You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-08-09 16:16:04

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Shakuhachi Roots Pilgrimage #3!!!

Dear Shakuhachi Forum,

I'm excited to be giving you the first pre-Shakuhachi Roots Pilgrimage update of 2006. For information: www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/rootstrip.htm.

The maximum # of participants for this trip is 8 so please let me know if you would like to come as soon as possible to insure a spot; also to inform those in Japan the exact # of people in our group.

The basic outline of the trip is as follows:

Shakuhachi Roots Pilgrimage 2006 (Nov. 1-26, 2006)

The plan is to arrive in Fukuoka (Southern Japan) on November 1 and spending the first week in southern Japan where we will harvest bamboo in Kumamoto with Nishimura Koryu (Kokuu's son); visit Musashi Miyamoto's cave, experience the onsens (hotsprings), visit the newest Komuso temple in Kumamoto, and meditate at the Komuso Temple, Saiko-ji (Hakata Iccho-ken). Then we will also participate in our obligatory visit to the Tsubaki Shinto Shrine in Mie-prefecture to offer shakuhachi to the gods of music and entertainment and do waterfall purification as well as visit shakuhachi maker and kyuudo master, Taro Miura. Then we'll visit Koya-san, center of esoteric buddhism, then head up to Kyoto to spend several days there; we will have a concert with the great shakuhachi maker, Yamaguchi Shugetsu and his wife, koto master, Tomoko in Nara. Then do a three-day sesshin at Eiheiji (Eiheiji will be confimed on October 10.)  We will also participate in a secret shakuhachi ceremony with shakuhachi master, Yoshio Kurahashi at the Temple of Ikkyu Sojun, the famous zen monk and haiku poet, on Nov. 21 (this has been confirmed). Then end our trip with harvesting bamboo in the mountains of Nagano, as well as visiting the Komuso temple, Kokutai-ji, also in Nagano. The official end of the the tour is Nov. 26. We will be leaving back home from Tokyo, Narita airport. It's going to be a whirlwind trip full of wonderful experiences!!!

I will be staying in Tokyo an extra week and then attending the exciting Chichibu Night Festival on Dec. 3. You're all welcome to join me if you like. There'll be opportunity to take lesson with Kaoru Kakazakai Sensei at  his house in Chichibu.

This trip is physically demanding, so please make sure to be in reasonably good shape, and try to pack is lightly as possible.

As soon as I get confirmation from all the participants I will give you the price for each person.

Looking forward to another profoundly beautiful journey,

Sincerely,

Alcvin

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC/
Bamboo-In Shakuhachi Retreat Centre
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@dccnet.com
WEB: http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm

I live a shakuhachi life.

#2 2006-08-09 16:42:14

evan kubota

Re: Shakuhachi Roots Pilgrimage #3!!!

I wish this was a couple weeks later, since I'll be in Japan mid-December anyway. I've been to Eiheiji several times and have their stamp in a book somewhere... are there shakuhachi-related activities there frequently?

#3 2006-08-22 15:19:53

samuhachi
Website

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this event. I will however be in Fukuoka & Kumamoto in September / October. Are there any events or music shops that you would recommend visiting. I would like to spend some of my time in Japan focusing on Shakuhachi related research.

Also, next November I will be living in Japan, so I might be able to participate if you hold a 2007 trip.

Thank you,

Sam

#4 2006-08-23 13:45:35

dstone
Website

While I won't be taking the pilgrimage this year (but hope to next year, again!) let me offer a testimonial...

It was an absolutely fantastic journey, passionately planned and lead by Alcvin.  If you can go, GO.  smile

-Darren.

(photos of last year's trip are on my website)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2006-08-26 18:44:02

Ryuzen
Website

evan kubota wrote:

I wish this was a couple weeks later, since I'll be in Japan mid-December anyway. I've been to Eiheiji several times and have their stamp in a book somewhere... are there shakuhachi-related activities there frequently?

Hello Evan,

Eiheiji is not a komuso temple. It is one of the head temples of the Soto Zen sect of Buddhism. Therefore, shakuhachi events are not a regular thing there. We will be going there since many of the particiapants are interested in zen in general.

Hope to meet you sometime.

Best,

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com

#6 2006-08-26 18:49:42

Ryuzen
Website

samuhachi wrote:

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this event. I will however be in Fukuoka & Kumamoto in September / October. Are there any events or music shops that you would recommend visiting. I would like to spend some of my time in Japan focusing on Shakuhachi related research.

Also, next November I will be living in Japan, so I might be able to participate if you hold a 2007 trip.

Thank you,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I will try to find out if there are any shakuhachi events going on in the Kyuushuu area for you in Sept./October. I don't know any music shops there, unfortunately. We'll be going again to Japan in 2007. We already have people signed up! I'll keep you updated on it.

Best,

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com

#7 2006-08-27 17:17:49

samuhachi
Website

Takegawa wrote:

I will try to find out if there are any shakuhachi events going on in the Kyuushuu area for you in Sept./October. I don't know any music shops there, unfortunately. We'll be going again to Japan in 2007. We already have people signed up! I'll keep you updated on it.

Thanks Alvin,

I will have my significant other look into the shops as well. She just moved to Kumamoto.

Sam

#8 2006-12-07 23:41:23

Ryuzen
Website

Hi Sam,

While I was in Kumamoto this past November, we met the leading maker of shakuhachi in that area who also has a nice shop. The family of makers is named, Tsurugi. The elder maker is Tsurugi Kodo who is a famous maker who made flutes for Jin Nyodo while he was still alive. And his son, Kyomudo has inherited his father's making skills and is also a fine player and teacher of the Kawase Junsuke lineage of Kinko shakuhachi. You can get in touch with them through Jeff Cairns who is a Canadian who's been living and studying shakuhachi in Kumamoto for the last 20 years. His email address is: shaku8@windwheel.com. Please give him my regards if you contact  him. He's really kind and helpful.

All the best,

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com

Board footer