Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-02 16:54:35

Andre

Kari enough?

Hi folks its me again,

today I received my shakuhachi yuu. The first thing I did was playing the first measures from "Morgenstimmung", Peer Gynt. This is an easy pentatonic melody, just to check if the flute is in tune with itsself. It was in tune. Then I gave a Ro Tsu Re Chi Ri into the tuner syaku8. But what was that? All notes were 40ct flat. That made me laughing, while thinking about my efforts on tuning my bamboo shaku, where Ro and Tsu were 40ct´s too flat. No, they arent. I´m just too stupid to blow. Obviously I meri´d all the time, where I thought it was the normal position. Its really bad if one doesn´t have a teacher.
The good thing is, that my bamboo shakuhachi is less out of tune than I thought. Thanks god and mujitsu that I did not scratch the bore yet!! Thanks Tairaku for advertising the yuu to me!
Now I have to practise playing kari enough.

Cheers

Andre

#2 2005-11-03 01:38:32

John Roff

Re: Kari enough?

Hi Andre

I have also just got a Yuu, and find it quite a challenge to play compared to my own bamboo flutes. I haven't got as far as shaping the bore, I just remove as much of the node walls as possible and then make the holes and get them in tune. It makes for unique-sounding instruments, but then when I use the Yuu I am reminded of the need for focused learning. I also don't have a teacher, but will hopefully get some lessons soon. I wish you well with your flute-making endeavours. How about some pics and sound clips of your instruments some time?

Cheers

John

Last edited by John Roff (2005-11-03 03:56:46)

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#3 2005-11-03 04:04:05

Andre

John Roff wrote:

Hi Andre

I have also just got a Yuu, and find it quite a challenge to play compared to my own bamboo flutes.
John

Hi John,

I realized that the yuu is quite easy to play but my bamboo flute can play the very silent tones easier. But this might be due to beeing used to the bamboo, whereas the yuu is new for me.
For not to make my wife angry, I played as silent as possible into the tuner. As a result of this I automatically went to meri position ´cause otherwise I would not have been able to make a sound. That made me thinking the yuu is also flat and finally resulted in the posting yesterday. I want to correct this now. The yuu is in perfect pitch. If I play my bamboo flute with the same pressure, it is flatter. Ok, I not too stupid to play and I need to continue smearing ji inside the bore. But this is another topic.

John Roff wrote:

How about some pics and sound clips of your instruments some time?
John

yes, Im working on a web page. I will paste a link if it is on a level, where I dont need to be ashamed when publishing it....

Cheers

Andre

#4 2006-11-21 17:27:31

vol

hi      -      i have questions  how is the best way to record a shakuhachi.i have a large diaphragma condenser microphon an tube preamplifier and an pc.the dynamik range is so high - that is the problem fore me.what is the best position from the microphon-in put out put level.use a compresser.---thank you fore  together -- think about this       vol

Board footer