine.

smile

Last edited by Lodro (2009-05-07 23:03:07)

#134 2009-05-07 23:33:43

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

Gishin wrote:

Now back to my grave!

I knew you couldn't stay away! cool

From the forum or the grave?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#135 2009-05-08 00:39:22

rpowers

Here's a thought.

I will assert that I am more insecure than anyone on the forum.

Now can we go back to blowing the bamboo of our choice?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#136 2009-05-08 01:18:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lodro wrote:

. For that reason alone I would like to learn them, nothing else. But as I said before, I can't. And to me that's fine.

smile

I'm touchy about this Aboriginal stuff because the first time I played in Tasmania in '92 I was accosted by a girl who identified herself as a Tasmanian Aboriginal (although she looked like Goldilocks) and berated me for playing didgeridoo saying I was not "permitted" to do so. I told her she looked like Snow White and that following her logic Yo Yo Ma is not "permitted" to play cello because he's not Italian. And that anyway the Tasmanian aborigines didn't have the didge.

End of history.

#137 2009-05-08 01:40:18

Lodro

Tairaku wrote:

I'm touchy about this Aboriginal stuff because the first time I played in Tasmania in '92 I was accosted by a girl who identified herself as a Tasmanian Aboriginal (although she looked like Goldilocks) and berated me for playing didgeridoo saying I was not "permitted" to do so.

Look I don't blame you for being touchy about this stuff. It's a pile of frog-crap, there's as many ridiculous comments from Aboriginal people as anyone other race, the classic one being that women aren't allowed to play didge! I wish that the people who make those kinds of comments had done their research beforehand instead of just making blanket statements based on an erroneous view. It tends to be an 'urban thing' and that's why it's important for urban Aboriginal people to get some education about the reality of where they came from.

#138 2009-05-08 02:25:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

In the case of the Tasmanian aborigines that's difficult because there is little continuous culture. They're trying to reconstruct it. And none of them have a significant percentage of Aboriginal blood. Very diluted. I'm going to try to learn more about it.

#139 2009-05-08 02:36:47

Lodro

Tairaku wrote:

In the case of the Tasmanian aborigines that's difficult because there is little continuous culture. They're trying to reconstruct it. And none of them have a significant percentage of Aboriginal blood. Very diluted. I'm going to try to learn more about it.

Yes and unless I'm mistaken I think they feel a bit of an inferiority complex about being separated from the mainland thing. (Actually wasn't it only a while back that Tasmania was sometimes left off the map by mistake!)

#140 2009-05-08 04:25:47

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Alas poor Gishin, I knew his raves
His sage advice, a model of decorum
And now we hear he's risen from the grave
What miracles we witness on this forum
And if he returns to that shadow land
What manner of flute will remain in his hand?
Venture a guess to end the story
Ji-ari, ji-nashi, or ji-mori?

#141 2009-05-08 07:12:29

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Maybe with this nice poem (it made me laugh) its time to close this thread?

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#142 2009-05-08 10:55:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

lol

#143 2009-05-08 11:12:31

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

lol

Decorum and advice is the life of a flute pimp!

Now take those bitches to the pavement and play!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaj-7Bro … re=related

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#144 2009-05-08 11:41:35

indigo

Regarding the flute type it seems to me that one of the elephants in the room is Atsuya Okuda.  He made a beautiful recording called "The Sound of Zen" sounding an argument for jinashi self made flutes and almost refuting the recording process itself by doing the recording in one take.  Amazing!  His personal journey from trumpet player to Zen flute master must be very interesting.  I wonder if any one on the forum can address this wonderful player's approach so that we may understand more about his position.

Last edited by indigo (2009-05-08 11:53:39)

#145 2009-05-08 12:37:43

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

These days I rarely read the forum but I have just noticed this interesting discussion, so I thought I would add some input from Japan.

Lodro wrote:

I don't know very much at all about the shakuhachi having taken up the habit only 1 month ago and this is simply my personal opinion but why not ask/consult with the traditional owners of the instrument. It's their instrument, their tradition. That's what we do in Aboriginal Australia (or at least we're meant to anyway). Respect and empowerment to the tradition. Besides they might have the answers.

smile

Hi Lodro. Riley Lee is one of those traditional owners of the instruments. I guess that is why he is trying to help educate the forum. To quote from his website, "He is the recipient of two of the oldest and most venerated lineages of traditional shakuhachi, which can be traced back to the Zen Buddhist komusô, or "priests of nothingness" of the Edo period in Japan. In 1980, he became the first non-Japanese to attain the rank of dai shihan or Grand Master." Just to give some background info to the voice.
Riley, it's very nice to see you writing here. Great to hear your input.

I personally believe much of the confusion in this thread concerning terminology, is the difference between what the words mean in different contexts. On the one hand there is Kiku's definition, which may be the definition used at Osaka University, and on the other hand there is the observation of what the word means in the shakuhachi community in Japan in general. I believe it was the latter that Riley was voicing. I regularly interact with a large variety of honkyoku players and I would say that the definition of jinashi in the sticky of this forum simply does not apply to the "real world" in Japan. I can also say that the term "jimori" is almost entirely unheard of.

So for the sticky, I would say that this might apply to the academic circles where they are concerned about classification:
Jinashi shakuhachi (地なし尺八) = literally: Shakuhachi without ji (used about shakuhachi where the material is only bamboo)

And this may apply to the actual general shakuhachi population:
Jinashi shakuhachi (地なし尺八) = literally: Shakuhachi without ji (used about shakuhachi where there is little or no ji)

It is true, there are some groups of people here in Japan who use the term "jinashi" in a more exclusive way, to mean shakuhachi with absolutely no ji. They seem to be in the minority. I have consistently seen members of many different honkyoku lineages (in Japan) referring to shakuhachi with some ji in them as "jinashi". Of the makers with whom forum members may be familiar, John Neptune, Tom Deaver and Murai Eigoro have all referred to shakuhachi with some ji in them as "jinashi", and have confirmed that as the correct term when I have specifically questioned them about having some ji in. That was not in any way in order to imply that they had no ji. The term jinashi, (to them at least, and many others) simply does not generally mean "absolutely no ji". Incidently, Murai Eigoro is the maker who made most of the shakuhachi Okuda Atsuya plays, who seems to be a well known jinashi player for the US.

Kiku, you have told us that jimori was used in old sankyoku journals. Can you tell us the definition it had at that time? Can you tell us if it was defined as clearly being different from "jinuri"? Or perhaps it simply meant "shakuhachi with ji"?

Jimori seems to be a term not emerging from the general shakuhachi community, but rather an academic term coming from the university community, who are trying to make the term catch on, for some reason. I don't say whether that is bad or good. If people feel there is a need for more categories, then it may be a good thing. Then also if this strict definition of jinashi (as meaning totally no ji) is something which the academic community is trying to impose on the shakuhachi community, I will not say whether or not that is good, but it may be better to be clear that that is the case. But if you will give an official "definition" of the term, it may be better to explain the actual definition as observed from the shakuhachi community, i.e. the word in use, rather than a definition you would hope for, or a minority definition. Or, at least, you could explain the context of the definitions you list.

Even if you want the people reading the forum to have the same definition as the one you use, I believe they should be informed about the usage of these terms in the Japanese shakuhachi community. Even if you believe the common usage to be a mistake.

As a point of interest, with your definition of "jimori" I think you will find that you can easily differentiate between what you have defined as "jinashi" and what you have defined as "jimori", but not easily differentiate between what you have defined as "jimori" and "jinuri/jiari". The distinction between "jimori" and "jinuri/jiari" will be a subjective one, as there is nothing to clearly differentiate them, so far as I have understood. Perhaps that was Riley's point about "how many grams?"

Anyway, Kiku I'm glad you are accepting at least that they are all shakuhachi now. It was only a few years ago that you wrote
"From my own experience, I can say that playing the hocchiku and shakuhachi
demands very diffrent breathing techniques. I have only played shakuahchi in
teaching situations when I have to be in tune with the student's shakuhachi
and I feel like it's a totally different instrument. and I play the
shakuhachi very badly ( I got my first one about half a year ago).So, not
only is the sound different, but they are quite different to play as well.
Hope this helps a bit to understand the wonderful world of hocchiku, which
is still quite unknown, alonside the world of shakuhachi.
Love Kiku"

I think your recent statements are a great improvement. I have come across some people here in Japan also from some jinashi groups who refer to "shakuhachi" as a different instrument, and although I greatly enjoy those groups, as my friends, enjoy playing with them, and love their music, I have noticed that the strong differentiation actually leads to some hostility in feelings and attitude. It brings them closer to each other as a group, but at the same time pushes them farther away from the rest of the shakuhachi world. The result can be that "shakuhachi" players can actually experience hostility from them. That is a great shame. It also makes communication and sharing between them and the rest of the shakuhachi community more difficult and less probable. That is a great shame, because they have a lot to offer. Maybe, even there is a lot they could also gain.

I liked the funny bit about being a "jinashi player". Kiku, with that dab of ji, I guess we have to say you are a "jimori player" now. wink

Anyway, I like the sentiment that we are all playing shakuhachi. Well said. People will always enjoy classifying. Riley is probably right in saying the classification, if strict, should be consistent. As for the "real world", most of us can just sit back and see how the words are used. Or forget all of them, and enjoy the music.

This post means no harm at all. Some participation in the fun, and passing on my experiences to add to the pot. I'm not saying they are any more or less important than anyone elses.

Much love to you all
Justin Senryu

http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2009-05-08 13:12:49)

#146 2009-05-08 14:29:25

Riley Lee
Website

Have you noticed that this conversation appears to be setting a new Forum record (what is the record?) for the number of views? It's even brought back one of us from the grave! The # of views was already high before this particular flow of comments, but in any case, Kiku, all of the others who have made contributions and I should take this to be a compliment. Thank you!

We become uncomfortable when things get ‘emotional’ or one of us loses it. Inevitably, one of us voices the opinion that surely many of us share: “Hang on, calm down, it’s time to wrap it up, folks. Time to go back to playing our flutes”.

Yet, here we are again. We just can’t stay away.    :-)

I’m not suggesting that we should stay away. I plan to continue reading/contributing to this thread while I can, and hope that others will too.

First of all, surely most of us reading this don’t need to ‘go back’ to playing our flutes. I, for one, never stopped playing them. I have recently had the luxury of being able to play my shakuhachi from three to five hours most days, but that still leaves on average twenty hours each and every day of the week.

One could argue that reading the Shakuhachi Forum is still thinking about shakuhachi, which is much closer to playing my flutes than what I’m usually doing during most of the other twenty hours.

By the same logic and looking at the number of views this thread is attracting, it is likely that more people than usual have been thinking about jinashi flutes on a regular basis recently. Surely, this is good news to anyone whose preference is the jinashi flute, including the jinashi moderator. If I really were against the “jinashi trend”, continuing to attract readers to this topic would be very foolish of me.

As far as the discomfort we feel when we can sense that someone has ‘lost it’, I let my less noble emotions get the better of me far too often. I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t. I don’t like it when that happens to me and I don’t like seeing it happen to others. But, that shouldn’t prevent us from trying to discuss something, even if the discussion causes unpleasantness to surface.

When I read things like, “let’s stop this thread and go back to playing”, I translate them to mean, “This is not enjoyable, educational or entertaining anymore, can we please change the topic?” Rather than change the topic, I’d rather change the tone of the discussion so that it’s enjoyable, educational or at least entertaining again.

Kiku, “the superiority thing” is definitely not my thing. My participation on this Forum, I think, should be proof that I consider myself equal to everyone else here. I may be older than many and have more hours of ‘flight time’ on my shakuhachi than most, but if I thought that therefore I am superior, I would be deluding myself.

I do think my own ideas are more informed than many ideas held by other people. In that sense, I might think my ideas are superior. But even that is not really so. For one thing, my ideas are open for discussion. “Here are my ideas. If you disagree, tell me why. My ideas are merely ideas. They can be influenced and are subject to change.”

Finally, in case my or anyone else’s posts give the wrong impression, I am NOT the ultimate arbitor with regards to this discussion.

Expect more from me later. I think Kiku's long, and long awaited answer to my questions need a response. If you’ve had enough, best not to click onto this thread again.  :-)

BTW, when I got my first jinashi flute, Shugetsu would have been about 12 years old. Be careful when making assumptions.

#147 2009-05-08 14:53:51

ABRAXAS

"Controversy sells" ... and this is an excellent thread. wink

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#148 2009-05-08 14:57:24

dust

indigo wrote:

Regarding the flute type it seems to me that one of the elephants in the room is Atsuya Okuda.  He made a beautiful recording called "The Sound of Zen" sounding an argument for jinashi self made flutes and almost refuting the recording process itself by doing the recording in one take.  Amazing!  His personal journey from trumpet player to Zen flute master must be very interesting.  I wonder if any one on the forum can address this wonderful player's approach so that we may understand more about his position..

You might find this thread interesting...

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=18213

smile

john.

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#149 2009-05-08 15:13:13

ABRAXAS

Watazumi's and Atsuya Okuda's playing DEFINES what is appealing about shakuhachi/hocchiku to me. I guess that places me in the "jinashi camp". If I'm not mistaken, both defined their instruments (and style) based on the "jinashi" issue - in those terms or not.

Earlier Dr. Lee asked "What is Zensabo?"

Perhaps the answer/discussion of that question will shed light, at least on why the distinction is so important for self-indentified "jinashi" players.

How strictly or generally to Dokyoku players stick to hocchiku/jinashi style instruments in playing that repertoire?

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#150 2009-05-08 16:46:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

JI-SUS CHRIST! lol

How many angels can blow ro on the head of a jinashi pin? roll

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

Board footer