World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-08 22:10:51

Lady B Lotus

SHAKUHACHI CLUB NYC

Shakuhachi Club NYC
Brian Ritchie

I honor this CD because I can really tell a lot of hard work was put into it . There's an array of other instruments accompanying the shakuhachi that come together creatively, giving the listener a true taste of improvisation in its best form and a "musical journey" to truly remember.

Brian "Tairaku" Ritchie ~ Shakuhachi
Billy Ficca ~ Drums, Percussion
Dan Nosheny ~ Tuba
Tony Trischka ~ Banjo
John Kruth ~ Mandolin

Songs like, "Motherless Children",  "Watazumi's Tea Bowl", and "Oyster Stomp",  have a jazzy feel to them with a very rhythm n' bluesy kind of beat. 

Songs like, "Lament",   and John Coltrane's, "Living Space",   are calm and meditative but have awesome dynamic levels that rise and fall, < >. Then there are songs like, "Waltz of the Minotaur",  that makes the listener feel like they are in front of a large live orchestra instead of five musicians in one studio room. 

"Have No Idea"  is fun!  I can't leave out one of my personal favorites, and that is "Bender".  I really dig all the changes and the mellow way it comes to an end.

This is an album you definitely want to have in your music collection and cherish it forever. I like it because its something different!  The musicians do a brilliant job working together and have come up with some serious sounds that will get the attention of any lover of music.

I am looking forward to hearing Brian's new cd: RYOANJI,  and many more to come.

~Bunnia~

*I'd like to leave a little note to say that this past June I used
"Watazumi's Tea Bowl "  in the graduation program at the daycare center where I teach the 4 - 5 yr. old class. The children loved to dance when I would play the cd,  so I thought it would be great for them to come up with a dance routine to the music. They came up with their own choreography and the girls made and decorated Japanese folding fans while the boys made colorful streamers. They put on a great performance and their parents loved it!

Currently, my new class is enjoying this cd too. In Early Childhood Development, there is now a lot of focus put on introducing children to more music that is instrumental.

#2 2006-12-13 00:19:13

de_Genova

Re: SHAKUHACHI CLUB NYC

Bunnia....can you post a video of the children dancing?........PD

Don't take any wooden nickles!

Board footer