Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

#151 2009-05-08 16:51:57

Elliot K
Website

Re: To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

Tairaku wrote:

JI-SUS CHRIST! lol

How many angels can blow ro on the head of a jinashi pin? roll

Hmmm. Depends. Is it a wide-bore pin and does it REALLY not have any Ji?

(I like the "Ji-sus" thing...)

#152 2009-05-08 16:57:19

ABRAXAS

Tairaku wrote:

JI-SUS CHRIST! lol

Probably depends on how many of them are JItards, or how Jitarded they are, depending on if the difference is one of kind or degree. wink

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#153 2009-05-08 17:21:59

baian

you know ,i find jitard  preferable to retard , but not by a lot.

#154 2009-05-08 19:25:43

Riley Lee
Website

I knew you folks would turn the ji-nius loci of this thread right around in no time.

#155 2009-05-08 19:33:50

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

JI-SUS CHRIST! lol

Hey, that's MY line, dammit!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#156 2009-05-08 19:47:26

Riley Lee
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

How strictly or generally to Dokyoku players stick to hocchiku/jinashi style instruments in playing that repertoire?

No stricture at all, as far as I know.

Many think Yokoyama could get a jinashi sound with just about any flute he played, whether jinashi, jimori, or jinuri. I'm sure many of you have heard the story about him falling off a ladder at the age of about 12 or so, while attempting to change a light bulb [this isn't the beginning of a joke]. With his fall, he busted open his lip quite badly. The story goes that Yokoyama senior, looking down at Yokoyama junior, blood pouring from the latter's lip, observed wryly. but fortunately prematurely, "Well there goes the likelihood of my every having a shakuhachi playing son".

Now the general consensus is that Yokoyama might not have needed crude flutes to make 'the sound' in part because of the scar tissue, but no one has tried emulating this procedure.

#157 2009-05-08 20:35:59

Lodro

Justin wrote:

Hi Lodro. Riley Lee is one of those traditional owners of the instruments.

I learn something new about the Shakuhachi everyday, thank you Justin. My confusion (and it was confusion not necessarily judgemental) regarding this recent discussion was that I (thought I) was seeing, yet again, another ethnomusicological bash where the protagonists had not considered to simply 'consult with' the people that actually knew best, or simply had the answers. My experience from having worked intensively within the Australian Aboriginal music field for many years is that (many) ethnomusicologists tend not to look at their own place within the field and tend not to consider that their part and how they are playing it is actually an intrinsic part of the whole process itself, and by necessity it's always changing. And that they are meant to be 'seeking' clarification rather than assuming they have the authority to dictate it.

Please, if this actually does sound like condemnation, forgive me. I'm just going on my experiences. Respect to the protagonists.

smile

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#158 2009-05-08 20:55:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

JI-SUS CHRIST! lol

Hey, that's MY line, dammit!

Ji-pers creepers Ed, you don't "own" that phrase! cool

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#159 2009-05-08 21:07:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Riley Lee wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

How strictly or generally to Dokyoku players stick to hocchiku/jinashi style instruments in playing that repertoire?

No stricture at all, as far as I know. .

That probably depends upon how you define "Dokyoku" and whether you even acknowledge the phrase. This will probably start another war of semantics which could cause all our computers to burst into flames, but I don't care because I can just use the word censor or change people's avatars and titles around if things get hairy for me. lol

"Dokyoku" seems to be the common term in the West for followers of Watazumi but it also seems to be used most frequently to describe followers of Yokoyama Katsuya and his line. Yokoyama is the most famous of Watazumi's students. But there are some other Watazumi students and devotees who teach and perform.

Yokoyama and gang do not care about jinashi, in fact they usually gravitate towards highly refined modern jiari flutes by Miura Ryuho. Part of this has to do with the fact that Yokoyama expanded his teaching repertoire well beyond Watazumi honkyoku to include Kinko honkyoku and gaikyoku, shinkyoku, Fukuda Rando etc. and you wouldn't play all that stuff on raw jinashi. Unless you make a project out of that.

Some of the other followers try to play and make flutes more similar to those used by Watazumi himself. They get closer to the sound Watazumi actually had for honkyoku.

And then there are plenty who use both kinds and everything in between.

#160 2009-05-08 22:13:25

Riley Lee
Website

Lodro,

You raised an important issue. I do think the present generation of ethnomusicologists are, in general, more sensitive to this than past generations, but it is still worth bringing up regularly. The entire first chapter of my thesis was related to this topic, which I called "The Insider-Outsider Paradigm". My conclusion was that I was an insider and an outsider on many levels. Shades of grey.

http://www.rileylee.net/Thesis14Mar06%2 … chap1.html

The subject of (mis)appropriation is related to what you at talking about. In terms of appropriation, there is one huge difference between your experience with Aboriginal music and what happens with the shakuhachi tradition. There is no way that Japanese society and its culture could be considered anything but a dominant one.

The question is this: Is it even possible to misappropriate anything from a dominant culture? An extreme case in point would be to ask if the Aboriginal band Yotha Yindi could be accused of appropriating from white fellas like Brian Ritchie, the pop/rock elements it uses in its music.

There might also be as many shades of grey with this topic as there are with jinashi/jimori/jinuri/ji-whiz shakuhachi.

Last edited by Riley Lee (2009-05-08 22:32:09)

#161 2009-05-08 22:37:54

ABRAXAS

Thank you for the replies Tairaku and Dr. Lee.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#162 2009-05-09 00:52:15

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Riley Lee wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

No stricture at all, as far as I know. .

That probably depends upon how you define "Dokyoku" and whether you even acknowledge the phrase. This will probably start another war of semantics which could cause all our computers to burst into flames, but I don't care because I can just use the word censor or change people's avatars and titles around if things get hairy for me. lol

"Dokyoku" seems to be the common term in the West for followers of Watazumi but it also seems to be used most frequently to describe followers of Yokoyama Katsuya and his line.

In Yokoyama's school in Japan the term Dokyoku is not used. Watazumi was pretty rebellious basically. He changed many of the pieces around, changed some of the names, and even changed the name of the instrument and the repertoire. Basically dokyoku is just Watazumi's term for honkyoku. Brian, do you know if other Watazumi students still use the term dokyoku? Anyway I think it's a lovely term, and to me has a very Daoist flavour, "music of the Way".

Tairaku wrote:

Some of the other followers try to play and make flutes more similar to those used by Watazumi himself. They get closer to the sound Watazumi actually had for honkyoku.

And then there are plenty who use both kinds and everything in between.

Yes it definitely seems the majority of Yokoyama's students play jinuri, though I know quite a few who play jinashi. One such example is Okuda Atsuya. He studied for several years under Yokoyama, as far as I understand playing jiari. Later he left and make his cafe, "Zensabo", where he played for his customers and friends. I do not know the history of it exactly, for that you will have to ask Okuda (a very lovely man), but I guess after leaving Yokoyama's school he eventually ended up playing the long fat shakuhachi which he plays now. As Kiku has said, he was keen on Watazumi's playing, so it would seem natural to acquire shakuhachi similar to those. They are made by Murai Eigoro, who was a professional jiari shakuhachi maker, who now also makes those type of jinashi for Okuda's school. I think some of you have been lucky enough to meet him - he's a really great man too. Okuda may also make some of them himself.

Okuda's repertoire largely comes from listening to lps. Kiku I think you mentioned that. Okuda showed me some notations for pieces which he had transcribed from Watazumi's recordings. So his playing structure is often very close to Watazumi's. I believe Kiku you mentioned he also had conversations with Okamoto Chikugai, another honkyoku expert, which no doubt contributed to his playing.

I think Okuda's playing is wonderful, and I think he really takes advantage of exploring the subtle sounds of his instruments. I do also think that his playing style is very modern. Studying from recordings may have given him more freedom in that respect. With teachers here in Japan, you usually have to play exactly as they are playing. Or at least try your best. I expect he had to do that when studying under Yokoyama. But being on his own, I expect that gave him much more freedom to explore how he wanted to interpret the pieces. Perhaps his jazz background helped him with that. I know for me personally, working with some free improvisers helped me open a lot to the exploration of the sound. Also those free improvisers loved Okuda's playing style when I introduced it to them.

Japan generally seems to me to be quite conservative. A number of musicians have left Japan in order to be more musically free. I believe Iwamoto Yoshikazu remarked how difficult it was to be free in Japan, and how it can cause trouble in the music community if you publicly play music which may not be accepted, for whatever reason. So I think Okuda has been brave in creating his new style here. But I think it is no coincidence that it is more popular overseas, where people are less constrained by tradition or traditional ways of playing, and more open to the sound simply in terms of musical appreciation.

Traditional jinashi playing styles on the other hand tend to be, I would say much more "straightforward". Not sure if that's the right word to describe it exactly. But some of you here may have heard old recordings of Jin Nyodo or Miyagawa Nyozan or other such old recordings, and perhaps know what I mean. You may even think that their sound is nearer to what you imagine jiari/jinuri to sound like. There are some examples here:
http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … nryuu.html

or a direct example here of Miyagawa Nyozan:
http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … chousi.mp3

The characteristic sound of Watazumi's instruments is largely due to them being (often) fat and long. This is quite a new style of shakuhachi. In the Edo period shakuhachi were generally thin, often much thinner than modern jiari even, and, commonly less than 2.1 in length, 1.7 ~ 1.9 perhaps being the most common. In Kanto shakuhachi perhaps became fatter (therefore wider bored) around the time of Kurosawa Kinko III (1772-1816). He and his students made shakuhachi with wider bores and larger finger holes than their predecessors, so far as I have noticed. It seems perhaps around the time of Higuchi Taizan (1856-1914), fatter instruments were used by him and his followers in Kansai. I am not sure where the influence came from but it may have been from Kinko-ryu, as Higuchi Taizan studied under the 6th head of Kinko-ryu, Araki Chikuo (1823-1908). Some historians on the list might be able to detail the Kansai developments more clearly. Anyway, while the shakuhachi became fatter, they still remained short.

So far as I understand, it was in the 20th century that longer shakuhachi started to be popular. If anyone has details of this development, it would be great to hear more about it. I can share one example. Among Miyagawa Nyozan (1868-1946)'s students, Tani Kyochiku (1882-1950) rather than using shakuhachi like his teacher's, used long shakuhachi, I think around 2.5 shaku. His student Nishimura Koku (1915-2002) continued this trend by making even longer shakuhachi, often playing 3.0, and making 2.6 the standard length for his school (Tani-ha). These are also wide bore, similar to those of Watazumi. Nishimura Koku retained the Edo period techniques of applying urushi to the bore and making an utaguchi inlay, whereas Watazumi seems to have simplified his instruments by abandoning those two stages of construction. Although this makes them less durable, it makes them simpler to make with less training and fewer tools, which may help to encourage students to have a go making their own instruments. This also may go towards explaining Yokoyama's comments about "a really crude one that is cut out of a larger piece, with the mouthpiece just a simple slash across the bamboo at an angle and the insides just hollowed out."

Other people may also have been involved in this trend towards longer or fatter instruments. Perhaps others can offer more stories of the early stages of this trend. Kiku? Brian?

Anyway, Watazumi (1911-1992) was a part of this trend too. And this new style of instrument effects changes to the music. Miyagawa Nyozan composed the honkyoku Ajikan. He played it on a 1.8. One of his students mentioned above, Tani Kyochiku, on the other hand played it on his long shakuhachi, and probably largely due to the length of his shakuhachi, Tani's Ajikan became much slower. The longer instruments are conducive to a slower pace and more relaxed playing style. The wider bore also is conducive to a newer style.
I don't have a recording of Tani, but we can hear his student Nishimura Koku.
Miyagawa Nyozan:
http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … ajikan.mp3

Nishimura Koku:
http://www.komuso2.com/audio/636%20---%20Track%202.mp3

Interestingly, the older style of such players as Miyagawa Nyozan might be closer approximated by playing on a jinuri/jiari 1.8 than a fat 2.6 jinashi. That is not to say at all that one is better than the other. But it may be of interest to note.

So the new style of instrument goes towards changing the style of the music.
Watazumi himself made quite a new style of honkyoku playing. He had a number of teachers. He largely studied Taizan-ha. If you listen carefully to his Nezasa-ha pieces, you will hear Taizan-ha influence there. Similarly, you may notice that in non-Nezasa-ha pieces he often employs the Nezasa-ha technique of komibuki. These are some examples of how the music changed. He also largely adds his own very personal influence to the music, creating a new style unique to himself. This he applies to traditional pieces, and also he rearranged many pieces, in some cases even changing the names. Some people in Japan feel that he was going against the tradition, and may question the authenticity of his honkyoku. However, I find that what he has done seems actually quite similar to what Higuchi Taizan did. Higuchi Taizan came primarily from Seien-ryu (the honkyoku of Fudaiji, present day Nagoya area). He also studied gagaku, and incorporated gagaku nuances into his Seien repertoire, creating the basis for the versions of many of the most popular honkyoku played today. He also studied under other teachers, for example Araki Chikuo as mentioned above, including (and adapting) pieces from these other lineages into his repertoire to form what we now know as the Meian repertoire. (Interestingly, although he did study traditional Meian-ji pieces under Ozaki Shinryu (1817-89), so far as I understand he did not include any of the original Meian-ji (also pronounced Myoan-ji) pieces in his repertoire. That lineage was continued by Ozaki Shinryu's student Katsûra Shozan, and is known as Myoan Shimpo-ryu).

So Higuchi Taizan studied under a number of teachers from different lineages, and also other genres (gagaku), then collected pieces from these different lineages, sometimes rearranging them and sometimes also renaming them, and also changing the playing techniques (for example adding extra ornamentation) and general style. Altogether I find this quite similar to what Watazumi also did.

None of this information is necessary, of course, to be able to play the pieces. but I personally feel that my playing and also my experience of the music is enriched by gaining understanding of the lineage of transmission of the pieces, and their development through time.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#163 2009-05-09 08:10:31

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Ohh... this thread is wonderful. It got two risen from the grave. Well, it's that time of the year too.
As Ed said

edosan wrote:

Rumours of your death must be exaggerated.

