Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-06 23:01:35

Vantro

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the Shakuhachi in that I don't even play yet heh.  I learned about the instrument one day during my Kendo practice, and I became interested in it.  Since I also am converting to Buddhism slowly, I'd like to learn about  the instrument, as well as how to play to help me relax physically and spiritually.  Hope I find someplace to take lessons soon. ^^

#2 2006-11-07 04:10:08

Alex

Re: Hello everyone.

Hey Vantro,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, if what you are looking is to relax physically and spiritually the shakuhachi is great; well, any musical instrument for that matter but there seems to be something about blowing this piece of bamboo that is just amazing! The important thing I guess is to don't become obsessed with the goal and focus on every step of the process (something very difficult at the beggining!)

Hope you get those lessons soon!

Salud y suerte

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#3 2006-11-10 11:51:38

nomaD43

Re: Hello everyone.

Welcome to the forum Vantro, Kendo, buddhism (Zen), and shakuhachi are all very compatible disciplines, each one would aid and support the other. As far as lessons, if you post your location, someone may be able to direct you to a teacher in your area.
As Alex mentioned don't take up any of these ventures with an expressed goal, just relish in the moment, if you're like me and don't show any progress in many years, that is okay. I enjoy every moment that I hold, blow and hear shakuhachi - it is not so important for me to get better (right now), it is far more important that I get something out of it. That something is a deep profound peace of mind and spirit.
best wishes on your quest,
Damon

Board footer