Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-24 23:45:25

scook

new to flute and in a wheelchair

Hey, I'm Spencer.  I have just started playing on a 1.8 shaku PVC flute I made after exhaustive research.  It’s only my second day with it, and initially all is well.  I can make sounds, and the shakuhachi tuner says their pretty accurate.  However, there is a twist.  I am in a wheelchair.  My hands are fairly weak and cannot stretch to cover all the holes at once. Needless to say, its getting complicated and I could use some suggestions as to how to ease these difficulties.
    I decided to try and play the shakuhachi after a previous long search of world music and instruments.  Everything I tried was too big, heavy, or hard to pluck, blow, ect.  I needed to find a mechanically simple and small instrument with great acoustical potential.  The shakuhachi seemed to fit the bill. Now, all I need to do is get it to work…
    As with everything in my life, I now need to innovate.  The only way I get a sound on the thing is to blow on it kind of sideways, though I seem to have fairly good control.  I can get very high notes, and a regular, lower range.  Is this a major problem?  Has anyone ever played a shakuhachi sideways before?  The other more important problem is the hole coverage issue.  It’s a regular sized flute with measured hole spacings and yet I can’t quite get it.  I was thinking of trying to rig up some kind of pad system with levers and buttons closer to my finger tips.  With practice I think I would be able to get the half and quarter coverings needed.  Thoughts?  As some have pointed out, the shakuhachi seems resistant to change so my ideas must be pretty radical.  Another thing- if I use a pad system and it works, and I push my cheapo PVC job as far as it will go, I would feel horrible doing it to a nicer flute, even a Yuu. 
    Any suggestions or comments would be a great help. I’m so glad I found this community. Thanks- Spencer

#2 2006-07-25 00:44:48

jumbuk

Re: new to flute and in a wheelchair

Congratulations on your choice of instrument.  You won't regret it.

Not sure exactly what you mean by playing "sideways".  Can you describe that in a bit more detail?

As for the finger holes, there are a few options:

- go for a shorter flute, such as a 1.6 or 1.3, so the holes are closer together.  If you want to play with other (Western) folk instruments, 1.6 is good (scale of Em pentatonic or G major).

- move the holes sideways so they better fit your fingering needs.  You could try using different fingers, much as many players do on the longer flutes (index and little fingers rather than index and ring).  Combined with ergonomic hole placement, this should do the trick.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum who I am sure will post in more detail.

PS You "asked the pro".  I am definitely not one - a beginner.  Just thought I should make that clear.

Last edited by jumbuk (2006-07-25 00:50:47)

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#3 2006-07-25 07:59:11

scook

Thanks for the tip. I assume I can rotate the holes all the way around the flute, as long as their distances on the length of the instument remain the same, right? I'll make a few 1.3 and 1.6s to try them out.  By "sideways", I mean that the shakuhachi is not vertical when played- Its at about a 45 degree angle down off of the hoizontal.

#4 2006-07-25 08:23:54

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

If you are working with PVC you can even use a connector from the mouthpiece to the flute set at an angle (like on a saxophone). That, making a shorter flute, and offsetting the holes may give you the ability to play it without having to use keys or pads. Once you have a prototype that works for you ergonomically you can send it to one of the pro makers here and they can make you one from bamboo, perhaps combined with other materials. Good luck and keep us posted.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-07-25 09:03:46

edosan
Edomologist

scook wrote:

By "sideways", I mean that the shakuhachi is not vertical when played- Its at about a 45 degree angle down off of the hoizontal.

I still don't understand how your method of playing your shakuhachi differs from the typical method; 45 degrees down from the horizontal sounds pretty 'normal' to me.

Or, do you mean that you are holding the flute angled over to the side as well as down?

Can you add a bit more to this?

The holes can be placed anywhere around the circumference of the shaft, as long as they are in the correct longitudinal location and still accessible to your fingers.

I encourage you to exhaust all the options with the 1.8 length before trying the shorter flutes; you'll be able to work with much more recorded material,  fellow players and teachers with that length.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2006-07-25 13:28:07

scook

"Or, do you mean that you are holding the flute angled over to the side as well as down?"

yep.  Thats is exactly.  Any problems with that?  My embroching(?) must be completely off.  Also edosan, I have similar feelings about moving to a shorter flute.  I'll experement with the hole placement and if that doesn't work I'll move on to pads.  The last resort will be to cut the length.  I have recently seen pictures of people playing large flutes and resting the end on the floor.  Is that correct? I've tried it on a table, so its possible for it to work for me on a smaller scale.

#7 2006-07-25 20:40:22

edosan
Edomologist

I don't see a huge problem with that setup, as long as you can do all the requisite shakuhachi moves and get a good sound; I have seen some very atypical embouchures on some very good players...

Resting the bell on a tabletop (with a carpet or some such beneath to supply some friction) could work, except then you couldn't very well angle the flute off to the side, I don't think. Perhaps then you wouldn't have to.

I might be helpful to know a bit more detail about your physical restrictions, if you're willing to go into that: hand strength, mobility, flexibility, range of motion that sort of thing.

If it's more comfortable for you, I'd be happy to give you my 2 cents off forum...just email me.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#8 2006-08-18 23:57:34

Owloon
Website

Hi Spencer,

I know that the preferable thing to do would be to get the holes in order that you can play them directly, but if you need keywork, these are a few possibilities.

Dolmetsch recorders:  http://www.dolmetsch.com/goldseriesrecorders.htm .  They just have such a stunning variety of recorders for people with disabilities that if you got serious about wanting keys, maybe they'd be worth talking too.  Custom keywork, however, is really expensive, and I don't see if they do it.  At the very least, it's lovely to look at all their recorders.

There's also Flutelab: http://www.flutelab.com/index.htm for interesting accomodations.

There's also Jubilee Instruments: http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee.htm .  His work is, to be honest, rather rough, but very affordable and he's very willing to do custom work and answer questions.  I can't vouch for his keywork in particular.  His work is really unusual and innovative for any experimental musical instrument lovers to have a peak at.

On Irish flutes, there are occasionally keys called Siccama keys, which are not as complicated as typical keys and simply offer to reduce the stretch.  You can see an example at Terry McGee's website: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/models.html .  The "keyless" siccama is the one to look at.

If you were to have a custom shakuhachi made, it's worth noting that a trick of recorder makers is to drill the holes at something of an angle to help with stretches.  I can't imagine this would be without acoustic consequences on a shakuhachi, but a possibility nonetheless, and far simpler than keywork.  Holes can also be made different sizes to put them in different places to accomodate stretch.  Not ever done on the shakuhachi as far as I know, because it will affect the tone and hole functioning, but it's a typical thing to do with flutes in general.

I know that any of these things will take you away from tradition, but it sounds to me like you just want to be able to make some good music, so whatever works.

As for playing it sideways, do you mean kind of like a ney: http://home.att.net/~maged.k.mikhail/pictures.htm   If that's the case, it's completely different.  But, I do this all the time to get a really different set of tone qualities and it's fun, but you can't play shakuhachi techniques playing that way.

Fancy fun,
Kimay.

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

#9 2006-08-19 09:15:55

edosan
Edomologist

Drilling angled holes in shakuhachi is not uncommon, especially in very long ones, and works just fine as long as it's done by an experienced hand. Perry Yung does it occasionally. There are, of course limits to how far the hole can be moved. I have a Yung 2.8 with an angled hole.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer