Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2006-08-09 17:57:12

baian

Re: TSU KAZASHI/TSU CHU MERI

re : hanon it's a tozan term whose usage is (according to koga) when applied to tsu :

kinko : tsu, tsu no chumeri, tsu no meri

tozan: tsu, tsu no meri, tsu no hanon

#27 2006-08-09 19:39:17

jumbuk

nyokai wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I don't see the advantage of lowering the head slightly and shading as someone suggested because then you add another variable.

Yes, I agree. Finding the exact balance between a little bit of head and a little bit of finger on a tsu chu meri goes into the life's too short category for me. I tell students they can use either just finger or just head -- one or the other might sound better to them.

That "someone" was me.  This has been an interesting discussion.  I'll take it up with Andrew (McGregor) next lesson, to see what he thinks.

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#28 2006-08-09 20:02:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

jumbuk wrote:

[
That "someone" was me.  This has been an interesting discussion.  I'll take it up with Andrew (McGregor) next lesson, to see what he thinks.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. At least everyone seems to agree that tsu chu meri is E Western pitch on a 1.8.

Now if we want to open Pandora's box we can talk about the pitch of tsu no meri. I usually play it a quarter tone or so above D, but I know a lot of people who play Eb.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#29 2006-08-09 21:16:55

jumbuk

Tairaku wrote:

Now if we want to open Pandora's box we can talk about the pitch of tsu no meri. I usually play it a quarter tone or so above D, but I know a lot of people who play Eb.

The whole question of tuning is something I am trying to form a view on right now.  I have tried to deliberately NOT think of the notes in terms of the Western counterparts (or the closest equivalents thereto).  As someone said earlier, the different fingerings are considered as entirely different notes even if the pitches are approximately similar.

This was brought home to me recently when I met a flute teacher (Western classical) who was teaching herself shakuhachi.  We tried to play a couple of tunes together.  When it got to Sakura, I bowed out because I have not yet mastered Tsu no meri.  Her comment was "Oh, that is just Eb - there is an easier fingering for that" and proceeded to show me a cross-fingered version.  I had to explain to her that the character of the meri note is an essential part of the tune - it is not just a matter of getting the pitch right.

Also, I note that Ri on both my shakuhachi is slightly sharp.  Andrew Mcgregor confirmed that he alters the holes on his instruments to bring Ri down to Western concert pitch.

I am not sure on this question at all.  My inclination is to try and learn the Japanese tradition - and if that involves a Ri that is different to C in Western notation, or tsu no meri that is lower than Eb, so be it.  There is nothing sacrosanct about the Western scale anyway.  My electronic tuner is tuned to an equal-temperament scale, which is an artificial construct designed to enable modulation freely among 12 diatonic Western scales - an awesome achievement in itself, but not the only way to do things.  If I was to try to alter the shakuhachi scale by "lipping down" or up, I would probably go for a Just or Natural intonation, but frankly I will be happy just to get a good tone and be able to play the notes so they sound reasonably in tune.

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#30 2006-08-09 21:33:47

edosan
Edomologist

jumbuk wrote:

...frankly I will be happy just to get a good tone and be able to play the notes so they sound reasonably in tune.

No small feat, in itself...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#31 2006-08-10 02:20:10

dstone
Website

Tairaku wrote:

edosan wrote:

Kurahashi-sensei calls the un-shaded Tsu meri the 'no-finger meri', and he does use it in one Jin Nyodo piece he showed me; forget which one. Perhaps Ajikan.

When we do "Mukaiji" we do the whole piece without shading. It's a nice approach.

This was also the instruction given for Banji (from Koshu-Myoanji).

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#32 2006-08-10 03:52:46

evan kubota

If I was to try to alter the shakuhachi scale by "lipping down" or up, I would probably go for a Just or Natural intonation

Unless you have perfect (relative) pitch, it would be very difficult to tell the difference over the shakuhachi's limited range of octaves, and especially considering that one can generally only play single tones - not to mention the difficulty of such accurate intonation work!

#33 2009-04-15 13:12:58

radi0gnome
Website

Despite some wonderful answers that went beyond the original poster's question, I'm thinking that either the question that started the thread hasn't been answered fully or I have a new question. 

Quoting the original poster:

PSTL wrote:

I've been practicing without an instructor for two years. There are none here in NE Florida. My primary focus has been on breath control. I can hold notes very well for extended lengths and make numerous transitions quite well. My notes are pretty clean. I practice using an autotuner.

Curiously, this is exactly where I am at this point in time, except I'm in upstate NY and not FL.

PSTL wrote:

My problem is with "E" or  TSU KAZASHI/TSU CHU MERI. Is there a secret to hitting this note as well as others? I can't seem to transition smoothly to this note. It comes out flat, sharp, or sometimes not at all. Holes 2,3,4,5 are closed, and hole 1 half over (at least this is how I understand it).

To me there are a few parts to this question. One is how to do Tsu Chu Meri, that's what brought me to this thread, I was wondering if it was supposed to have a head tilt. That's pretty much been answered in detail.

Another part of the question is the "how to transition smoothly" part. On one hand you could say that's been answered because there were details on how to get your fingers in the right places more easily, but since PSTL goes on to say "It comes out flat, sharp,..." it brings to my mind a dilemma that I have.

When playing by ear a lot of melodies with these partially-holed notes seem OK to me until I decide to bring out the tuner (which is almost always right now). Then it becomes obvious that when I land on the note it's often sharp or flat. If the note is long enough in duration I have time to bring the note into pitch either by adjusting head tilt, hole-coverage or breath. But on shorter duration notes there is not enough time to adjust.

I've been slowing down all the exercises (I'm working from Tokuyama Takashi's book) in an effort to clean this up, which I'm pretty sure is a good thing, but I'm wondering how much tolerance others give to being slightly sharp or flat. The nature of these head-tilt and/or partially-holed notes is that they are going to be difficult to land exactly in tune. I realize that in a musical context notes that start a little off and are brought into pitch can sound good, but as exercises and strict control of the instrument go, how much slack do shakuhachi players normally allow?

Last edited by radi0gnome (2009-04-15 13:25:48)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#34 2009-04-15 19:38:48

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

HOW TO PLAY TSU CHU MERI (if you are shading the #1 hole):

If you are shading the #1 hole for Tsu chu meri, put the finger on the bamboo beside the hole with the finger sticking out above the hole. The finger (ring finger) will NOT be bent. Since the finger is straight, it takes out the possibility of it being bent at a different angle each time. Straight finger means "consistency" in the height the finger will be above the hole each time.  Same for Ri chu meri.
    You do not have to nod the head down in the meri position if you do not want to. However, to make this decision,  you have to determine what kind of sound and volume you want. Ask yourself what kind of song are you playing? If it's a modern piece that's very fast, you may chose to shade in this manner without putting the chin down. Tsu chu meri is often played next to RO, so it's easy to make the transition from Tsu chu meri to RO by simply bending the knuckle to close the #1 hole. From RO to Chu meri, straighten it again and you have chu meri.  As has been spoken already, the Meian way of not using the finger is preferable for the sound made in order to play songs in that sects manner. Mukaiiji is a relatively slower moving piece and so you should have time to get the pitch down easily without using the finger for shading and just noding the head down.

There is a way to do these consistently whether you shade the hole or just use the head. It's just doing the same thing each time. If you do the same thing each time, i.e., have the same head angle, same direction of the breath, same finger position, sit up the same way, same air speed, etc.,  you'll get the same results. If you like the results just keep doing it. If you don't, change something. This is just PRACTICE! Work it out. It'll happen.

As far as playing Sakura goes, since the song was not written for shakuhachi, it is more important to play the correct pitch than worry about the "type" of sound. In other words, one should should be very concerned firstly about playing tsu meri at E flat. This is simply adapting the shakuhachi to the song since it's too late to adapt the composition to shakuhachi.  Just as Jingles Bells isn't sung with the fluctuating volumes of meris and karis, neither was Sakura written to be sung in a similar manner. If it were, it would sound different every time you changed the length of the shakuhachi you were playing. The common denominator in trying to do your best to play it the way it was written to be sung would be to at least have the correct pitches it was written for.  For songs written for shakuhachi it 's important that the composer knows the nature of the instrument, i.e. the differences of meri, dai meri and kari, and what other unique sounds the shakuhachi can make and not compose simply thinking of lining up pitches on paper.

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-04-15 19:46:14)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#35 2009-04-16 09:54:46

radi0gnome
Website

chikuzen wrote:

There is a way to do these consistently whether you shade the hole or just use the head. It's just doing the same thing each time. If you do the same thing each time, i.e., have the same head angle, same direction of the breath, same finger position, sit up the same way, same air speed, etc.,  you'll get the same results. If you like the results just keep doing it. If you don't, change something. This is just PRACTICE! Work it out. It'll happen.

Thanks for the detailed answer, Chikuzen. That's 5 different variables you listed and then you added an "etc"! That's a lot of things to possibly go wrong and mess up the pitch, but I guess that's why they call good shakuhachi playing "good" shakuhachi playing.

I'm kind of surprised that I haven't seen this topic discussed in the forum more often. But, I guess it's understandable because the way I stumbled upon it was that I got a flute with a sharp Chi, or in actuality a slightly flat Ro that progressively gets sharper until you get to the Chi that's sharp. I thought it would be a good idea to break out the tuner and get the beginning exercises in the Takashi book, the ones without meri's or partial-covered holes, in tune. All went well until I got to the kazashi and meri section where I realized there was no way I could have ever been playing those notes in tune with any flute. If I got them to land even within 20 cents of the note I considered that pretty good. Some might consider that close enough, and I guess it kind of is because I can't really see a beginner getting hung up on it, but it sounds a whole lot better when those notes are landed right on.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#36 2009-04-16 10:27:37

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I'm sure you'll get it if you want to.

BTW, I don't know if it was mentioned but just to make sure, "Kazashi" comes from the verb "Kazasu" whiuch menas to hold something over something,i.e. "shade" something. Tsu Kazashi is Tsu Chu meri.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#37 2009-04-16 22:05:37

Zakarius

What's the kanji and/or katakana for 'kazashi'? (For making notes on scores...)

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#38 2009-04-16 22:57:39

edosan
Edomologist

What's the kanji and/or katakana for 'kazashi'? (For making notes on scores...)

chikuzen wrote:

"Kazashi" comes from the verb "Kazasu" which means to hold something over something,i.e. "shade" something. Tsu Kazashi is Tsu Chu meri.

Last edited by edosan (2009-04-16 22:58:04)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#39 2009-04-17 07:21:24

No-sword
Website

But that ain't kanji or katakana...

The kanji (+ okurigana) for kazashi would be 翳し or 翳シ, but in my limited experience with shakuhachi scores it's more commonly written all in katakana: カザシ.

Matt / no-sword.jp

#40 2009-04-17 09:08:31

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

No-sword shows the right character and is correct in that it's always written with katakana on shaku scores. I'm not sure why but it's also written in katakana often in everyday Japanese text. A question for a language teacher.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#41 2009-04-17 09:45:54

edosan
Edomologist

No-sword wrote:

But that ain't kanji or katakana...

The kanji (+ okurigana) for kazashi would be 翳し or 翳シ, but in my limited experience with shakuhachi scores it's more commonly written all in katakana: カザシ.

D'OH!! I see what he was asking now. My bad, sorry.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#42 2009-04-17 09:51:53

lowonthetotem
Website

Ahhh! Ed!  I just noticed the lady bugs.  Almost as classy as my avatar.

Etenraku is a good piece to practice Tsu Chu Meri, at least the first and maybe the second sections.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#43 2009-04-17 11:46:26

Elliot K
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:
Etenraku is a good piece to practice Tsu Chu Meri, at least the first and maybe the second sections.

...as is the (relatively) easy sankyoku piece Kongoseki. Very beautiful tune, too.

#44 2009-04-17 12:57:03

Zakarius

No-sword wrote:

...but in my limited experience with shakuhachi scores it's more commonly written all in katakana: カザシ.

Thanks big_smile

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

Board footer