Welcome back on the forum, Justin! wink I am sure we will hear more from you in the future.

The meditation centre where I live has a 'weekend of work' this weekend and then I have 8 concerts next week in Copenhagen...
So some silence from me on this front. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#164 2009-05-09 08:12:25

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Oh, nice avatar!
Now I almost feel like a Walkyrie smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#165 2009-05-09 08:26:17

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Ohh... this thread is wonderful. It got two risen from the grave. Well, it's that time of the year too.
As Ed said

edosan wrote:

Rumours of your death must be exaggerated.

Welcome back on the forum, Justin! wink I am sure we will hear more from you in the future.

The meditation centre where I live has a 'weekend of work' this weekend and then I have 8 concerts next week in Copenhagen...
So some silence from me on this front. smile

Hi Kiku
Thanks for the welcome! It may only be a temporary visit though. I'm still very busy and don't have time for the forum to be honest. Plus, my computer will be away for a while for repairs soon. Just thought I'd pop in and say hello with these interesting threads. Jinashi and tengai! Where else in the world can we talk about those with such passion! smile

Great that you're living in a meditation centre. I hope it goes well for you. And good luck with your 8 concerts. Must be a lot of fun!

Best wishes
Justin

#166 2009-05-10 12:17:00

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Lodro said: I don't know very much at all about the shakuhachi having taken up the habit only 1 month ago and this is simply my personal opinion but why not ask/consult with the traditional owners of the instrument. It's their instrument, their tradition. That's what we do in Aboriginal Australia (or at least we're meant to anyway). Respect and empowerment to the tradition. Besides they might have the answers.

Asking the Japanese (an account of questions asked before a spring concert rehearsal)

Let me tell you a tale of nine shakuhachi players
What they thought of ji mori and moru
Now I might be accused of beating up on Equus
But take note this is a true story
The nine are all Japanese masters (amateur players)
Who've played bamboo for more than twenty years
And some have played for longer still, for more than fifty summers

The first guy I chose was ninety years old
And I said what do you think of ji-mori?
He said "Moriageru?" I said "No,
ji o moru" ; he replied "Well, there is no such word"

But I'd heard it on the forum and I didn't want to bore him
So I buttonholed player number two
He was a guy from Tozan school
Who seemed kind of put off or embarrassed
As he had never heard the word
A little later he said "For wabi-sabi try ji-nashi"

On to number three, another Tozan master
One who leads the city's three instrument group
"I've heard the word ji moru," he replied to my query
"But the term that's correct to use is ji-ire"

Four was a long time student of Kawase
And the director of our current concert practice
He's got the kind of neiro we can only dream of
And has been playing for over forty years now
He didn't have a clue as to "mori" or "moru"
Never having heard the words in all his stage life

The next Kinko maestro was a knowledgeable dude
With quite a good grasp of history
He had read of "ji wo moru" in one tome or another
And said he'd call me if he solved the mystery

Now I was up to player number six
A sometimes student of Ishikawa's
Occasionally he takes lessons in Osaka
"Yes, I know that word; it's putting jabs of ji inside a flute;
It's a term commonly heard."

Number seven was a Kinko shihan
And what he said roughly translates as
"I don't know it but I can guess what it means;
Putting spots of ji in certain places"

I sought out another player
Before the afternoon's rehearsal began
He was also a Kinko man
Upon hearing my question he just made a strange face
Who was this daft gaijin anyway?

I waited till the end to ask a teacher and a friend
I found he'd played in Venice and Vienna
He'd been to Colorado and knew Yokoyama well
We'd sometimes traveled to Bisei together

"Yes, it could be that the term was used historically
Perhaps it went out of use when ji flutes took over"
Then he mentioned how flute craftsmen in Japan
Had different ways of making in
East and West Japan

I think this verse needs some modification but
I've run out of rhyme and time
We can see quite a lot of variety in answers upon addressing the questions to Japanese players...

p.s.  I called my shakuhachi maker in Kansai yesterday and was discussing the question of ji-mori with him.  He uses the phrase "ji o moru" and like several of the people I asked today he sees the term as describing a process, a way of applying ji to certain points in the bore of a shakuhachi and describes flutes as being either ji-nashi or ji-ari.  No one I have talked to yet has heard of ji-mori kan or ji-mori as a type of shakuhachi though of course they can understand the concept.   One of the shakuhachi masters I talked to today said that Japanese would probably eventually adopt the terminology from the West as has often happened in Japanese history.  The lady of the house where I live, probably my best critic, understands the concept of ji-mori, says it is very Japanese and thinks it could be quite useful in differentiating flutes in a way that is easy to understand.  As it is now in Japan things are often quite fuzzy as has already been pointed out...shades of grey etc., the terms and definitions used by scholars don't necessarily correspond to the way they are used by most players of the instrument, though Kochi is perhaps something of a backwater; we'll get the terminology sometime after it reaches Tokyo, Osaka etc.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2009-05-11 01:37:38)

#167 2009-05-14 21:58:26

Riley Lee
Website

The following is in answer to Kiku’s previous post #125 of this thread. I recommend reading/reviewing what Kiku wrote before continuing.

Firstly, thank you Kiku for finally responding to my repeated requests for answers to a few questions I posed earlier, even if belatedly and somewhat heatedly. Never mind all of that; I will try to address only the parts of post #125 that might appeal to the Forum members. I will ignore the less interesting bits, the accusations and so forth. I would only like to remind us all, of the moderator’s request in the Forum’s “Read First” section: “When posting to the forum, please be nice. Respectful, civil interaction and debate keeps us closer to the original purpose of a forum.”

Secondly, many might think that I am making a big deal over nothing. In answer to that, may I point out that this entire Forum might be making a big deal over nothing (pardon the Zen pun).

More importantly, I first brought up and continue to bring up the subject of terminology only because it obviously is a VERY BIG DEAL in this section of the Forum. This section has two ‘stickies’, which are posts that are always listed first and that never go away. The very first, #1 Sticky is entitled, “Ji-nashi terminology”.  So, terminology must be very important here. Does any other section of the Forum begin with a ‘sticky’ called ‘terminology’?

For those who have not recently reviewed #1 Sticky, the ‘terminology’ sticky, I recommend that they do so now.

The problem is not with ‘Kiku’s’ terms (meaning she adopted them – she wrote the ‘sticky’ - neither inferring that they are Kiku’s personally, nor that she has any emotional involvement in them) and not with their definitions. It does not matter who originated the terms. They would not be less valid if Kiku had created and defined them personally, nor are they more valid just because my colleagues Simura and Tukitani first explained them to Kiku. 

The definitions as presented are not ‘too difficult to understand’, even for me. #1 Sticky is there in order to help clarify what Kiku rightly perceives to be a confusion that exists amongst the numerically very small but ever-growing number of people whose interests lie primarily with shakuhachi made without ji. The confusion that Kiku would like to help clear up lies mainly with other terms, kyotaku, hotchiku, hôchiku, etc. I believe that Kiku started another thread entitled, “Kyotaku”, in order to further deal with the confusion (see below).
No disagreement so far, I think.

As mentioned previously, anyone can define any word any way they choose, particularly in academic discourse. Thought-provoking, logical definitions might be better than ones chosen without any reason at all, but the choice is yours. Once a word is defined arbitrarily in this way however, it is best to use the definition consistently; if not, they soon lose their usefulness.

The definitions in #1 Sticky fall into this first category of arbitrary definitions. No problems.

There is another type of definition, the ‘common usage’ type. Dictionaries are full of these. This type is defined by common usage. If enough people use a word to mean a certain thing, then the word will eventually be ‘officially’ defined by that meaning by the dictionaries. This type of definition frequently changes over time, but the change usually takes decades if not centuries. This is what Justin called ‘the real world’.

Common usage definitions are frequently illogical, confusing (especially confusing), contradictory, nonsensical, vague and redundant, possibly because frequently their creators are also all of the above. Nevertheless, most people tend to understand them, not with much precision perhaps, but well enough, precisely because they are used commonly.
Okay so far?

Here is where we might disagree, though by not as much as one might think.

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE:  Arbitrary/Common Usage Muddle #1
The definitions in #1 Sticky are an attempt to simplify the terminology surrounding flutes that have little or no ‘ji’. The three terms, jinashi, jimori and jinuri are arbitrarily chosen and defined. They are examples of the first type of definition. As such, they are not ‘generic terms’. The definitions in #1 Sticky are arbitrary. The meaning assigned to one word conflicts with its ‘common usage meaning (see below) and the meanings assigned to the other two don't’ fit their literal Japanese definitions (see below).

Mix up perfectly legitimate ‘arbitrary’ definitions with ‘common usage’ definitions and the result is often a muddle. Also, arguing against other people’s arbitrary terminology while defining one’s own further tends to muddy the waters.

People are always creating arbitrary definitions. A pertinent example is Nishimura Koku and his followers. Nishimura decided to arbitrarily define a pre-existing term (kyotaku). His definition (see: http://myoanflute.blogspot.com/) implies that flutes by any other name (eg. jinuri and jinashi) are inferior to kyotaku.  The above blog explicitly states this with regard to jinuri / ji-ari flutes.

Because Nishimura’s ‘kyotaku’ belongs to the first type of terminology, he is free to use the term any way he likes. We can point out problems, such as his convenient omission that the “Kyotaku Denki”, the source of the term, and which he uses to give legitimacy to his arbitrary definition, is a piece of fiction, a fraud. The general consensus is that the document was written in the 17th century, though it claims to have been written in the 12th century. To call it ‘history’ is inaccurate and misleading.

Nevertheless, Nishimura and his followers can define the word ‘kyotaku’ to mean anything they want, however problematic that definition might be. The same is true with the term ‘hocchiku/hotchiku’.

I was interested to read in posting #7 of the ‘kyotaku’ thread, that according to Tilo, ‘kyotaku’ flutes are different from (meaning ‘better’ than) mere jinashi flutes because more work has been done on them (painted with urushi and inlay added at the blowing edge) and so they are more refined. Yet not even Tilo however, could argue that these attributes make them different from jinashi flutes as defined in #1 Sticky. Refinements such as these play no part in the terminology.

BTW, Kiku tried to initiate a discussion of Nishimura’s writings, in the thread entitled “Kyotaku”. Her first entry quoted writings by and about Nishimura, who appropriated the term ‘kyotaku’ to describe his flutes, and invited responses. It was interesting to note that there were none; initially no one replied to this post. Possible conclusion: very few knew and even less cared about what Nishimura calls his flutes. But if I was really into, for example, jinashi flutes and someone else starts calling his flutes by a catchy name, implying that they are special, even though they are really just jinashi, then I would be bothered by this, too.

We can’t stop people from using these terms, though we don’t have to accept them. One can’t really say that such arbitrary definitions are ‘wrong’ and I’m glad to see that when Kiku did so in #1 Sticky, she immediately followed with a qualifying ‘it’s only my opinion’. In my opinion however, one need not and really shouldn’t express one’s opinion about others’ arbitrary definitions when defining one’s own terms. So, I suggest that #1 Sticky be rewritten (see below) to include only the arbitrarily defined terms used in this section of the Forum. The terms could be defined as ‘such and such’ without defending them and with no reference to other terms.

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO: Arbitrary/Common Usage Muddle #2 - Jinashi versus Jinashi
The word, jinashi has entered into the category of common usage, unlike jimori, kyotaku, hocchiku and maybe even jiari/jinuri, since there is still the confusion of two terms to mean the one thing. Everyone uses the term, ‘jinashi’.

As is so often the case, even though it has a literal meaning in Japanese (without ji), it is commonly used, in Japanese as well as in English, to mean something different or broader. The term shakuhachi is another example of this. Everyone knows that even though the word in Japanese literally means “one ‘shaku’ and eight ‘sun’” or” 1.8 feet”, in addition to this specific linear measurement, it also refers to a bamboo flute, amongst other things.

As Daniel illustrated with his examples, jinashi is commonly used to mean flutes with little or no ji, that is, not jinuri flutes, but also not solely jinashi flutes as defined in #1 Sticky. The common way jinashi is used also includes some jimori flutes. There is nothing wrong with this; by definition, common usage definitions are never ‘wrong’, and it is usually futile fighting against them.

In all likelihood, the term ‘jinashi’ will always mean things other than its literal definition. To me, and to many others, for example, jinashi also denotes a tone quality, though flutes with ji can also have that quality.

Problems may arise when a common usage word is used as an arbitrary term AND when the definitions of both are so close as to cause confusion. This is why I suggested the arbitrary term, ‘senchiku’. Since ‘jinashi’ is taken to mean more than just shakuhachi with absolutely no ji, why struggle against that? It would make more sense to adopt another, precise and arbitrary term. The term, jimori is such an adopted word, a precedent for adopting ‘senchiku’.

The new term doesn’t have to be senchiku. It could be anything as long as it doesn’t already have a common usage definition that will add to the confusion. By arbitrarily defining another term to take on the meaning presently assigned to jinashi, the term jinashi can revert back its common meaning, which incorporates ‘senchiku’ (or whatever), jimori, kyotaku and hocchiku. By doing so, the title of this section finally begins to make sense (it doesn’t now, as so much more is discussed here than just jinashi flutes as the word is presently, narrowly defined).

And yet...
Even though I am beginning to warm to the term ‘senchiku’, probably the simpler solution would be to acknowledge that jinashi literally means absolutely no ji, but has unfortunately, at least in terms of precise definitions, come to also mean flutes that have all the characteristics of those without any ji at all, but may have some ji, too.

PROBLEM NUMBER THREE: Shades of Grey
As Justin summarised in his post #146, it’s easy to differentiate between absolutely no ji (what I suggested calling senchiku) and even a little ji (jimori). There is however, no clear delineation between jimori and jinuri. How do we deal with the ‘how many grams’ question?

It helps to have a term that is vague enough to cover much of the grey area. I am suggesting that the common definition of jinashi be maintained, even though it’s not the literal meaning of the word, in part because the vagueness of that ‘real world’ definition is useful. Yet it really only covers the bottom end of the spectrum – the senchiku/barely jimori flutes.

I can’t think of any solutions to this problem. Perhaps the best solution for now is to acknowledge that there is a grey area between jimori and jinuri and leave it at that.

PROBLEM NUMBER FOUR: “A superior tone”
The entire topic of this section is mostly about wanting a flute with a ‘superior tone’. But that ‘s not what I’m talking about.

It is important and yet difficult to avoid sounding superior. A superior tone can be easily implied in what one writes. For example, in my opinion, the blog about Nishimura and his ‘kyotaku’ reeks of a superior tone. There is an even greater danger of others hearing, or reading a superior tone into a text where none was intended. Prime examples of this can be found in this thread. In any case, one should try to avoid writing with a superior tone as much as possible.

As it is written now, #1 Sticky implies that jinashi flutes are the best. Quotation marks used with the word “improved” suggest that there really wasn’t any improvement with the addition of ji. This may be true, but people who use jinuri flutes (the overwhelming majority of shakuhachi players) would find this implication condescending.

Also, the single biggest reason why I found the term jimori distasteful was the way #1 Sticky described them as being ‘reasonably priced, well-tuned alternatives’ to jinashi flutes.

The expression ‘reasonably priced, well-tuned alternatives’ implies that if price was no concern then why on earth would you possibly want a jimori flute when you could get a superior jinashi flute? Plastic recorders are reasonably priced and well-tuned alternatives to Fred Morgan recorders. Flying economy class is a reasonably priced alternative to flying first class.

I have had, since the 1970s, several flutes with only a bit of ji in the bottom end of the bamboo, perhaps just like the ones Kiku mentions having seen in #1 Sticky. According to our terminology, they are definitely jimori. These flutes have, in my opinion, the ‘amazing tone qualities’ that have all of us so captivated. I personally like their tone better than almost all jinashi flutes I’ve played or heard. Furthermore, they cost far more than any jinashi I’ve ever come across. They are NOT mere ‘reasonably priced, well-tuned alternatives’ to jinashi flutes, and so by extension, I don’t want to call them jimori flutes, at least as they are described in #1 Sticky.

Of course, my flutes themselves are quite comfortable being classified under the legitimate, arbitrary definition of jimori. I would be too, if the offending, superior sounding passages in #1 Sticky were removed.

PROBLEM NUMBER FIVE: Literal Meanings
This problem is one that may have to stay, as it might be too hard to fix in our lifetimes. But it is worth pointing out.

The term jinashi literally means “without ji”, yet is commonly used to refer to flutes with some ji. This conflict between the literal meaning and the common usage has already been noted.

Also, the term, ‘mori’ in jimori can mean, “pile up, heap on, serve up, etc.”. On the other hand, the term ‘nuri’ in jinuri means, “to paint, plaster, lacquer, varnish, spread, smear, daub, etc”. Finally, the term ‘ari’ in jiari can mean just ‘is’ or ‘exist’.

In other words, all three words presently used in #1 Sticky have literal meanings that don’t fit that well with their arbitrary definitions.

It would be more in keeping with the original, literal meanings, if jimori was defined as shakuhachi totally full of (piled on) ji. The term, jinuri conveys far better the concept of daubing or smearing just a bit of ji onto the bore. The term, jiari just means ‘there is ji’, again seemingly more suited to what is now called jimori.

But the common usage definition of jinashi is here to stay, and the definition of the terms jinuri/jiari is also too widely accepted to change. If that is the case, then it’s probably better to keep jimori as is, too.

To reward those of you who have lasted this far, here is a little known fact for those who enjoy learning something new about shakuhachi every day. Perhaps, the deciding factor that finally overcame my resistance to adopting the term ‘jimori’ was my knowing that one dictionary definition of the character used for ‘mori’ (盛) is ‘to copulate’ (usually in reference to animals, as in a stallion ‘servicing’ a mare). In my opinion, this is most appropriate, since in Japan, one ‘common usage’ meaning of the word, shakuhachi is fellatio. I’ll leave the reasoning behind the latter to your fertile imaginations.

Moral: if you are going to use Japanese terms, try to learn about their literal, original and alternative meanings and allusions. And don’t be surprised at what you learn.

CONCLUSION:
I suggest that #1 Sticky be changed to the following:

[BEGIN QUOTE]

In order to avoid confusion, the following terms and definitions will be used in this section:

Jinashi shakuhachi (地無し) literally ‘without ji’ (generic term that denotes flutes with either little or no ji, in contrast to its literal meaning).

Jimori shakuhachi (地盛り尺八): literally ‘[a] serving of ji’ (denotes shakuhachi where there is some ji in the bore, but not where the entire bore is built up with ji).

Jinuri shakuhachi (地塗り尺八): literally ‘painted or smeared with ji’ (denotes shakuhachi where the entire bore is built up with ji). The term, jiari (地有り): literally ‘ji exists’, also refers to this type of flute. There is no clear delineation between jimori and jinuri/jiari flutes, but in most cases the difference is noticeable.

Note: The difference between the literal meaning of the word ‘jinashi’ and its commonly used meaning is a source of confusion. Examples of more precise terminology to denotes shakuhachi where the material is only bamboo;, with no ji at all, include simply, ‘true jinashi’, or the term ‘senchiku’ (專 竹尺八), literally ‘exclusively bamboo’.

Also, other terms, such as ‘kyotaku’ and ‘hocchiku’ are not included in this list as they are encompassed by the term, jinashi. Furthermore, the inclusion of or lack of urushi (lacquer) or blowing edge inlays in the construction does not affect the definitions of the three terms.

[END QUOTE]

Short and sweet, unlike this post.

Last edited by Riley Lee (2009-05-14 22:02:28)

#168 2009-05-14 23:19:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Wow it's scary when Ph.D.'s and Ph.D. candidates get on the forum, we might have to buy more bandwidth! lol

#169 2009-05-14 23:22:25

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

Wow it's scary when Ph.D.'s and Ph.D. candidates get on the forum, we might have to buy more bandwidth! lol

It's a carefully guarded secret that Ph.D. actually stands for 'Piled higher and Deeper'....

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#170 2009-05-15 00:42:27

Moran from Planet X
Website

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/3532142647_87841cef8a_o.jpg

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#171 2009-05-15 02:47:44

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Riley Lee wrote:

To reward those of you who have lasted this far, here is a little known fact for those who enjoy learning something new about shakuhachi every day. Perhaps, the deciding factor that finally overcame my resistance to adopting the term ‘jimori’ was my knowing that one dictionary definition of the character used for ‘mori’ (盛) is ‘to copulate’ (usually in reference to animals, as in a stallion ‘servicing’ a mare). In my opinion, this is most appropriate, since in Japan, one ‘common usage’ meaning of the word, shakuhachi is fellatio. I’ll leave the reasoning behind the latter to your fertile imaginations.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/nechan_62_small.gif

#172 2009-05-15 06:55:42

No-sword
Website

No offence, Riley, I've learned a lot from your work, but I really have trouble with "senchiku". It sounds like it ought to mean "bamboo used for/dedicated to only one thing" or "one bamboo/shakuhachi elevated above many others" rather than "thing made of only bamboo." If you can explain how you came up with that one I'd be interested in hearing about it (maybe via mail if it's too esoteric/off-topic for the forum).

More fundamentally, is it really wise for the English-language online shakuhachi forum to start making up entirely new Japanese words to describe aspects of an originally-Japanese phenomenon? I doubt that anyone, Japanese or otherwise, would understand "senchiku" without an explanation or a good guess; the Japanese speakers who really care about this sort of thing already have terminology (it seems); so what is the point?

Completely off-topic: All that aside, I do see a place for the word "chikusen", which would fit alongside other "-sen" slang words and mean "bamboo fetishist.")

Matt / no-sword.jp

#173 2009-05-15 07:23:03

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

No-sword wrote:

the English-language online shakuhachi forum

Sure most of it is English but any language is OK, we've had some tasty German, French, Italian, Spanish and Czech posts. lol

International Shakuhachi BBQ.

#174 2009-05-15 08:09:57

Riley Lee
Website

No-sword wrote:

...but I really have trouble with "senchiku".
...the Japanese speakers who really care about this sort of thing already have terminology (it seems); so what is the point?

I have trouble with it too; that's why I left it out in my final definitions. The Japanese who really care are few and far between. They have tended to make up their own words (kyotaku, hocchiku, etc.), which have not clarified anything. As stated in a previous post, my personal preference would be to use only the broad, all encompassing term, shakuhachi. After that, maybe just 'jinashi' and 'jinuri'.

No-sword wrote:

Completely off-topic: All that aside, I do see a place for the word "chikusen", which would fit alongside other "-sen" slang words and mean "bamboo fetishist.")

Ah! I didn't know that ..... :-)

#175 2009-05-15 12:07:38

edosan
Edomologist

No-sword wrote:

(maybe via mail if it's too esoteric/off-topic for the forum).

Hah. Like that's even the vaguest of possibilities smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

• Index
  •  » Ji-nashi
  •  » To Ji or not to Ji that is the question.

Board footer