Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-09-28 10:11:53

Kamesan

greetings from New Jersey!

I've been playing the shakuhachi for some time now, as well as the Irish flute, tin whistle, piano, guitar, and tabla.  I got into it in my early twenties when I was reading D.T. Suzuki's books on zen. 
My zen studies have led me to understand that you can't banish your ego and If you think you have, you're fooling yourself.   To quote Alan Watts, "trying to control your thoughts are like trying to smooth the surface of water with an iron."  I quite enjoy having a sense of the self, although I know it really is just a concept! 

I'm very greatful to have found such a great website and look forward to chatting with all of you and learning from the more experienced players.

Nihongo ga hanasete itsu de mo nihongo no dekiru hito to hanasu!

Last edited by Kamesan (2006-10-05 21:25:11)

#2 2006-09-28 11:50:55

dstone
Website

Re: greetings from New Jersey!

Kamesan wrote:

He tried to be a Mr. Miyagi type of guy, and would have me do all these exercises but never tell me why and how they benefit me ...

Hi Kameson.  Welcome!

Exercises like Crane Kicks, standing on a pole?  Or useful, healthy exercises like finger, hand, and wrist warmups?  And blowing long tones?

Kamesan wrote:

I think that it's an instrument and like any other, it takes work and and understanding of its physics to operate it.

The physics of air across an edge and standing waves in a tapered cylinder full of holes...  You'll find that here.   Also many obtuse Zen remarks.  Sometimes by the same people.  That's the community.  Some of the best makers and players in the world frequent the forum, so welcome, and good luck on your shakuhachi path!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-09-28 20:31:48

Kamesan

Re: greetings from New Jersey!

THanks for the warm welcome.  I've been browsing around here and have already learned much!

Board footer