Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-03 13:45:27

scook

How do you tune?

Everybody here talks about tuning, hole placement, hole size ect.  What I don't understand is how you determine what is in tune and what is not.  Do you use fingering charts and the computer tuning program? Tuners for other istruments? Are you all music masters already who can tune by ear?  Also, when making a flute, everyone talks about moving the holes slightly off the formulas.  How do you determine which way to go?  I don't have a tained ear yet, so do you drill, test blow, and move the next hole up or down depending on the note?  I'm just confused with the process of creating a well tuned flute.  As it stands, I just follow the formulas not knowing if the sound I produce is good or bad.  Any input would help- Thanks

#2 2006-08-03 14:12:45

evan kubota

Re: How do you tune?

Electronic tuner wink The intended instrument doesn't matter as long as it has a mic or an input to use a mic.

In general, if the note is flat, you can raise the pitch either by enlarging the hole or sliding it towards the top end (utaguchi end). This usually entails enlarging it somewhat. Lowering the pitch is much harder, which is why you generally want to be slightly under pitch right after drilling.

#3 2006-08-03 14:40:17

gmiller

Re: How do you tune?

Hey Scook..... good questions. Recommended readings: The Japanese Shakuhachi Flute by Monty Levenson and FluteCraft: an artisans guide to Bamboo Flutemaking by Mark Sheppard. Study these and answer may perplexing questions....

Available from www.shakuhachi.com

Good Luck

George

Board footer