Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-07-29 16:08:28

jeff jones
Website

Rebirth through bamboo

I was talking with my teacher the other day, and the subject of health had come up and weather I still thought Shakuhachi had helped in my recovery. I said it had in many ways and the suggestion was made that I talk about it on the forum, I had mentioned this subject briefly in an earlier post, but maybe it’s time I elaborate a little.

About two years ago I was in a coma which lasted about one and a half to two months. While in the coma a myriad of complications arose, I had a stroke, respiratory and kidney failure, and was on a respirator for over a month. After waking up or should I say, coming back, the world as I knew it was gone. The Drs. Said it was likely I would be in a wheel chare or at best need a walker to help get around. I also could not read or remember simple things; names of things still elude me to this day, but slowly show signs of getting better. Sound and movement were incredibly confusing, if there was too much input it seems my brain would shut down and I would need to rest my mind. So I found that it was easier to focus on one simple thing rather than many things at the same time. There was about two months of physical and mental rehab in the hospital, close to eight hours a day, and by the end of that I was walking with a cane, but scared to death of stairs(eventually that to would pass).

When I got home I had wanted to start listening to and playing music and resume working on some sort of art work. I found that after 20 plus years I no longer could stand the sound of the guitar (it sounded abrasive), so making a long story a little shorter all roads led to the Shakuhachi and Honkyoku. The spare ness and the seeming lack of movement was perfect. I started off naturally with blowing Ro and fiddled around with that for awhile, here’s where the health benefits to Shakuahchi begin. Along with my daily fitness routine I incorporated deep breathing exercises while doing my squats. The oxygen it took to blow Ro strengthened my lungs and improved my thinking.

I also found that it was time to find a teacher; there was no way I was going to play these songs on my own. Thank god for the internet, I found one, only a Greyhound bus ride away. So by doing this it forced me to go back out into the world and deal with sound and movement and people (which was really not an easy task). Also with the lessons comes reading the music, that has helped immensely. I found it a little easier because the writing is more like pictures rather than words; the fun part is those pictures represent words. So that forced me to find ways to memorize the words that the pictures represented. Sorting through words in my head when talking with someone is sometimes a slow process and with my lessons, I’m forced to try and do that.

Through this flute I have met a lot of very good and interesting people. In short (long), this simple (?) peace of bamboo has brought so many positive aspects to my life by forcing me to accelerate my exercise routine, by reading, and by resuming some sort of public life and art again. Rebirth through bamboo.

Sorry if this was long winded!

Last edited by jeff jones (2006-07-29 16:11:47)

Beauty is ugly at rest

#2 2006-07-29 20:53:45

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Rebirth through bamboo

jeff jones wrote:

Sorry if this was long winded!

It was not long-winded. It was eloquent and, to me, very moving--there were so many 'lines to read between'...

Welcome again to this forum, and please continue to share your shakuhachi journey here.

eB

Hmm...I reckon sometimes satisfaction IS in the attainment...

Last edited by edosan (2006-07-29 20:56:07)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-07-29 23:14:02

Karmajampa
Website

I'm with Ed in that your description is 'no way' long winded. In fact I could hear more. Since falling for the shakuhachi I hardly pick up my other instruments.
In meditation the breath is regarded as important in loosening and binding the mind so that memory can happen. Also, smell is closely linked with memory. Your comments on 'words' and 'pictures' sounds like left and right brain differences, as with dyslexia.
I have made about sixty flutes for people, nearly all of whom use it as a tool to focus with, the simplicity of the pentatonic scale, the immediacy of the 'presence' of mind.

Satisfying to hear.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2006-07-29 23:32:08

bluespiderweb

Hi Jeff, thanks for the inspiring story.  Congratulations on your road to recovery and rediscovery.  It sounds as if you are on a good path-stay with it, and enjoy the music.  Music is an amazing gift and healer, and shakuhachi a great channel for it.

Good to have you here!

Be well,  Barry

#5 2006-07-30 00:01:58

nomaD43

WOW! Thank you Jeff for sharing your story with us. Long Winded? Not at all, if anything too short. This is a very inspirational story and speaks volumes as to the theraputic qualities of the shakuhachi. I agree with what has been stated above, I too would love to hear of your progress. I wish you all the best in your recovery and on your journey with the shakuhachi.
Thank you again,
Damon

#6 2006-08-02 20:57:44

Ambi

Me too Jeff, let us know how it goes.
One of my other loves is Tai Chi, I find blowing Shakuhachi and (trying) to do a form very similar in the stillness of concentration. If you still have problems with balance and coordination, you might like to give it a try? Just a thought.
Best wishes.
Ambi.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#7 2006-08-03 11:13:52

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Jeff,

Thank you. Your story is very moving.

If helps to remind me how the shakuhachi teaches without trying. It's humble presence invokes hope, connection and responsibilty.

Welcome back.

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/poncedrawing.JPG
Bamboo Rebirth

#8 2006-08-08 21:22:03

jeff jones
Website

Hi Everyone I just wanted to say thanks for your kind replys.

Nice pickture Ken,is that oil?

Beauty is ugly at rest

Board footer