Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-09 00:13:27

Larry

My utaguchi fell off!

After a multiple hour playing session the utaguchi on my 2.4 fell off.  I was wiping a bit of sand from the inside (not applying much pressure) and it popped out.  Could this be caused by being damp for too long?  It's a jinashi flute with a thin coat of lacquer to protect the bore, so maybe it just wasn't sealed down enough?  I don't know anything about flute making so I'm just curious what might have caused this.

Last edited by Larry (2006-07-09 00:16:15)

#2 2006-07-09 02:59:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: My utaguchi fell off!

I don't know why this happened but it's a good example why not to put an utaguchi inlay in a flute. By the way, you rocked in Pittburgh!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-07-09 08:23:56

edosan
Edomologist

With all due respect to Tairaku, it's more reasonably a good example of why the maker should use an adequate adhesive when installing an utaguchi inlay in a flute. It is rare to hear of an inlay separating from a flute; I have never encountered it, either with my own flutes or with the many flutes belonging to friends or aquaintances over 16 years of shakuhachi playing.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2006-07-09 09:41:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I don't know if this is cause and effect or not but most of my favorite shakuhachi don't have any inlay. As far as utaguchi inlays coming undone, this has happened to me several times and to my friends. They also have a tendency to chip. When purchasing vintage flutes it is not uncommon to find that the utaguchi has been replaced. Why? Obviously they get damaged.

Flutes with no inlay tend to have a mellower sound, although I can't say for sure it's because they have no inlay. It could be because the general philosophy of makers who don't use inlays is different. I have discussed this at great length with my buddies who are makers. They say the only reason they put one in is because the customers want it.

Here is an interesting statement made by Riley Lee on his website:

"Blowing Edge Inlays And About The Flutes I Use And Play

I have found that inlays do very little to the texture of the sound. I've broken inlays and the flutes played no differently. I've played on flutes with the inlay totally knocked out. The sound was a little bit fuzzier; that's all."

If Riley is correct, then why bother with an inlay? It seems like the main reason is for ryu identification and uninspected tradition. Most of us outside of Japan are Kinko players or in schools related to Kinko who would use Kinko utaguchi. Because of the shape of the Kinko utaguchi it seems more unstable and prone to damage than Tozan or Myoan utaguchi. I prefer Myoan/Tozan shapes. I've also had less problems with that shape than with the Kinko shape. Perry Yung and his teacher Kinya Sogawa use a nice variant which they call "Kinya" utaguchi. Perry, if you're reading this, would you care to comment on why you use that shape rather than Kinko?

Some people say that an utaguchi inlay keeps the blowing edge hard and stops it from becoming soggy during long practice sessions. I don't know what the disadvantage of a soggy utaguchi would be. Nevertheless I think this doesn't happen. I've never noticed it. You can always coat the naked utaguchi with a layer of clear (or colored) lacquer to get protection.

I realize I'm out of the mainstream on this, but it's fun to discuss. I would be interested in hearing from makers on this subject. Players as well. Is there any reason to want an utaguchi inlay, any preference between styles and if you were going to have a flute made to order, would you want one?

Looks like we already had this discussion once before:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=96

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-07-09 11:35:54

Larry

Well, the good news is the utaguchi was undamaged when it fell out, so I was able to tap it back into place and the flute plays just fine.  As long as I'm careful, it shouldn't be a problem.  Eventually I'll send it back to the maker to be re-glued, but it's going to be hard to part with it.

I'll definitely consider not getting an inlay with my next flute, which won't be for a while.  I'd rather spend my money on lessons at the moment.

Thanks for the kind words Tairaku, I had a lot of fun playing with you guys!

#6 2006-07-09 13:46:01

evan kubota

There is no inherent problem with a properly done inlay. If it just popped out from moisture, either the manufacturer didn't use a suitable adhesive as Ed pointed out or there was no adhesive at all and it was just held in by friction... you can easily glue it in place yourself.

Both of my purchased bamboo shakuhachi have inlays, but I don't have a strong preference either way. Both styles are nice.

#7 2006-07-09 16:19:19

Karmajampa
Website

Somewhere in my enquiries I have read that inlays are not necessarily glued in, this may have been the case with yours Larry, you may find it continues to perform just fine, but perhaps if it appears to be loose, glue it in to prevent losing it !

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#8 2006-07-09 20:01:00

edosan
Edomologist

Larry wrote:

Well, the good news is the utaguchi was undamaged when it fell out, so I was able to tap it back into place and the flute plays just fine.  As long as I'm careful, it shouldn't be a problem.  Eventually I'll send it back to the maker to be re-glued, but it's going to be hard to part with it.

If you feel confidant in doing it, it's fairly straightforward to do your own repair on the inlay.

One good method is:

• Check that the inlay fits very well into its well. This is important; it must fit closely.

• If it does, go to your local hobby store and get some THIN cyanoacrylate adhesive, like this...

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/3294/cyanoacrylatethin4cd.jpg

These are both readily available good brands. The key is to get the THIN stuff (it comes in thicker viscosities as well) and the smallest quantity. 1/2 ounce will cost between 3 and 5 bucks.

• Cut off the very tip of the glue bottle to make a very small opening. Drip a little glue onto a scrap of paper to get a feel for handling it; it's a really runny liquid.

• Place the utaguchi inlay into position, making sure the surfaces at the outside bevel are flush with each other.

• Clamp the flute horizontally, with the utaguchi and four-hole side down, so you have access to the INSIDE of the inlay.

• Put 2-3 small drops of glue onto the joint between the inlay piece and the cut-out in the flute. The glue will be pulled into the joint by capillary action. It doesn't take much glue. 2-3 drops are sufficient to hold the inlay in place, and may be enough for the whole repair. You don't want glue running all over the place in and out of the flute...

• Leave the flute alone for a minute or so (it'll cure much faster than this, but this is to be safe).

• Take a close look at the bevel-side of the utaguchi and see if the joint is cleanly filled. If not, clamp the flute so that the bevel is in the same plane as the floor, and put a very small drop or two into any small gap in the joint. Leave it alone for 2-3 minutes.

• If the glue cures a bit proud of the bevel surface, you can flatten it again using some 150-grit garnet sandpaper backed up by a small block of wood to keep it flat. After that, use some 220 grit, and you're done.

This seems very involved, but it's really quite simple. The key is: practice a bit with the glue bottle; use small amounts.

Bon voyage...

Last edited by edosan (2006-07-09 22:25:36)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2006-07-09 20:37:36

Karmajampa
Website

1200 wet/dry sandpaper gives a good polish to bamboo.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#10 2006-07-10 03:32:22

dstone
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Players as well. ...  if you were going to have a flute made to order, would you want one?

I'm just a novice player and really novice maker but, for what it's worth, none of my flutes have an inlay and I think it will mostly stay that way. I do give the mouthpiece bevels, top cuts, and inner rings a very thin coating, sanding, and polishing of Hot Stuff as pictured in Ed's post.  This makes for beautiful, nearly invisible, hard protection.

This preference is likely a result of my upbringing.  I witness my teacher and other influential players playing jinashi nobekan without inlays and without concern or limitation.

I think the materials and craftsmanship of an inlay can be very beautiful.  But I like how Albert Einstein said it (sort of), "[a flute] should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." 

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2006-07-10 03:49:31)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#11 2006-07-10 21:52:46

Michael Howard
Website

Interesting topic and one that has been a favorite of mine with a Shaku buddy for sometime. I do not have a problem with inlays at all, I simply prefer not to use them or put them on my flutes. Some of my oldest flutes that go way back and have been played relentlessly have perfect utaguchi's, not one nick or trace of instability. Of course I am very picky about cleaning my instruments, making sure they are stored properly have caps and so..but I think there is much confusion especially among folks that are new as to what purpose the inlay serves. I get e-mails all the time concerning my flutes from folks wondering why there is no inlay and does this alter the sound of the flute or somehow make it inferior or structurally weaker and my answer ito that and some may disagree is no. I also agree with the comment above that often times the inlay serves as a better way to market the flute or increase the price. I have known folks who bought crap flutes with inlays for a very expensive price when they could have bought a beautiful professional instrument with no inly that would have brought them much more joy and saved them a ton of money. But, I guess this is all a matter of opinion and I hope not to step on anyone's toes here. I find it interesting though that many flutes from the 40's and 50's have lost there inlays..anyhow, interesting.

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

#12 2006-07-11 16:00:41

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Larry wrote:

After a multiple hour playing session the utaguchi on my 2.4 fell off.  I was wiping a bit of sand from the inside (not applying much pressure) and it popped out.  Could this be caused by being damp for too long?  It's a jinashi flute with a thin coat of lacquer to protect the bore, so maybe it just wasn't sealed down enough?  I don't know anything about flute making so I'm just curious what might have caused this.

Larry,

I've found that utaguchi pop outs are common sources of repair requests. The adhesive used, surface area and fit all seem to play a role in keeping the utaguchi intact. Also, with moisture, dryness, climate changes, etc., any addition made to a flute can respond differently than the original material.

In my experience, the process Ed described above is a good way to secure and strengthen the seal.

Good luck,
Ken

Tairaku wrote:

I would be interested in hearing from makers on this subject. Players as well. Is there any reason to want an utaguchi inlay, any preference between styles and if you were going to have a flute made to order, would you want one?

When making a shakuhachi for myself, I choose not to include an utaguchi. If I felt there was a functional advantage to one, I would include it. In my experience, natural edge shakuhachi require less repair than shakuhachi with utaguchi. Also, when a repair IS needed, it is less invasive. Personally, I don't think the utaguchi itself changes the tone, but rather how the material present is shaped.

I understand and appreciate the aesthetic appeal of an utaguchi. It looks cool! For me, however, it does not override the desire to make a flute that has less to go wrong later.

Ken

#13 2006-07-11 18:21:09

Larry

Thanks for the advice and comments everyone!  I haven't made up my mind on what to do yet, but most likely I'll just glue it myself using the method Edosan posted.

#14 2006-07-11 22:54:42

edosan
Edomologist

If you do, just make sure you 'test drive' the glue bottle before proceeding....smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#15 2006-07-12 17:33:28

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Brian, thanks for the question. Things are crazy busy around here as we're trying to potty train one while the other starts walking!

Tairaku wrote:

If Riley is correct, then why bother with an inlay? It seems like the main reason is for ryu identification and uninspected tradition. Most of us outside of Japan are Kinko players or in schools related to Kinko who would use Kinko utaguchi. Because of the shape of the Kinko utaguchi it seems more unstable and prone to damage than Tozan or Myoan utaguchi. I prefer Myoan/Tozan shapes. I've also had less problems with that shape than with the Kinko shape. Perry Yung and his teacher Kinya Sogawa use a nice variant which they call "Kinya" utaguchi. Perry, if you're reading this, would you care to comment on why you use that shape rather than Kinko?

Acknowledging tradition and lineage is a big part of Japanese culture. After all, how many countries can trace their royal lineage of 120 Emperors back to 660 B.C?. Sometimes lineages are purposely broken and new ones are started. This is what I believe the Kinya style utaguchi is about. Kinya is a special shakuhachi jin in Japan. He is that rare breed, both a professional player and maker. John Neptune is another. To buck tradition is to go out on a limb and either be highly criticized or idolized (John Neptune and his large bore, large finger holed flutes caused quite a stir when they were first introduced). By creating his Kinya style utaguchi, he is in effect creating a Ryu, making a statement that he thinks the shakuhachi can go another way (like Nakao Tozan). So far, no one I know has criticized him. On the contrary, in my travels through Japan, when ever I said I was studying with Kinya, the doors flew open and I got the biggest smiles. One shakuhachi teacher said Kinya was his favorite person on the planet. Kinya's generous spirit and approach to making and playing gave me direction in what I needed to do with the shakuhachi. I mean, here is a guy who's playing could be heard on Nintendo games and film soundtracks (includining the recent Jet Li film) AND he's making Hocchiku in between his modern Jiari flutes!

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/sogawauta.jpg

Sogawa style inlay.

In case some of you do not know what Kinya's utaguchi style looks like, here's one I did on a recent Earth model. In the tradition of Japanese culture, I am happy and humbled that I can acknowlege him as a teacher and mentor. It should also be said that this acknowledgment does not detract from the gratitude I have for all my wonderful teachers. Most of whom are Kinko based players of the Jin Nyodo and Yamaguchi Goro lineages. That's why I also make Kinko style utaguchi inlays. Those interested can read about my Kinko teachers at http://www.yungflutes.com

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/larryut6.jpg

A YUNG model 1.8 with sterling silver lined buffalo horn.

I once made a Tozan 2.4 shakuhachi for Fugimoto san in Tokyo. He's been a Tozan player for 30 years. Why he came to me I'm not sure. I just made the flute with the fastest attack I could and put a Tozan utaguchi on it. He wrote back the he played it for three hours straight right when he got it and was very happy with it.

http://www.yungflutes.com/ebayphotos/fugimotout4.jpg

Some people say that an utaguchi inlay keeps the blowing edge hard and stops it from becoming soggy during long practice sessions. I don't know what the disadvantage of a soggy utaguchi would be. Nevertheless I think this doesn't happen. I've never noticed it. You can always coat the naked utaguchi with a layer of clear (or colored) lacquer to get protection.

True, the utaguchi inlay itself does not affect the sound or playbility. It does, however, keep the blowing edge sharp which does affect the two. A flute with an utaguchi that had fallen out can be played quite well but it won't have the responsiveness and quicker attack of one with a sharp blowing edge. The mellow sound you get from the old flutes can be partly attributed to a worn or dull utaguchi. I have found this to be true from my experimentations, examinations and refurbishings of old flutes with dull edges. I always warn the owner that when the utaguchi is refurbished, the flute will play differently.

BTW, As Ken pointed out, utaguchi repair is in fact also a large part of my repair work. It's second to cracks.

I realize I'm out of the mainstream on this, but it's fun to discuss. I would be interested in hearing from makers on this subject. Players as well. Is there any reason to want an utaguchi inlay, any preference between styles and if you were going to have a flute made to order, would you want one?

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/earthuta.jpg

Here's what I do with my EARTH model flutes. You can see how sharp the blowing edge is, it's paper thin. It will get dull over time (that depends upon how much the player plays).  If the player wants it to mellow like wine, then no utaguchi is done.

Why do I do utaguchi inlays? Why do some Japanese lacquer artists apply gold leaf under the lacquer on bowls where no one will see it?  Why did the Gibson luthiers do MOP inlays of a Humming bird on a guitar pick guard? Maybe it's tradition, maybe it's partaking in the highest caliber of the craft,

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/moputa6.jpg
or maybe it's just that they're pretty darn cool looking. 

All the best.
Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-03-01 10:12:27)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer