Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-03 20:57:20

BrianP
Website

Blowing Zen questions

I just received my copy of Blowing Zen by Carl Abbott today. Has anyone here had a problem deciphering the musical notation in the book?  It appears that learning to read the music is going to be very time consuming.  Does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks on learning it faster?  At least it will give me something to work on yikes)

Thanks!

BrianP

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#2 2006-11-03 21:16:36

amokrun

Re: Blowing Zen questions

BrianP wrote:

I just received my copy of Blowing Zen by Carl Abbott today. Has anyone here had a problem deciphering the musical notation in the book?  It appears that learning to read the music is going to be very time consuming.  Does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks on learning it faster?  At least it will give me something to work on yikes)

First of all, I'm not a pro, so you'll have to excuse me for writing on this forum.

That said, I'm quite familiar with that book, since it also served as my first (and so far only) reference book. It's a good one, but there are some gotchas that I learned the hard way. I was actually going to write a review about it, which I should get done any day now.

The notation in the book is pretty standard. Believe me, it gets much worse than that. Once you learn the symbols, reading the notation isn't that hard. I occasionally scare people by showing them a page or two, but truth to be told, it's much easier to read that kind of notation than it is to read the classical western notation. At least for me it was. Few months and you don't even have to think about it anymore.

There is one thing I would like to warn you about. Since your copy no doubt came with the CD like mine did, there are some really odd things there. For example, listen to Sakura, Kojo no Tsuki or similar song. You'll most likely notice that certain notes (most notably Tsu Meri in Kan) are really strange. It doesn't take a master to spot that, since anyone I've played the record to tells me that the pitch is way off. I'm not sure what the case is here, but I figured that I would mention it so you don't need to do the detective work on this one.

Apart from the fingering chart in the book, I recommend reading few others as well. The one in the book is somewhat limited as far as I can tell. Check the technique forum, there should be a post by me with several links to charts that you may find useful.

I could go on and on, but to spare the people on these forums, I'll stop here. If you feel that you need help with the book (or anything else for that matter), drop me an e-mail so we can talk about it without filling up the boards. Like said, I'm not an expert but I have a good idea of what you are dealing with. Chances are that one beginner can relate to the situation quite well.

#3 2006-11-03 23:42:37

dstone
Website

BrianP wrote:

It appears that learning to read the music is going to be very time consuming.  Does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks on learning it faster?

Brian, take my suggestions with a grain of salt also, as I've only played for two years...
1) find a teacher ($, but worth it)
2) The Annals of the ISS, Volume 1 & Volume 2 ($, but an entertaining and very educational treasure chest)
3) various online resources (free and helpful, especially after some of #1)

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2006-11-04 11:01:10

Seth

Music notation in Blowing Zen.

Btw, I think this is a great first book for shaku enthusiasts.  It is the book I read before I had a teacher and it was a great introduction.

BUT

There is actually music notation for two different types of music in the book: one for standard Japanese folk songs and some western tunes - and another system for honkyoku.

The notation for the Japanese folk songs is actually quite easy to learn.  If you focus only on the first few folk songs you will pick it up in a couple of hours tops. I am not saying you will play the songs well in two hours, but you should be able to understand the system of music notation.

The notation for the honkyoku, however, is really very hard to grasp. Or I should say that at least for me it was very difficult to understand.  The folk songs are played quite simply - but honkyoku have numerous, some would even argue countless, techniques that accompany the music.  Carl has tried to capture all of these techniques in the notation (not sure if it is his system or a traditional system) and to someone just starting out this is really just too much.  Truth be told- as Darren suggests-  to really learn honkyoku you need a teacher. I can't imagine how someone could learn the these songs without at least a minimal degree of personal live instruction.

I would suggest that for your first six months do not even look at the honkyoku pages - just stick to the folk songs.   This is actually the best part of the book. 
Enjoy!

Last edited by Seth (2006-11-04 11:02:29)

#5 2006-11-04 11:38:47

BrianP
Website

Thanks,  I am looking for a teacher currently in Central FL.  I am still relatively new to this so I got the book based on some recommendations.  I will still continue to look for a teacher but for the time being.  Thanks for all the great advice.

Brian

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

Board footer