Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-25 02:47:02

John Roff

Shakuhachi in South Africa

Hi folks

I'm just starting out in this adventure of making and playing Shakuhachi. I'm living in South Africa, and haven't yet met anyone else in this country who has played Shakuhachi. I use the instrument in many ways, one of the most interesting being to help build deeper connections between people and nature. I work in a botanical garden, and take people on guided tours and walks, both here and in the natural areas around my town. The flute music seems to help people to slow down, listen to natural sounds and somehow more deeply appreciate natural places.

I am making my own instruments, and have recently got a Yuu. I make mine out of what I think is Phyllostachys aurea - madake is not common here. I make a range of sizes, and go for the jinashi approach, preferring to let the natural sound of the bamboo come out. I play all sorts of music on them, composing as I go, and am slowly learning the Kinko notation and trying to work through an introductory lesson from Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin. I'm really enjoying the adventure of this flute all that goes with it, and I'd be keen to hear from others on the road.

Cheers

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#2 2005-10-25 08:34:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Shakuhachi in South Africa

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I'll be in South Africa from Nov.2-10. If you'd like to we could get together for a lesson and I can show you some basics. Same goes for anybody in SA.

Regards,

Tairaku

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer