Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-15 06:51:34

sab-uk

Any recent experience taking a shakuhachi on an airline?

Hi,  I have the chance to work abroad for a few months and I'd like to take my shakuhachi with me.  I know the airline carry on thing has been discussed before but that was a few month ago and the 'security situation' has since changed.  So a couple of questions: has anyone had any experience of taking a shakuhachi onto an airline as carry on (were there any problems for example) and has anyone ever had problems with customs (NZ say that all wood and plant material 'must be inspected and might need to be fumigated').  I'd hate to lose the instrument.  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

#2 2006-11-15 09:58:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Any recent experience taking a shakuhachi on an airline?

sab-uk wrote:

Hi,  I have the chance to work abroad for a few months and I'd like to take my shakuhachi with me.  I know the airline carry on thing has been discussed before but that was a few month ago and the 'security situation' has since changed.  So a couple of questions: has anyone had any experience of taking a shakuhachi onto an airline as carry on (were there any problems for example) and has anyone ever had problems with customs (NZ say that all wood and plant material 'must be inspected and might need to be fumigated').  I'd hate to lose the instrument.  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

I carry them on frequently and have only had a problem twice, in which case I had to check them in. If you have a two piece 1.8, that's pretty small. I had problems with massive one piece 3.0's etc. and because I had a lot of them. I discussed the situation regarding "bamboo material" with Riley Lee vis a vis Oz and NZ. He said not to declare and if they find it and say anything tell them it's not a bamboo item, it's a musical instrument like a Stradivarius is not a "wood item". Then ask them if they make everybody declare their guitars and violins. Last time I did not declare coming into OZ, but the time before that I did and they just said, "Oh these are bamboo flutes, we've seen this before, no worries." This customs stuff is silly.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-11-15 10:17:08

Harry
Website

Don't know about the shakuhachi, but my 'Irish' flute would benifit from a good fumigation.

Regards,
H.

"As God once said, and I think rightly..." (Margaret Thatcher)

#4 2006-11-15 13:13:37

mrosenlof

I've carried wooden flutes many times, and shakuhachi several times also, most recently in mid October.  I've never had a problem.  Shakuhachi are 1.8, and the wood flutes are no larger.  I can certainly see large shakuhachi being viewed like clubs.  Baseball bats and hockey sticks are also prohibited as carry on.

I took a wood flute to Australia last winter.  I did declare it as a wood item.  For other reasons, we got selected for a full bag search.  When they found the flute and some wooden quilt hanging clippies, the inspector said "you're supposed to declare all wood items".  We were able to point at the 'yes' on our landing forms.  Countries vary, but Oz is one of the fussiest (for good reason!  NZ too), and what they're really after is green wood - plants that could grow again, or harbor insects - not finished goods.  I'll admit that a wood flute looks more like seasoned finished goods than many shakuhachi.

Mike Rosenlof

#5 2006-11-15 14:19:08

dstone
Website

I've flown with a baseball-bat sized hocchiku next to me half a dozen times but never in the USA, fortunately.  "It's a valuable, traditional Japanese flute -- very sensitive to temperature and humidity."  Haven't had to check it as luggage so far, but I chalk that up to nothing more than luck.  It has a padded case and I keep some sheet music wrapped around it for extra legitimacy and I'm happy to play a short ditty if that appeases them also.  Airports could be nice acoustic spaces -- too bad you don't hear more honkyoku in them!

In the USA, this sounds helpful.  (I've carried it but never used it.)
http://www.indie-music.com/downloads/AFM_carryon.pdf

But the TSA policy doesn't sound as promising...
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ … _1235.shtm

Funny security story...  Had to enter the USA to attend the Kakizakai, Furuya, Matama workshop in Seattle last weekend.  (Great workshop and met some great people.)  Had two flutes with me.  I keep the 3.2 in a custom fit camo bag, so it looks good and suspicious.  Customs agent asks me what's up with the gear.  I tell her "flutes".  She says, "you play flute?"   "Yes."   Then she goes off with a flurry of flute terminology and makers and details that were absolutely foreign to me.  She's either enthusiastic or testing me.  I pause, confused, gears turning.  She's starting to get suspicious.  I realize she must be talking about western flutes.  I say "these are Japanese bamboo flutes".  She laughs and flags me through.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2006-11-15 14:33:58)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2006-11-16 03:28:22

caffeind

In the last few months Ive carried two flutes in hand luggage, no problems at all. India, Thailand, London, Italy, and Japan. I was most concerned about going to England but it was all ok.

I cant remember which airport it was at, but they were being particularly strict about carry on, saying that we couldnt take any carry on except what was necessary, such as passports and travel documents, etc. Somehow I still managed to take my 40 litre pack and a smaller backpack.

#7 2006-11-16 10:08:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi,
I've always carried my flutes on board and have never had a problem.  On my last trip back from Japan in 2005, I carried 16 old 1.8s I collected in a back pack. Nobody asked any questions.
I always bow to the guards before I go through. Maybe that helps.
Things are probably different now.
Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2006-11-16 13:52:28

Larry

I just returned from Boston today and had no problems taking my shakuhachi.  I got some funny looks as it went thru the x-ray, and I had to take it out and show them it wasn't a weapon or a bomb or whatever.  I had more problems with the metal music stand in my bag than I did with the shakuhachi.

#9 2006-11-17 03:09:11

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I only had a problem once, when visiting Australia four years ago.  I didn't declare my shakuhachi as I'd heard the fumigation horror story.  Two of my flutes were two piece flutes and were in my daypack so there was no problem, but my 2.1 is a one piece and I was carrying it in a plastic tube.  At customs they asked me what was in the tube and I took out the flute; then they asked why I didn't declare it as a plant...I guess I shouldn't have told them it was a bamboo flute; they said they'd have to put my name down on a list of customs offenders...  I've never had any trouble in the U.S. or in the European countries I've visited.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2006-11-17 03:11:04)

#10 2006-11-19 11:00:56

sab-uk

Thanks to everyone for the replies.  Sounds like it ought to be ok.

#11 2006-11-22 11:42:03

rob+kat

On a similar note, has anyone experienced trouble transporting ivory utaguchi inlay across international bounderies?

Board footer