Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-07 10:12:57

shaman141
Website

Komuso tattoo

I was wondering if anyone has a Komuso tattoo or a tattoo relating to the shakuhachi? If you do please post a pic if you can.

Thanks,

Sean.

Last edited by shaman141 (2006-08-07 10:13:19)

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#2 2006-08-07 10:48:44

Harry
Website

Re: Komuso tattoo

Sean,

Unfortunately the last images of my shakuhachi tattoo posted to a public forum resulted in a court case.

Suffice to say that I am adorned with a wonderful representation of a 1.8 that, with a little persuasion, can evolve into a 2.6.

Best wishes,

Harry.

Last edited by Harry (2006-08-07 10:49:56)

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#3 2006-08-07 11:07:12

shaman141
Website

Hi Harry,

Thats crazy! What could possibly be the reason for a court case being the result of a shakuhachi tattoo? If you prefer, why don't you send the images to me via my e-mail?

shaman141@hotmail.com

All The Best,

Sean.

Last edited by shaman141 (2006-08-07 11:07:40)

#4 2006-08-07 19:19:58

edosan
Edomologist

shaman141 wrote:

What could possibly be the reason for a court case being the result of a shakuhachi tattoo?

A re-reading of Harry's post, followed by a moment's thought, should answer that question for you..

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2006-08-07 21:58:06

shaman141
Website

ahhhh. Now I see what you mean......I cant believe I didnt catch that the first time. Nevermind the picture Id rather not be exposed to a picture of a shakuhachi in that way.Note: To harry, if you were kidding, it was actually a serious question and I dont appreciate the humour all that much.To Edosan: good call and thanks for the heads up.

-Sean.

#6 2006-08-08 02:17:51

evan kubota

No one asked my opinion, and that's all this is, but I think given the connotations of tattoos in Japanese culture it would be inappropriate to get any sort of tattoo relating to shakuhachi, komuso, or anything of that sort.

(irezumi is traditionally associated with yakuza, despite some debate over its origins)

#7 2006-08-08 07:57:02

Harry
Website

Sorry Sean,

Couldn't resist, and in this world of the hopelessly relative, I appreciate your seriousness but do not condone it in any way ;-))

I will be beating myself with a big Zen stick untill the offending article is defaced, or until my senselessness of humour improves.

All the best,

Harry.

#8 2006-08-08 08:10:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

evan kubota wrote:

No one asked my opinion, and that's all this is, but I think given the connotations of tattoos in Japanese culture it would be inappropriate to get any sort of tattoo relating to shakuhachi, komuso, or anything of that sort.

(irezumi is traditionally associated with yakuza, despite some debate over its origins)

Inappropriate? That's a good reason TO get a komuso tattoo. Although mine got me in trouble in Japan when I hopped into a public swimming pool and a bunch of women started screaming. I suppose they thought I was a yakuza.

My mother in law (from Sri Lanka) said, "I like the picture but I do not like the canvas. Back home only drug addicts and thugs have tattoos." So it's a general Asian problem.

I will post pics of my inappropriate tattoo when I find my digital camera.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2006-08-08 10:15:19

shaman141
Website

Thanks Tairaku,

I look forward to seeing the pics. As for it being innapropriate, I second that as a good reason to get one. Tattoos have become a way of connecting with one another in my family, and I do not see anything wrong or understand the negative stigma attached to them. This is within reason of course: Having obscene or offensive tattoos on purpose is another thing. To me it is just another art form with limitless potential that can allow us to connect with ourselves and others.

-Sean.

#10 2006-08-08 12:38:39

dstone
Website

Slightly tongue-in-cheek...  (but only slightly)

If you want a subtle/abstract tatoo (that will probably only serve to confuse those who don't play)... 
you could tatoo 4 holes down your chest and one on your back, sort of like this shirt.
After all, you are the flute.

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/1/56510141_F_tn.jpg

Now wouldn't it be wild if your child was born with birthmarks arranged just so?  yikes

-Darren.

[Full disclosure: I sell those shirts and make a buck or two each.]

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#11 2006-08-08 13:02:06

evan kubota

Well, considering that the shakuhachi is a Japanese instrument and komuso are Japanese, I thought a little decorum regarding the status of the tattoo within Japanese culture would be appropriate. Apparently not. Obviously their ideas about what tattooing means aren't necessarily 'correct' any more than the Western concept is. You're free to do whatever you want. Still, it's kind of interesting that there is a lot of respect here for learning shakuhachi the 'right' way - finding a teacher if possible, learning traditional repertoire, etc. - yet certain things about Japanese culture that may conflict with personal desires are not taken with the same degree of reverence.

edit - Darren, those shirts are cool, but why is the third hole offset? So people don't mistake them for buttons?

Last edited by evan kubota (2006-08-08 13:03:22)

#12 2006-08-08 13:25:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

evan kubota wrote:

Well, considering that the shakuhachi is a Japanese instrument and komuso are Japanese, I thought a little decorum regarding the status of the tattoo within Japanese culture would be appropriate. Apparently not. Obviously their ideas about what tattooing means aren't necessarily 'correct' any more than the Western concept is. You're free to do whatever you want. Still, it's kind of interesting that there is a lot of respect here for learning shakuhachi the 'right' way - finding a teacher if possible, learning traditional repertoire, etc. - yet certain things about Japanese culture that may conflict with personal desires are not taken with the same degree of reverence.

I asked Kurahashi Sensei his opinion before I got the tattoo and he said it's OK for gaijin to have them.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#13 2006-08-08 14:01:49

rpowers

dstone wrote:

Slightly tongue-in-cheek...  (but only slightly)

If you want a subtle/abstract tatoo (that will probably only serve to confuse those who don't play)... 
you could tatoo 4 holes down your chest and one on your back, sort of like this shirt.
After all, you are the flute.

A week or so ago, I was playing while wearing this shirt, and happened to catch myself in a mirror. I noticed that the hole spacing was the same as my 1.8, and when I lined them up with the flute, the utaguchi was in playing position and the bottom of the flute reached my navel.

The complete version of the tattoo might include a Kinko inlay on the lower lip, and a ring of root stubs around the belly button.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#14 2006-08-08 19:18:46

evan kubota

"I asked Kurahashi Sensei his opinion before I got the tattoo and he said it's OK for gaijin to have them."

That's cool. I hadn't considered that aspect - someone outside of Japan or non-Japanese probably doesn't have the same 'weight of expectations.'

#15 2006-08-08 22:01:04

dstone
Website

rpowers wrote:

A week or so ago, I was playing while wearing this shirt, and happened to catch myself in a mirror. I noticed that the hole spacing was the same as my 1.8, and when I lined them up with the flute, the utaguchi was in playing position and the bottom of the flute reached my navel.

Sure, feel free to use the shirt as a hole-drilling template. The model was my hocchiku from the hand of Kodama, with the third hole offset for comfort.

rpowers wrote:

The complete version of the tattoo might include a Kinko inlay on the lower lip, and a ring of root stubs around the belly button.

Freaky, but good.  Don't take the analogy too far though...  Most will prefer their torso jinashi nobekan.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#16 2006-08-09 11:06:29

shaman141
Website

Evan,

I did not set out to make you feel that what you were saying was not valued. The goal of posting this question was to explore people's thoughts on getting a Komuso tattoo, whether it is viewed as appropriate in japanese culture and if any shakuhachi players/teachers on the forum actually had one.

Peace,

-Sean.

#17 2006-08-09 11:54:15

rpowers

dstone wrote:

rpowers wrote:

Freaky, but good.  Don't take the analogy too far though...  Most will prefer their torso jinashi nobekan.

-Darren.

OK, then we'll try not to think about the 2.4 version.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#18 2006-08-21 15:45:42

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Tairaku is visiting today. We thought we'd snap a tattoo shot.

-Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/tattoo.jpg

#19 2006-08-21 16:16:14

Harry
Website

That's your arm, right?

Best,

H.

#20 2006-08-22 11:03:15

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Harry wrote:

That's your arm, right?

Yes, I saw it. It is indeed Taikaku's arm.

Notice the top hand's pinky on the Chi hole, proof that the alternate fingering is acceptable.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#21 2006-08-22 16:52:00

nyokai
shihan
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

proof that the alternate fingering is acceptable.

Or that artists don't always fact check.

#22 2006-08-23 18:34:19

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

He may have been looking in a mirror.

#23 2006-08-23 20:37:17

bluespiderweb

Harry wrote:

Sean,

Unfortunately the last images of my shakuhachi tattoo posted to a public forum resulted in a court case.

Suffice to say that I am adorned with a wonderful representation of a 1.8 that, with a little persuasion, can evolve into a 2.6.

Best wishes,

Harry.

Yes, Harry's a kidder, I know him from his posts on the Irish flute forum, though Harry doesn't know me!

Thanks for the laugh, Harry!  No offense to the serious here, but humor is where you find it.

Last edited by bluespiderweb (2006-08-23 20:49:40)

Be well,  Barry

Board footer