Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-09-07 23:30:19

Koushi

Self-intro from San Diego deshi

I studied shakuhachi off and on for six years in Japan (Tozan-ryu) and was very fortunate that my main sensei, who was a third-generation shakuhachi player, spoke excellent English and was also into Western music (he also own a Rickenbacker guitar). I have somewhat migrated towards wind synths (proud owner of a Yamaha WX5), although I occasionally pull out my rokusun shakuhachi just to see how bad I have gotten. 

My "deshi" name was "Koushi" (that should be a long "o" in "kou," which is an ancient harp, and not "ko-ushi", or calf ...)

Anyway, I am trying to convert some of the pieces I enjoyed playing into Western notation, since I am not clever enough to transpose in my head. If anyone is working on similar projects, I would love to hear from you.

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

#2 2006-09-08 02:17:18

Yu-Jin

Re: Self-intro from San Diego deshi

Howdy!
There are several of us in San Diego, and one man is an expert in Tozan-ryu as well as Western music (a busy one though). However, we do the opposite: we play some western pieces on shakuhachi as a quartet (sometimes trio or duo).

I also play Yamaha DGX-202 a bit to develope my improvisation skills. If the idea of putting 2 instruments together sounds realistic to you, we may try it some time.

Eugene

Board footer