World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-08 13:32:34

Harry
Website

Shaku Section Shape.

Dear Makers,

I've noticed several different shapes of cane used in different ways to make shakuhachi. One that my teacher has, which is very ergonomically pleasing, is very eliptical in shape: that is, the top section view is quite the elipse, the holes are drilled on the 'flat' of the elipse and the blowing edge is cut from the 'flat'.

The one I'm presently playing is rounder than that previously mentioned but is still slightly eliptical and has been worked the other way: the holes and blowing edge are cut on the smaller, tighter curve of the elipse.

Are such differences down to preference, individual qualities of different bits of cane, maker's style, a butterfly flapping it's wings in Brazil... or all of the above???

Best wishes,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#2 2006-08-08 19:21:25

evan kubota

Re: Shaku Section Shape.

The shakuhachi (almost?) always needs to curve away from the player at the bottom. This largely dictates the position of a certain piece of bamboo. You can bend it somewhat, but I don't think makers usually try to reverse the natural curve.

When I am working with pieces that have some leeway in terms of position, I prefer for the holes to be on the broader side, not at a 'ridge.'

#3 2006-08-08 19:39:49

Harry
Website

Evan et al,

Is there a noticably different effect (or effects) between flutes with the blowing edge being shorter and more curved (placed on top the 'ridge'), and flutes with a blowing edge longer and less curved (on the long side of an elipse)?

Or maybe its all the same once you're used to finding the required foci of the mouth?

Regards,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#4 2006-08-08 21:49:58

dstone
Website

Harry wrote:

The one I'm presently playing is rounder than that previously mentioned but is still slightly eliptical and has been worked the other way: the holes and blowing edge are cut on the smaller, tighter curve of the elipse.

Are such differences down to preference, individual qualities of different bits of cane, maker's style, a butterfly flapping it's wings in Brazil... or all of the above???

Hi Harry.  I recently made a flute as you describe (with the holes on the narrow of the ellipse).  I'm not an experienced maker by any stretch, but here's a data point for what it's worth...

I had a nice 2.65 root end piece I harvested in Japan.  Going with its natural curve would require I put the holes on the narrow edge of the ellipse. I really wanted to straighten the piece so I could hold it the other way as I thought I would prefer it that way.  (I have large hands and think about ergonomics a lot.)  But the root curve was significant enough and quite thick-walled.  I'm not bamboo-rich and didn't want to risk cracking it by bending it too much.  Alcvin Ramos and some more experienced students suggested I should just go with the bamboo flow.  It would have taken bends at several nodes anyways.  So I embraced it, cut it, drilled it, and ended up with a nice 2.65 jinashi on the narrow edge.

It's not well tuned yet but I enjoy playing it very much.  There might be acoustic implications to this bore profile as it relates to tuning or at the utaguchi, etc.  An experienced maker could probably tell you more.  Though I suspect the tonal differences/difficulties in a piece like this don't amount to much more than the usual differences between any other two culms.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2006-08-08 22:23:05

edosan
Edomologist

From what I gather from Monty Levenson and a couple of other sources about the orientation of ovalized culms, it is the responsiveness of the tone holes that is affected most. In the vertical-axis orientation, the hole-chimneys tend to be longer than in the horizontal-axis orientation, and this affects the impedance (that's what Monty calls it) and, to varying degrees, the responsiveness of the flute. Some makers will not make flutes with an oval cross section in the vertical-axis orientation. I think more undercutting is required to get things 'right'.

I like the feel of the horizontal orientation.

Last edited by edosan (2006-08-08 22:23:39)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2006-08-08 23:29:22

evan kubota

As far as the utaguchi, a wider utaguchi generally doesn't require as focused of a breath. There are always exceptions. The depth is also a large factor. I doubt anyone could hear the difference in a blind test between a very round piece of bamboo and a highly elliptical one. I do grant that a round piece feels nicer in a sense. My Japanese 1.8 is very round.

#7 2006-08-09 03:55:36

John Roff

I heard that some of Watazumi's famous buzz sounds are caused by using oval cross-section flutes.

I have made a couple of flutes using oval cross section bamboo, and find the mouthpiece very comfortable. The tone of these flutes has also been good. I haven't been able to get the Watazumi buzz though, but I do get other interesting sounds.

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

Board footer