Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-01 23:11:57

Yu-Jin

Free "Zen Shakuhachi" recording by Ejun Yechika

Hi everybody,

I found this CD on the web site of Russian Zen center. It is done by Komuso monk Ejun Yechika, who is travelling all over Europe with Shakuhachi performances. I think, he is from Rinseiken tradition (as I looked on komuso.com site, this name sounded the closest to the Russian translation)

The note at the bottom of the page states that the music was posted with the permission of Ejun, so it should be free.

http://zencenter.ru/Shakuhachi/Shakuhachi/index.html

There are two sets of links on the page. Top 7 - large higher quality files, second 7 - smaller files for easier downloading.

It would be interesting to here what you all think about this recording.
If moderators consider this post inappropriate, please delete it.

Eugene.

#2 2006-10-02 06:05:35

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Free "Zen Shakuhachi" recording by Ejun Yechika

Sounds consistant with recordings of Nishimura Koku to me.

The large hollow flute sound (kyotaku) and breathy low intesity/high-speed throat vibrato is pretty compelling stuff.

-------------------------

I'm not sure "throat" vibrato is an entirely accurate desciption, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2006-10-02 13:44:33)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#3 2006-10-06 05:13:48

Harry
Website

Is it just me or does that link go to a whole nother place all of a sudden?

Regards,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#4 2006-10-06 11:18:29

jeff jones
Website

Thats funny, yesturday we had finished recording it and last night went back to get the track listing and it was gone.I thought it was just me.

I'm not quite sure if I hear Nishimura Koku in there anywhere, but I should keep listining.

Beauty is ugly at rest

#5 2006-10-06 11:55:02

Yu-Jin

I think, it has something to do with stability of the Russian server.. I saw it happen several times before.

#6 2006-10-06 16:04:16

Moran from Planet X
Website

jeff jones wrote:

I'm not quite sure if I hear Nishimura Koku in there anywhere, but I should keep listining.

Not Nishimura personally, but I thought the style sounded similar. I like the recordings.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#7 2006-10-06 18:24:56

jeff jones
Website

Hi Chris

I didn't mean Nishimura Koku personally, as well, I found that the attack on the notes and the pacing was different than that of Nishimura's.And that I should keep listening, I'm sure you noticed something I missed.I also like the recordings

Last edited by jeff jones (2006-10-06 19:52:55)

Beauty is ugly at rest

#8 2006-10-10 16:29:32

philthefluter
Website

The link is jumping to another site again. Any solutions?

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#9 2006-10-10 21:41:43

Yu-Jin

I guess the server went down or somebody did not pay the bill. Since it was free download, I guess I can put it on public file server, like megaupload.com. Let me know what you think.
Eugene

#10 2006-10-11 08:00:22

Harry
Website

Maybe it was taken down because somebody found out it was there? Is there any way to check with the artist?

Regards,

Harry.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#11 2006-10-11 13:54:29

Moran from Planet X
Website

jeff jones wrote:

I'm sure you noticed something I missed.

No, probably not. I'm sure your comments regarding different pacing and attack are perceptive and accurate.

I think I'm really caught up in this artist's use of what sounds like a very rapid, yet rather subtle, breath vibrato. It doesn't sound like yuri. I think if you moved your head _that_ fast in yuri you'd either pass out or develop extremely think neck muscles.

The only players I've heard use that similar type of approach is Nishimura and his European student Tilopa.

Or what else could I be hearing?

#12 2006-10-11 17:51:51

edosan
Edomologist

Sounds like that to me, too...not my cuppa.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2006-10-16 04:26:56

Yu-Jin

The first link I posted is dead. I think the Zen Center domain is not working properly. However, the original address is working OK. It does have the statement that it was posted with the permission of.
http://zenshakuhachi.narod.ru/Shakuhachi/index.html

#14 2006-10-19 22:10:54

Moran from Planet X
Website

jeff jones wrote:

Yes, I'm hearing that less and less, now too -- but for what I think I hear is a diaphram or throat vibrato. That still throws me. I also wonder if the player is a westerner?

On this recording, Ejun Yechika plays Asuka Reibo which I've only heard Riley Lee play on his DVD. The only other recording of Askua Reibo I have knowledge of is Sakai Chikuho I (Album name: Reibo - ADAM - AAC-2001 1978.

#15 2006-10-20 19:53:53

Josh
PhD
Website

Chris,
  I believe he is Japanese, at least his name is Japanese, also spelled Ejun Iechika. There are some pictures of him on this site:

http://ejun.by.ru/index1.html

He is of asian ethnicity but his name may be a recieved type of Zen name. Unfortunately there is no info on his school or training, so we don't know under who he studied the shakuhachi with (or it's there and just not in English) .

#16 2006-10-20 20:01:02

Josh
PhD
Website

I can't read check but in one article that can be clicked on at the bottom of his site it looks like he was born in Oita prefecture (kyushu) and studied Rinzai Zen. Lived in Gifu prefecture... and studied Myoan ryu shakuhachi. His notation did have the Fuke shu title on the booklet.
Josh

#17 2006-10-22 22:34:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Josh wrote:

... studied Rinzai Zen. Lived in Gifu prefecture... and studied Myoan ryu shakuhachi. His notation did have the Fuke shu title on the booklet.

Thank you, Josh. Makes these recordings all the more interesting.

#18 2006-10-31 20:27:56

Moran from Planet X
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

I think I'm really caught up in this artist's use of what sounds like a very rapid, yet rather subtle, breath vibrato. It doesn't sound like yuri. I think if you moved your head _that_ fast in yuri you'd either pass out or develop extremely think neck muscles.

Listening to the recordings more closely it sounds like a 'kubi-furi' (up-down movement) vibrato dominates his playing.

There seems to be a lot of interest in Ejun Yechika in Russia and Eastern Europe. Has anyone personally watched him play or has seen video of him?

#19 2006-11-21 13:18:51

abarefootboy
Website

I have been fortunate in establishing email contact with Ejun Iechika.  He is currently in Japan and will be returning to the Ukraine near the beginning of the new year.

Ejun writes to confirm that his shakuhachi school is 'Fuke Myouann' and says that the 'trill' heard on his recording was done with throat vibrato.

He  studied zen in Nanzenji Monastery ,Daitokuji Monastery and Empukuji Monastery in Kyoto.

I passed along the invitation of the Shakuhachi Forum to visit ..  also giving Ejun the link to this thread.

“A single night of love is better than a hundred thousand years of sterile meditation."
                                                                                                                                Ikkyu

#20 2006-11-23 20:27:30

Moran from Planet X
Website

abarefootboy wrote:

Ejun writes to confirm that his shakuhachi school is 'Fuke Myouann' and says that the 'trill' heard on his recording was done with throat vibrato.

Good to hear confirmation from the artist himself. I noticed a similar vibrato (to repeat myself from an earlier post) in Nishimura's playing. Any Kyotaku students out there to comment?

Regional stylistic differences have always fascinated me in traditional music. In shakuhachi the use or non-use of vibrato seems to have many different shades than I first learned.

#21 2006-11-26 14:50:06

david

unfortunately i cannot access any of the sites with downloadable music of his! but i am very intrigued simply by the talk of him! i did find info on a newly released cd of his, "Zen Shakuhachi-Japanese Flute-Komuso Monk;Ejun Yechika"
as soon as anybody finds out where we can order this cd, can you please let me know?!!!!!!!

thank you in advance!

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#22 2006-11-30 11:04:22

Moran from Planet X
Website

http://zenshakuhachi.narod.ru/Shakuhachi/index.html is still active

right click on the title of the song (which is a link to an mp3)
and chose "Download Linked File" from the right-click drop-down menu.

repeat for as many songs as you want to download.

open in itunes or other media program

#23 2006-11-30 15:52:30

edosan
Edomologist

Be advised: Slowest server IN the galaxy--at least at present.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#24 2006-11-30 17:22:11

Yu-Jin

Note:
upper set of links (1-7) - better quality and larger file size
lower set of links (1-7) - lower quality and smaller file size

#25 2006-12-01 08:56:52

edosan
Edomologist

Yu-Jin wrote:

Note:
upper set of links (1-7) - better quality and larger file size
lower set of links (1-7) - lower quality and smaller file size

On my browser, at least, the upper set of links, when 'right-clicked' for download, produce a 40KB 'mp3' file that does nothing; the download starts, but then just produces the truncated file.

Just clicking on the upper set of links leads to some sort of Russian website, which is inscrutable to me, but appears to be a forum of somr sort.

Right-ckicking on the lower links gets a download going, but we're talking 33 minutes for one file. I have a high-speed broadband connection, so I don't see how the bottleneck is at my end. The download speed is on the order of .7KB/sec...

Not a day at the beach, that site,

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer