Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-24 00:30:01

nomaD43

Damon in Atlanta

Hello, my name is Damon Atkinson and I am living in the north Atlanta area, in Georgia (USA). I have been living here for a little over six years. Before this I lived my whole life in the Boston area, Massachusetts.
I am currently attending The Art Institute of Atlanta, majoring in Graphic Design, working toward my BFA degree. I also work as a server in a great steakhouse in the area.
I was first drawn towards shakuhachi in the early '90's after hearing a tape titled "Garden of Serenity". The sound of the shakuhachi just completely blew me away and I just had to learn more about it. Unfortunately, with absolutely no background in music, I found it very difficult to find any information about it. I took me about six months to finally locate and purchase a CD that was put out by David Duncavage "The Empty Bell". I not only discovered a great deal of insight into what shakuhachi was, as well as being able to hear some real sui-zen pieces, but most importantly I learned that David was a teacher and he lived/taught only 20 minutes from where I was living.
I studied with David off and on over the next several years and learned a great deal about this incredible instrument and also much about myself that I would not have seen without this experience. I owe a great deal to David for his patience, his expertise, his craftsmanship (I own one of the flutes that he makes), and most importantly his friendship and guidence.
David had studied under Ronnie Seldin as well as Yoshio Kurahashi, and now, unfortunately for me, lives in Texas. I have been without a teacher for more than six years now, and I am embarassed to admit that my practice has diminished to almost none at all. I am hoping that someday I will be able to kick my self discipline back into gear and start practicing seriously once again.
My main attraction to shakuhachi is honkyoku and sui-zen, though I enjoy listening to many of the differing styles and genres that the shakuhachi is being incorporated into.
I am very happy to have found this forum, and I hope to be involved in regular discussions - and maybe more motivated to practice.
Peace,
Damon in Atlanta

#2 2006-07-24 07:33:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Damon in Atlanta

nomaD43 wrote:

I also work as a server in a great steakhouse in the area.

I have been without a teacher for more than six years now, and I am embarassed to admit that my practice has diminished to almost none at all. I am hoping that someday I will be able to kick my self discipline back into gear and start practicing seriously once again.

Hi Damon, next time I am in Atlanta, we will trade a lesson for a steak!

Regarding practice......if you have been studying with David for several years you know the notation and some of the pieces. If you just list all the pieces you know, find recordings of them, blow long tones for 15 minutes a day, and play along with recordings of 2 to 4 pieces a day, viola! you will be practicing for about 1 hour a day.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer