Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-20 10:02:15

matthew

Bamboo Identification

I’m going to be headed into the lovely forests of Okayama scouting for bamboo again and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some pointers on bamboo identification.  Is there a “fool proof” way to tell madake from the other bamboo out there, and is madake really the only quality option?

I’m also curious as to how those with experience trim up those rascally roots.  If anyone would like to detail their process from the earth to the workbench, that would be great.  I’m wondering what kind of tools work best and in what stage of the drying process is best to work ‘em.

Thanks,
Matt

#2 2006-07-20 23:26:51

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Bamboo Identification

First suggestion......any bamboo wil make a flute but finding a suitable culm is not so easy, so whatever species of bamboo grove you find yourself in, look for suitable culms. round, 25-30mm outside diameter, straight, perhaps with a curve at the bottom.
The 'ideal' culm is even more difficult to find, so if you are a beginner, find something close to 'good' so you can at least get some hands-on experience.
A lot af Madake has a sulcus groove alternating between nodes, you don't want this. Madake leaves point upwards. It is a light-green coloured bamboo culm.
When you find a good culm, cut it at least one extra node beyond what you want in length. You will not easily find the node spacing suitable for hole placement.
Madake is a very hard bamboo, you will need a sharp hacksaw or pruning saw and perhaps a wide chisel and hammer, or sharp narrow spade to dig it up. The roots can later be easily trimmed with secetors.
Read "Blowing Zen" for excellent reference. You have much to learn yet.
Allow the bamboo to dry for a couple of months before proceeding.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer