Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Is there a reason not to glue the Shakuhachi Yuu together?

#1 2006-11-03 12:35:38

BrianP
Website

Is there a reason not to glue the Shakuhachi Yuu together?

I was wondering if there is a drawback to gluing the shakuhachi yuu together?  I recently got one and don't forsee myself needing to take it apart and i don't want to worry about the joint getting loose over time.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

BrianP

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#2 2006-11-03 13:11:14

PSTL

Re: Is there a reason not to glue the Shakuhachi Yuu together?

Brian,

I've had a Yuu for over two years and have only taken it apart twice. I took it apart to fit into travel luggage. I see no reason not to glue it. Mine has recently become loose and I'm going to glue it with some light glue, in case I ever want to pry it apart.

Phil

#3 2006-11-03 13:19:03

Toffe

Instead of gluing it I would suggest you take some linnen or cotton thread and wind it very hard around the male part of the joint. Then you greace it up with some wax or flute greace. Glue is a bit drastic.. but that's just me. I may be out of line.

// Chris the Swede

#4 2006-11-03 13:33:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toffe wrote:

Instead of gluing it I would suggest you take some linnen or cotton thread and wind it very hard around the male part of the joint. Then you greace it up with some wax or flute greace. Glue is a bit drastic.. but that's just me. I may be out of line.

// Chris the Swede

Good idea, or you can simply use a piece of cellophane tape. This works on bamboo flutes as well.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-11-03 14:04:57

bluespiderweb

Yes, there is a good reason not to-you may want to be able to take it apart to clean it, pack it, or decide to sell it and glue isn't best.

Another easy solution is plumber's teflon tape (not sticky) that you can just wrap around, with no adhesive, and works great, and is very cheap and easy to do.

Be well,  Barry

#6 2006-11-03 15:10:03

Toffe

Plumbers tape is a great idea! That stuff is designed to be tight and not let water or air through.

#7 2006-11-03 16:13:29

rpowers

Toffe wrote:

// Chris the Swede

I would be very cautious with this approach. I once used it on the foot joint of a bass recorder, and split out the joint. It cost a good bit to have a professional repair it for me.

Of course, if you break the joint in your Yuu, then no one will object to your gluing the whole thing back together.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#8 2006-11-03 18:14:12

Larry

How about electrical tape on the outside to hold it together?  I think they make elec tape in multiple colors, so you could choose your favorite or go for the whole rainbow.  Also, it would be easy to take off if you ever wanted to take the flute apart.

#9 2006-11-03 19:30:12

amokrun

Larry wrote:

How about electrical tape on the outside to hold it together?  I think they make elec tape in multiple colors, so you could choose your favorite or go for the whole rainbow.  Also, it would be easy to take off if you ever wanted to take the flute apart.

I have used that to test for leaks. As far as I could tell, it worked quite nicely. When I took it off a while later, it didn't seem to leave anything behind. Not sure if that would change if the tape was left for a long period of time. Some of the colors (red and white, especially) look quite decent on a flute. Chances are that you can find darker shades from somewhere, as most of the standard sets are very bright and may look a bit strange.

#10 2006-11-03 19:46:29

BrianP
Website

That's why I asked.  Thaks for the replies.  I will probably just use the cellophane tape.  Thanks again.

BrianP
http://www.harpgear.com

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#11 2006-11-15 02:53:54

John Gribble

You might try some dental floss. That's a common fix (recommended to me by flutemaker Ralph Sweet) and certainly a common material.

John Gribble

#12 2006-11-15 11:54:04

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Plumbers tape on the inside is best. It comes off easily. Electrical tape is not good for very long. If you leave it on too long it will be very sticky and does not come of well. Especially in summer but all year too. I wouldn't advise you to glue it if you plan on taking it apart again later. Cellophane tape is less than ideal as it tends to crumble ot tear when you take it off.

Chikuzen

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#13 2006-11-15 14:13:55

BrianP
Website

Thanks Chikuzen.  That seems like an even better idea.

Brian

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#14 2007-01-29 16:53:54

Rick McDaniel

There might be a time when you would want to take it apart, or sell it, and then it would be best to remain a 2 piece flute.

Tightening a joint, is easily done with renewable materials, such as winding the male part of the joint with dental floss, or with plumbers tape. Both will tighten and seal, simultaneously.

As those wear, and the joint loosens again, you simply replace them with fresh.

Of course, if you don't take the flute apart, unless needed, the problem will be minimal, anyway.

Rick

#15 2007-01-29 17:53:12

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

I've always used cellophane tape for loose joints. It only crumbles of tears if the tape is old. Beofore putting on the tape, make sure the surface of the joint is clean, cut it to fit, then apply tape. Put some lubricant like vaseline on the surface then slide the flute together. It should work great. Plumbers tape is fine too...

Alcvin

I live a shakuhachi life.

#16 2007-02-26 10:20:00

PSTL

If you have a Yuu that's loose at the joint, here's an excellent fix.

Simply apply a light film of Elmers Glue-All to the joint. It's the white glue that's popular for school projects.

I tested this on my own loose Yuu and it provides a very good bond without damaging the joint. Two-months after applying, I decided to see if I could release the bond and sure enough it released with a firm tap. No damage!

I wouldn't try this on a bamboo joint without testing, but it's nice to know it works on the Yuu.

Peace. cool

Last edited by PSTL (2007-02-26 10:20:33)

#17 2007-02-26 19:14:19

edosan
Edomologist

Just how do you reckon you'd 'test' it on a bamboo joint?

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#18 2007-02-26 19:33:16

PSTL

eB,

The same way I tested it on a Yuu joint. I don't know why anyone would want to apply it to a bamboo joint. There are better ways, I'm sure. I do know that it's an excellent fix for a loose Yuu.

I'm assuming your question was legit and not an expression of some type of anger.

Peace

#19 2007-02-26 22:22:36

edosan
Edomologist

Actually, a question of puzzlement: Why would you ever want to put glue in the nakatsuge of a bamboo shakuhachi?

Incomprehensible...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#20 2007-02-26 23:15:58

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

Actually, a question of puzzlement: Why would you ever want to put glue in the nakatsuge of a bamboo shakuhachi?

Incomprehensible...

eB

Obviously in order to tighten it up, which I understand the loosening joints are a common problem. Since bamboo is porous, unlike the plastic Yuu, I'd think that the white glue would work differently than with the Yuu and soak into the instrument some. That would make it less temporary and require some sanding and some bamboo would have to be removed in order to get the glue off. Probably not the best solution to the problem.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#21 2007-02-27 08:09:00

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

This is such an interesting thread because, as a player and resident of Japan, these are questions that would never come up.  Not because the problem might not exist here, but because the Yuu is not used very extensively.  It's considered a poor substitute for the real thing as far as I can see.  In fact, PVC is probably used more commonly for that purpose than a Yuu simply because it is considerably cheaper and when considering the purchase of a Yuu, price is almost always the issue.  Of the few hundred shakuhachi players that I come into contact with, there isn't one that I have ever seen playing a Yuu or PVC publically (and I'm not suggesting that some might not own either or both).  The question of glueing a nakastugi is also simply one that never comes up.  It seems that it isn't even considered.  There is a purpose behind the nakastugi and that purpose exists with the purchase.  If there is a problem with leakage, then the issue of traditionally securing the joint is addressed.  Glue isn't the answer.  This observation is simply for cross-cultural reference and doesn't in any way answer the question of whether one should or could glue the nakastugi of a Yuu together or not.  In my humble opinion, if you don't care to have a two piece plastic shakuhachi, then glue it and be happy.  If you want a two piece plastic shakuhachi but it leaks at the nakastugi, then any temporary sealant that allows the instrument to come apart will do.  If you have a two piece bamboo shakuhachi that is in every other way a well made instrumtent, but you prefer a one piece, sell it and buy a one piece instrument.  There is always somebody else who might want the two piece instrument.  If your otherwise well made bamboo instrument leaks at the nakatsugi, then seek professional repair. I personally think that to glue the nakatsugi only to seal la eak with the idea that you might break the seal in the future for whatever reason is inviting aggrevation and possible dissapointment.
jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#22 2007-02-28 00:09:38

radi0gnome
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

This is such an interesting thread because, as a player and resident of Japan, these are questions that would never come up.  Not because the problem might not exist here, but because the Yuu is not used very extensively.

I read someplace else on this forum that the Yuu was used by children a lot in Japan. I guess that's not true, and if not, does that imply that the Yuu is manufactured mostly for Westerners? That would explain the steep markup on a mass produced plastic instrument, maybe it's not nearly as mass produced as I thought.

Jeff Cairns wrote:

The question of glueing a nakastugi is also simply one that never comes up.  It seems that it isn't even considered.  There is a purpose behind the nakastugi and that purpose exists with the purchase.

I've been wondering what the purpose of the two piece flute was. The best answers I read was that it made it easier to work on the flute and sometimes it was used to adjust the length. I guess for the player there might be some advantages in transporting the instrument in two pieces. Are there any other reasons?

Jeff Cairns wrote:

If you have a two piece bamboo shakuhachi that is in every other way a well made instrumtent, but you prefer a one piece, sell it and buy a one piece instrument.

This is a naive question because I don't have a teacher to ask, but why would anyone prefer a one piece? The only reason I can imagine is to avoid the inconvenience of having to take it apart. It seems to me that you could avoid that inconvenience simply by leaving it together. Are you supposed to take the instrument apart when you aren't playing it? If so, why?

Jeff Cairns wrote:

If your otherwise well made bamboo instrument leaks at the nakatsugi, then seek professional repair. I personally think that to glue the nakatsugi only to seal la eak with the idea that you might break the seal in the future for whatever reason is inviting aggrevation and possible dissapointment.

I remember seeing on Perry Yung's blog that the fix for loose nakatsugi was to tighten it with a coat of urashi. I guess there're other reasons it might leak other than it being loose though.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#23 2007-02-28 00:30:55

D.J.

It is odd how the mind works. All my Shakuhachi are one piece and I always wondered why anyone would want a two piece! Smiling.  For me, one piece is perfect. I don’t need to worry about size. Mine all pack well and I have always preferred less moving parts. Less parts, less chance for problems.

HOWEVER, I was just thinking about this. A two piece didgeridoo. I have a tiny car and my longest didge reached from the back of the station wagon to the dash board. Now THAT would be great to have a two piece!

D.J.

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

#24 2007-02-28 01:24:24

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I read someplace else on this forum that the Yuu was used by children a lot in Japan. I guess that's not true, and if not, does that imply that the Yuu is manufactured mostly for Westerners? That would explain the steep markup on a mass produced plastic instrument, maybe it's not nearly as mass produced as I thought.

The only reason the Yuu might be the instrument of choice for children is its price and the fact that it's less easy to break, however I have rarely come across any child shakuhachi learners.  There are several problems for a child to begin learning the shakuhachi as you can imagine ie. time investment, size, difficulty to name just a few.  I recall a few years ago at a Chikuyusha grand concert on the National Theater stage in Tokyo, Kawase Junsuke III's grandson playing with grandpa as a duet.  I'm not sure what the grandson was playing, but from where I sat, it looked shakuhachi like, though it was quite short.

radi0gnome wrote:

I've been wondering what the purpose of the two piece flute was. The best answers I read was that it made it easier to work on the flute and sometimes it was used to adjust the length. I guess for the player there might be some advantages in transporting the instrument in two pieces. Are there any other reasons?

You've pretty much got it.

radi0gnome wrote:

This is a naive question because I don't have a teacher to ask, but why would anyone prefer a one piece? The only reason I can imagine is to avoid the inconvenience of having to take it apart. It seems to me that you could avoid that inconvenience simply by leaving it together. Are you supposed to take the instrument apart when you aren't playing it? If so, why?

Many jinashi are made in one piece simply because the bore work is less intensive than it's cousin the jiari.

jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#25 2007-02-28 03:19:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

D.J. wrote:

It is odd how the mind works. All my Shakuhachi are one piece and I always wondered why anyone would want a two piece! Smiling.  For me, one piece is perfect. I don’t need to worry about size. Mine all pack well and I have always preferred less moving parts. Less parts, less chance for problems.

D.J.

Well said! Totally agree.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Is there a reason not to glue the Shakuhachi Yuu together?

Board footer