Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-09-01 06:54:07

Loz

Right hand thumb issues.

Hi there

I've been practising shakhachi for several months now and I am very aware of the stress placed upon my right hand thumb.  I am playing a 2.4 and the most effective way I have found to relieve this tension is to play sat in a western chair resting the shakuhachi on my knee and to not use the right thumb at all - to let go and not touch the instrument with my right thumb at all in fact. 

I recently acquired a 1.8 but have found that, as it is not possible to rest the shorter instrument in the same way, I have difficulty playing comfortably.

I assume that this is a common issue and was hoping that maybe some of you had some advice/solutions.

All the best

Matt

#2 2006-09-01 07:06:56

KenC

Re: Right hand thumb issues.

Matt,

As a beginner of only 6-7 months myself i might suggest that you make sure you are not gripping the flute too tightly.  My teacher pointed it out to me soon after we began.  I still have to watch myself especially when working on songs that are for the most part Kan register where i tend to tighten my grip.

I've never played a 2.4 bit in addition it could just be the weight of the flute.  Perhaps time will build strength in the area needed.

Ken

#3 2006-09-01 07:35:09

bluespiderweb

Re: Right hand thumb issues.

Hi Matt,

When I was playing a lot, I had the same problem, and found this helped:

http://www.harrietcarter.com/Detail.cfm … amp;sr=108

It's a slip on gel cover made for a big toe (order the large), but works well on a thumb!  And, yes, a less forceful grip helps too, but this will save your thumb in the meantime.

Be well,  Barry

Board footer