Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#76 2009-03-24 12:38:00

Rick Riekert

Re: What do you listen to?

Seth, do you think you could you provide a beginner's list of contemptible or at least dislikeable music along with a brief description of it baneful effects so we'll know where to spit our venom and thereby make the world a better place?

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

#77 2009-03-24 12:51:55

Vevolis
Website

Rick Riekert wrote:

Seth, do you think you could you provide a beginner's list of contemptible or at least dislikeable music along with a brief description of it baneful effects so we'll know where to spit our venom and thereby make the world a better place?

No, that's cheating, keep your eyes on your own paper. You'll find your answers differ, anyways.

I think Seth's point is that every music genre is multi-faceted. It's difficult to say (Like many people claim) all Country Hip Hop or Rap is awful. I'm particularly fond of Soul Hooligan's "Algebra". Very nice melody, lyrics make some sense and not a swear word in sight. My kind of music.

When I was youger, I wrote a song on a synth called "Mr. Miyagi and Me". You can't contemplate the horror. So yes, there is bad music out there, too.

Last edited by Vevolis (2009-03-24 13:00:00)

#78 2009-03-24 13:30:57

Seth

Rick Riekert wrote:

Sure.

In general music that glorifies and promotes mindless sex, violence, crime, rape, iresponsible drug use, political oppression, totalitarian regimes, genocide and/or homophobia is at the very least dislikeable.

#79 2009-03-24 13:38:03

edosan
Edomologist

Seth wrote:

Rick Riekert wrote:

Sure.

In general music that glorifies and promotes mindless sex, violence, crime, rape, iresponsible drug use, political oppression, totalitarian regimes, genocide and/or homophobia is at the very least dislikeable.

That would then, I assume, include 'The Ride of the Valkyries'?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#80 2009-03-24 13:38:49

ABRAXAS

Seth wrote:

Rick Riekert wrote:

Sure.

I recall listening to a lot of Mississippi John Hurt at one time, mellow and elaborate acoustic blues fingerpicking, very "happy" melodies, almost "frolikingly" happy, one song in particular set to a joyous melody described how he discovershis wife cheating with his best friend, how he then stabs, shoots, and strangles her, then chops her up into pieces and dumps her body in the river. Kind of like a rap song only with an uplifting and soothing melody with Hurt's impeccable guitar playing.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#81 2009-03-24 14:38:26

Seth

edosan wrote:

Seth wrote:

Rick Riekert wrote:

Sure.

Great question.

It was only about ten years ago that Israel allowed any orchestra to play Wagner as his music was closely associated with the Holocaust.   No question that it is beautiful music, but also it's no question that the Nazis were very inspired by Wagner. 

Whenever I have gone to a Wagner opera (on a few occassions) it's always with very mixed feelings:  awe, pleasure, and a good deal of dread.   For me there's a thread of evil in his music.

#82 2009-03-24 20:14:23

axolotl
Website

Yeah, how about Last Poets, Tribe Called Quest, Blackalicious, Beastie Boys, Atmosphere, heck, how about some Snoop D-o-double G and some RUN-DMC, not to mention KRS-One?  smile  How about some Africa Bambaataa, who sampled Kraftwerk?  That's just scratching the surface of great hip hop, a pretty amazing genre that contains turntablists, slam poets, rappers, beatboxers, and the pioneers of remixing and sampling.  I'm not even that huge of a hip hop fan, but I have to represent.  wink

My favorite artists include Depeche Mode, Ray LaMontagne, Jeff Buckley, Bat For Lashes, Led Zepellin, The Beatles, and various jazz and world and classical artists.

#83 2009-03-24 20:22:53

axolotl
Website

Oops, my response is super late, but I feel like playing "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" by the Ramones now, followed by Nick Cave's version of "Stagger Lee". 

Yknow, my music is different for different occasions.  If I go clubbing, I want to dance to some industrial or techno, like Lords of Acid or Covenant or VNV Nation.  If I listen to music at work, it might be ambient or IDM so I don't have to focus on it too carefully.  If I have been scoring a film--well, I'll go listen to some film composers, or Henri Dutilleux or Stravinsky or Lutoslawski, or Dvorak or Arvo Pårt.  If I am playing music, well, I'm either strumming acoustic guitar, or I'm assiduously learning some shakuhachi.  It's all good.

#84 2009-03-24 21:36:14

geminishadow79

axolotl wrote:

Oops, my response is super late, but I feel like playing "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" by the Ramones now, followed by Nick Cave's version of "Stagger Lee". 

Yknow, my music is different for different occasions.  If I go clubbing, I want to dance to some industrial or techno, like Lords of Acid or Covenant or VNV Nation.  If I listen to music at work, it might be ambient or IDM so I don't have to focus on it too carefully.  If I have been scoring a film--well, I'll go listen to some film composers, or Henri Dutilleux or Stravinsky or Lutoslawski, or Dvorak or Arvo Pårt.  If I am playing music, well, I'm either strumming acoustic guitar, or I'm assiduously learning some shakuhachi.  It's all good.

And that, in my opinion, is the greatest thing about music. No matter what your doing or what your going through there is a piece of music that just right for that time. Not everyone needs to agree on what is considered good music or bad music, the point is that for every piece of music created there will be somebody out there just waiting for it to change their life.

#85 2009-03-24 22:06:54

Seth

Vevolis wrote:

When I was youger, I wrote a song on a synth called "Mr. Miyagi and Me". You can't contemplate the horror.

For some reason I have a suspicion that I would really enjoy this song a lot.  Any chance of getting a mp3 or possibly a youtube?

#86 2009-03-24 23:18:16

geminishadow79

Vevolis wrote:

Tweaker (Chris Vrenna, former drummer for NIN)
NIN (I'm lost on some of the recent releases)

I'm not too familiar with The Violent Femmes other than American Music and something about one kiss and a swear word and also the theme to Spongebob.

I'm fond of only one or two things i've written.

Oh. And Wind Him Up by Saga.

Ahh you are thinking of "Add it Up" 

Did you know that NIN will be touring with janes addiction this summer.  I"ve never had the pleasure of seeing them live (NIN)  but i'm hoping to change that, I bet its mind blowing!

#87 2009-03-25 00:31:46

axolotl
Website

I have never seen NIN live either.  Wish I had seen them tour with Bowie.  Jane's Addiction put on a super fine show. 

The Ting Tings, radi0gnome!  Damn good band. 

I'm seeing Depeche Mode and Bat For Lashes live this summer, and when tickets go on sale, I am finally throwing down to see U2.  Would have been nice if I had seen them 20 years ago, but better late than never.

#88 2009-03-25 00:43:10

madoherty

I saw NIN on the Pretty Hate Machine Tour - Man, was Trent Pissed Off!  That was in 1991 - I have obviously not forgotten it... it was memorable.

#89 2009-03-25 02:59:13

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Seth wrote:

edosan wrote:

Great question.

It was only about ten years ago that Israel allowed any orchestra to play Wagner as his music was closely associated with the Holocaust.   No question that it is beautiful music, but also it's no question that the Nazis were very inspired by Wagner. 

Whenever I have gone to a Wagner opera (on a few occasions) it's always with very mixed feelings:  awe, pleasure, and a good deal of dread.   For me there's a thread of evil in his music.

I LOVE Wagner!
I hear his music as being extremely sensitive and so musically innovative. I have seen many of his operas several times. Last year I saw the whole Ring Cycle in a week at Covent Garden in London. Amazing!
I see no connection in his music with Nazi Germany. And I can't really see or hear any evil either. Yes, he did become anti-semitist in his older days (which there are no excuses for), but he died in 1883 and therefore has - unlike Richard Strauss - no connection in time with the unfortunate circumstances in Germany in the first half of the 20th century. If you read some biography about Wagner, he had to go underground and flee to Switzerland because he was in a uprising in Prussia against the tyrannous system. So, he was in fact also a revolutionary.... smile Something we don't really connect with Wagner.
Nazi Germany loved Wagner's music. That is a fact. But Wagner's music has nothing to do with Nazi Germany.
When I first heard Wagner, I was so amazed by his reputation of being bombastic and grand. Despite his use of over-sized orchestras - I think his music is most of the time transparent and beautiful.
Both Richard Strauss and Wilhelm Furtwängler had to go through de-nazification after the war. Wagner was laying peacefully in his grave.

So, yes. I listen to a lot of classical music. I love opera! smile And when I am in London I am surrounded by what is now labeled 'World Music'.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-03-25 03:01:26)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#90 2009-03-25 04:54:43

Seth

Kiku Day wrote:

[
Nazi Germany loved Wagner's music. That is a fact. But Wagner's music has nothing to do with Nazi Germany.
When I first heard Wagner, I was so amazed by his reputation of being bombastic and grand. Despite his use of over-sized orchestras - I think his music is most of the time transparent and beautiful.
Both Richard Strauss and Wilhelm Furtwängler had to go through de-nazification after the war. Wagner was laying peacefully in his grave.

So, yes. I listen to a lot of classical music. I love opera! smile And when I am in London I am surrounded by what is now labeled 'World Music'.

I think in trying to endorse Wagner's music the only winnable argument is to say the man and the music are two separate entities that need not be confused.   Trying to argue that, yeah, he hated Jews but he wasn't a really serious anti-semite like those other guys is a really ugly path.   Wagner was a cultural hero in Germany who helped legitimize the perspective that Jews were alien creatures in Germany who needed to be removed.  And he was a passionate anti-semite his entire life.  He just went public when he got older when anti-semitism become more widely accepted.   Nazism did not spring up over night; it was a product of a long cultural legacy of which Wagner was not a minor player.   

I imagine for you this  issue is somewhat abstract.  But for me the holocaust is the event that killed off my European family, and the parents and grandparents of many of my friends and loved ones.    I mention this to just ask you to realize that referring to the holocaust as 'unfortunate circumstances' can be painful.

#91 2009-03-25 06:01:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Talent often finds odd repositories.

I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of famous musicians. There is no correlation between their integrity as human beings and their artistry. In fact there is a certain amount of narcissism which is required for most musicians to attain any kind of excellence.

In the shakuhachi world we have Watazumi who trained soldiers in the Imperial Army, who were not renowned for their sense of fair play. I may as well burn my vintage flutes because they were likely made by nationalist scumbags. I can keep playing Taimu, Monty and Perry flutes because I know they are nice guys. I have a Chinese student whose family gives him a hard time for studying Japanese arts because of what they did to the Chinese.

Pyramids and many other "wonders" were created by slave labor.

I love Wagner's music. His personality is something I haven't given much thought to. I figure he was a product of his time and place, as we all are. We probably wouldn't want to listen to country music if we thought of the kinds of rednecks who developed it. It's a slippery slope if we don't listen to music by bad people, musicians usually fit that category.

But if you have personal reasons to avoid certain music that's legitimate.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#92 2009-03-25 07:14:09

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Seth wrote:

I think in trying to endorse Wagner's music the only winnable argument is to say the man and the music are two separate entities that need not be confused.   Trying to argue that, yeah, he hated Jews but he wasn't a really serious anti-semite like those other guys is a really ugly path.   Wagner was a cultural hero in Germany who helped legitimize the perspective that Jews were alien creatures in Germany who needed to be removed.  And he was a passionate anti-semite his entire life.  He just went public when he got older when anti-semitism become more widely accepted.   Nazism did not spring up over night; it was a product of a long cultural legacy of which Wagner was not a minor player.   

I imagine for you this  issue is somewhat abstract.  But for me the holocaust is the event that killed off my European family, and the parents and grandparents of many of my friends and loved ones.    I mention this to just ask you to realize that referring to the holocaust as 'unfortunate circumstances' can be painful.

I am sorry if I offended you with my post. I am not trying to defend Wagner. There were parts of his personal life that cannot be said to be positive at all. And I don't think man and music are two separate entities at all. No music without a man organising the sound - which is highly connected to his/her cultural background.

Seth, I don't think Nazi-Germany is an abstract issue for me. I am from a country that was occupied by Germany for 5 years during the war. I am half jewish and the jewish side of my family left Russia when... well... 2 million Russians died during the war.
I used the words 'unfortunate circumstances' because we all know (or hopefully we all know) that these years contain a lot of pain. This pain is different to each individual - I therefore used what I regarded as a somewhat open term for this to leave space for the individual experience of these years. I apologise if that was painful to you. I did not mean to belittle what happened with these words.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-03-25 08:14:58)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#93 2009-03-25 08:37:57

Vevolis
Website

Seth wrote:

Vevolis wrote:

When I was youger, I wrote a song on a synth called "Mr. Miyagi and Me". You can't contemplate the horror.

For some reason I have a suspicion that I would really enjoy this song a lot.  Any chance of getting a mp3 or possibly a youtube?

I could dig around, truth be told it's been wiped from existence minus a friend who has held onto a lot of my old stuff... the weirdo. He probably still has it... it's unfinished. I should re-write it now that Pat Morita has passed away... and since I’ve found out he was quite the sexist womanizer.

Also, I saw NIN in 2005 for "With Teeth". The Dresden Dolls opened for them. Actually that's a pretty bizzare and awesome band as well, "Brechtian Punk Cabaret" is how they describe themselves. It was rather interesting how I aquired tickets after they had sold out.

#94 2009-03-25 08:46:47

Seth

Kiku Day wrote:

I apologise if that was painful to you. I did not mean to belittle what happened with these words.

No need for an apology.  Without knowing someone well it's sometimes hard to know the intent behind some euphimisms.

#95 2009-03-25 08:51:24

ABRAXAS

When I was much younger, I realized after meeting several noted musicians and writers that it was a mistake to assume the virtues of their work would somehow automatically correlate to any kind of virtue in their personality.

To this day I'm apprehensive about watching in-depth interviews with actors or whomever, whose work I admire, it is as often as not a huge turn off, then I have to jump through the mental hoop of disassociating their repulsive personalities from their exceptional work.

#96 2009-03-25 09:25:59

lowonthetotem
Website

To not have contempt or disdain or at least a dislike for some music is to ignore its potential to influence the world.

Sure there are musicians and bands and songs that I don't care for much, but my point was about discounting entire genres wholesale.  Furthermore, isn't ignoring or discounting these more brash accounts of life a way of ignoring or discounting aspects of life we find distasteful?

Excellent point (and excellent avatar too!).  For folks that poo poo baudy accounts of sex and violence, let me direct you to the works of Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Homer, whose works were written in verse and meant to have at least some musical quality to them.  The language doesn't sound so blatant to us, but trust me, that is mainly due to our romanticism concerning the past and our rather ignorant reverence for the unfamiliar.  Even more to the point, I'd say that the macho bravado so evident in Rap is reminiscent of some aspect of Japanese culture.

It's a slippery slope if we don't listen to music by bad people, musicians usually fit that category.

Not to mention the fact that not playing them silences less than desirable perspectives and the baser aspects of our history.  "Those ho do not know history are doomed to repeat it."  Since when is simply playing music, or even listening to it, an endorsement, anyway.

Sorry, I won't engage in the moralistic arguments anymore.  I know it is not the point of the thread, my apologies.

Thanks axolotl.  Yes Tribe Called Quest and Run DMC are favorites of mine.  I also enjoy Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, and a few other pioneer Rap/Hip Hop groups from my youth when Rap was just forming itself and coming into its own.  Some attitudes expressed here about Rap sound very similar to what I heard my parents an grand parents say about Rock N Roll bands like Steppenwolf, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and even The Beatles.  My dad, a 30+ year Navy man, used to enjoy calling them Hippy Pinko Faggots.  I know, it sounds so steryotypical, but it really is true.  They were going to be responsible for the dissolution of all that was good about Western Culture and moral values.  LOL.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#97 2009-03-25 11:17:06

indigo

funny how playing has changed my listening
pitch, rhythm and increasingly harmony are what I listen for now
so that listening to any sort of music is extremely interesting with my "new ears"
the cultural context of the music seems to matter less and less
Jaco Pastorius has some great instructional videos on utube, his music makes me so happy
Jaco was talking about Charlie Parker,  so now Charlie Parker etc. etc.
16 bit recordings lost my attention many years ago so that now they only serve as references to the practice of music and listening in 3 dimensions,  mp3s are worse
working the other day alone in a house installing a kitchen on the east end of Long Island I found that the absence of radio was a bit difficult so started looking for some music
most of the radio was annoying and finally settled on lite FM in Connecticut and couldn't believe that I was giving "faith a fighting chance" 
listening to voice is great
what the heck honkyoku is spiritual music, do the semantics matter?
finally the work day ended and the radio was off, time to play
4hrs of uninterupted practice time in an open room therefore, in hindsight, bliss
the sound of the shakuhachi in real space and time is a tremendous gift
anyone who has attended a shakuhachi festival knows how astoundingly excellent the masters are in real time and space

I listen to my dear teacher.

Last edited by indigo (2009-03-25 11:23:17)

#98 2009-03-25 11:24:21

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

How about also posing the question, "What do you not listen to"?  Try NOT listening to music you normally would listen to without giving it a thought for a while.  If you want to change your ear, stop listening to everything except shakuhachi for a week, then even longer, just as an experiment to see what might happen to you. I'd love to see a dozen people do this and come back and talk about it. I'm going have my students do this as homework.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#99 2009-03-25 11:45:49

ABRAXAS

chikuzen wrote:

How about also posing the question, "What do you not listen to"?  Try NOT listening to music you normally would listen to without giving it a thought for a while.  If you want to change your ear, stop listening to everything except shakuhachi for a week, then even longer, just as an experiment to see what might happen to you. I'd love to see a dozen people do this and come back and talk about it. I'm going have my students do this as homework.

That is interesting. I should have put a disclaimer on my above list: "when I used to listen to music all of the time." Shakuhachi got me back into paying attention to music again, but for the first few months shakuhachi recordings was all I listened to, then I started digging out things I used to listen to in order to scrutinize it again, and it was interesting because now I notice melodies and riffs with an ear for shakuhachi, noting some things that either could be reminescent of shakuhachi music or would sound good on a shakuhachi (fewer).

In teaching myself I make it a practice, just to get better acquainted with the instrument, to figure out ANY song or melody that I remember, that sticks in my head, or that I encounter - just because I think its good to be able to play whatever I hear regardless as to whether its appropriate for the instrument or not - it makes it easier later when you have your own music in your head to just be able to play it "as is" without thinking about it. This is a general self-education process I've used with other instruments because being able to play by ear is more important to me than playing by paper, and being able to play whatever comes into my head is more important than both.

Another amusing topic for discussion would be what kind of stuff people play for these reasons or for their own amusement that they wouldn't normally admit to. wink

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-03-25 11:54:33)

#100 2009-03-25 11:49:29

Rick Riekert

Seth wrote:

Seth, the devil in your lack of details is words, not music; or if you prefer, words set to music, i.e. songs. I’m sure I’ve never heard a homophobic melody; though if, per impossible, one were to be written I see no reason to think it couldn’t be quite danceable or otherwise enjoyable. You seem to believe certain songs are morally reprehensible. If that means anything I suppose it means that performances of those songs incite or tend to incite people to do bad things they would not otherwise do. That belief and its consequences has a long if somewhat unedifying history, dating at least as far back as Plato. Is it true? I’m sure we can all give some anecdotal evidence that supports our own inclination, but that’s about it. As for music making the world a better place, I’ve been listening to Palestrina and the B Minor Mass for the past 30 years and am the same moral nondescript now as when I started. But then, Joseph Goebbels adored Mozart whose music was deemed too “violent” by 18C members of Vienna’s aristocracy (maybe they were right, eh?). So one shouldn’t expect too much. I once attended a performance of the St. Matthew Passion where half the audience fell asleep. To the extent that they were unconscious and not doing one another harm you might say that Bach’s music helped make the world a better place for those 3 hours.

All the best.

Mastery does not lay in the mastery of technique, but in penetrating the heart of the music. However, he who has not mastered the technique will not penetrate the heart of the music.
~ Hisamatsu Fûyô

Board footer