Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-13 08:36:38

bluespiderweb

Inline or Offset holes on long flutes?

I just received a 2.4 Earth Shakuhachi from Perry Yung, and it is a very nice flute.  I'm getting used to it, since I am a beginner, and never played anything longer than a 1.8 before (and only briefly). 

What seems to be one problem, is getting used to offset holes, especially since I have a good hand spread, and think I would be fine with inline holes.  I've been playing Low Irish whistles, and flute, and have come to learn to play without using my fingertips for covering the holes, which they refer to as "piper's grip", a technique used also on bagpipes.

Has anyone else found the inline holes to be more comfortable on some of the longer flutes?

I know you can get used to anything, pretty much, if given time with it, but it does seem to me to cause more hand stress and muscle fatigue (for me) than if the holes were not offset.  On the 2.4 it is an easy reach for me.  Maybe something with quite a bit more spread would be worth offsetting the holes, at least for my hands.  And, I know this is an individual thing-not everyone is built the same, or has the same hand mechanics.

Anyone else have any similar experience with this?

Be well,  Barry

#2 2005-11-13 10:10:10

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Inline or Offset holes on long flutes?

Barry,

My 2.5 cents:

Bearing in mind that I can't speak to your specific situation, it's been my experience, in my own playing and in observing others', that a 2.4 is usually the 'limit' in length where holes are offset--e.g. most 2.4 flutes have offset holes, most shorter flutes have inline holes.

This is not carved in stone, of course; I have a 2.1 by Perry that has offset holes, since he often offsets holes if it 'feels right' to him, and the flute was already finished before I purchased it from him. 

I've seen very few 2.4's with inline holes. Regarding your comment about playing low Irish whistles (using the piper's grip): This is another individual thing, but 2.4 shakuhachi are rarely, if ever, played using this grip, but with the fingertips--at least for those with 'average' sized hands. If you are trying to play your 2.4 using the piper's grip, perhaps this is part of your difficulty. Try it using your fingertips instead, and see if that helps.

Generally, only very long flutes (2.7 and longer, say) are played using the piper's grip.

Hope this helps,
eB

Last edited by edosan (2005-11-13 10:12:17)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2005-11-13 10:48:11

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I play shakuhachi with inline hole configuration up to about 3.0 but I have big hands. I didn't know that it was called "pipers grip" but I use that to some extent on all shakuhachi, even the short ones. I also finger with the fourth finger of the left hand for the third hole on shakuhachi longer than 2.4 or so, depending on the flute. That takes a lot of strain off the wrist. I think people should use whatever fingering and hole configuration works for them. But keep in mind when playing long flutes for the first time. They are different than 1.8 and take some getting used to. Don't make final decisions regarding fingering or inline/offset holes until you have spend some time with longer flutes.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2005-11-13 11:11:25

bluespiderweb

Thanks, edosan, for your reply.  I'm trying that now.  I think my upper hand is more comfortable like this, using my fingertips, which is close to standard grip on a transverse flute, but my lower hand's index finger still likes to cover the hole with the second fleshy area of my finger.  I can play with my right index fingertip, but it's not as comfortable, at least yet.

I will keep working with it, and see how it comes along.  Thanks eB!

Be well,  Barry

#5 2005-11-13 11:35:03

bluespiderweb

And, thanks also, Tairaku.  Yes, it's a good point not to rush any decision about what is best until you try it for a while, I agree.  It seems though that with the offset holes on my 2.4, that it is easier (and more comfortable) to use the fingertips on the left hand.

But, I can see if the holes were inline, it would be as easy or probably easier-at least for me-to use the piper's grip, even with the added back hole (unlike a Low whistle) of the Shakuhachi.

Be well,  Barry

#6 2005-11-30 10:58:11

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

It is intereting this question about when to offset the holes. I feel personally (and only personally) that the holes are too quickly offset. I am a woman with surely not the smallest hands in the world. Well, I am 160 cm tall (I think it is slightly less than 5.3 feet) and my pretty fat 2.9 ji-nashi shakuhachi has holes in line. And I am perfectly fine with this configuration. I have never had (knock on wood) problems with my hands so far. I certainly for some reason like inline holes until it really becomes physically impossible. The first length I have with offset holes is a 3.05.
But good luck! Whether the hols are inline or offset, it always takes a while to get used to a new length!

Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#7 2005-11-30 11:59:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kikuday wrote:

It is intereting this question about when to offset the holes. I feel personally (and only personally) that the holes are too quickly offset. I am a woman with surely not the smallest hands in the world. Well, I am 160 cm tall (I think it is slightly less than 5.3 feet) and my pretty fat 2.9 ji-nashi shakuhachi has holes in line. And I am perfectly fine with this configuration. I have never had (knock on wood) problems with my hands so far. I certainly for some reason like inline holes until it really becomes physically impossible. The first length I have with offset holes is a 3.05.
But good luck! Whether the hols are inline or offset, it always takes a while to get used to a new length!

Kiku

I thought that at least some purists considered that the holes should never be offset. But remember when I was at your house and showed that old Myoan 3.3 to Okuda Sensei? The first thing he said was that it would be a lot better if I offset hole 3. I didn't want to mess with a vintage flute, but that did improve playability. That said, I really don't like to see 2.1, 2.4, 2.5 and so on with offset holes. People should really work with the flutes to see what they can adapt to before making those choices. There is something aesthetically pleasing about inline holes. We are racially conditioned to perceive symmetry as beautiful. I find that offset holes make me play it more like a common instrument than a meditation tool.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2005-12-03 10:38:32

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

I never though about that the offset holes makes a difference in the flute approach. but I always preferred inline... Never really thought about why. So, you may be touching on something there, Brian. I have only 1 flute that is offset, my 3.05. So, I don't really know yet if my approach to these are different than others, say my 2.9 inline flute. I shoudl be getting my 3.2 soon, so I will be really interested in trying to play that with all this discussion in mind.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#9 2005-12-03 14:04:01

kyoreiflutes
Website

That's interesting, Brian, I would've assumed that having offset holes would put you in more of a "zen/wabi-sabi" frame of mind, at least asthetically. But maybe that's just me.

I was thinking that Offset holes seem to be a very personal thing; Brain, for instance, is capable of playing much larger flutes than I, simply because his hands are so much larger than mine. Also, Our finger lengths are different, and not just in that his are longer. For instance...when I had a 2.6, I had made it so that the holes were not only aligned for my smaller hands to be able to play it, but I also had to turn my right hand "down" in order to cover the holes. THis really changed the layout of the holes. I realize that this goes against everything we're taught, but it was confortable, and the only way I could get it to work, so I did it, and I'd do it again; I'm so into the deeper, bigger flutes that I'm willing to throw just a tiny bit of tradition out in order to get that great sound. However, that's for MY flutes, and I'd probably never try to sell one like that to anyone, unless they thought it'd work for them.

It just seems to me that offset v inline is a matter of choice, at least when talking about longer flutes.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2005-12-03 19:06:56

edosan
Edomologist

When Perry Yung was in Japan a year or so ago, studying with Kinya Sogawa (and anyone else he could get his hands on...), he made me a wonderful jinashi 2.9 out of a beautiful culm of madake hand-picked from Mejiro (a shakuhachi supply, in Tokyo, I believe). I had a great opportunity there, even though he was thousands of miles away, to get the hole placement just as I needed: I bought an alder dowel that was the same circumference as the culm, cut a fake utaguchi in one end, and Perry sent me the measurements for the hole placements, which I marked on the dowel (just using straight lines around the dowel where each hole would be located).

I also drew a centerline down the 'front' side of the dowel for a reference line. Then I 'played' the thing, marking the possible hole locations that worked best for me using 10mm circular stickies. After a week or so of experimenting with this setup, I was able to send Perry a set of accurate measurements for offsetting the hole centers (as well as some pics of the dowel) for him to use as starting points. By angling one or two of the holes, he was able to get the desired placement right on the money.

The 2.9 is still a 'handful', but it's a great one.

Best regards,
eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2005-12-06 04:06:39

John Roff

To those who play long flutes with inline holes...

I have just made a 2.9. It's 85 cm long, and I tried to keep the holes in a straight line, as per this ongoing conversation topic. But if I put hole number 3 in the straight line, then my thumb rests on the thumb hole at a sideways angle; i.e. the pad of my thumb doesn't cover the hole, the thumb knuckle does, and doesn't cover it properly. So I had to put hole 3 about 15mm to the right.

My question is, 'how do you position your thumb on a long flute with inline holes.' A picture of this would be very helpful. Kiku and Brian in particular, since you prefer playing like this, maybe you could comment.

Thanks

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#12 2005-12-07 09:21:47

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi John,

My question is, 'how do you position your thumb on a long flute with inline holes.' A picture of this would be very helpful. Kiku and Brian in particular, since you prefer playing like this, maybe you could comment.

I used to put the thumb hole directly on the center line in back on all my choukan until I played Akikazu Nakamura's choukan. It could've been a 3.0 or 3.2, or something like that. I was taking a lesson with him one day and I wanted his opinion on a long flute I was making for someone in Canada. He played for a while and then he pulled out his flute. He said the finger holes should be like this one (he meant for him). I noticed that both Chi and Ri were not only off-set but moved for tuning or ease of fingering. Then when I proceeded to play it, I noticed that the thumb hole was off to the left side (left handed). This was completely new to me. But, this position allowed me to play with the ring finger on Chi, which I rarely do on choukan because of the added stress at the wrist ( when the arms are extended for choukan, the wrists are forced into greater angles and stress unless alternate hand positions are used). I asked if he can play for very long like this, he said just long enough for practice and performance of one piece.  As a result, I sometimes off-set the thumb hole on very long choukan.

I make the decision based on the piece of bamboo and as much information I can get from who the player will be. Best of luck with your flutes. Can't wait to play one!
Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#13 2005-12-19 15:24:55

bluespiderweb

I have been getting used to the offset finger position on Perry's flute, and although I think overall I would prefer to have them inline, I can play this 2.4 well enough for now.  Although, I don't tend to play for long periods of time, which might help relieve any strain felt while playing. 

One thing that always helps me in playing any flute, is to remind myself to relax, and not grip the flute tightly. 

I have found that as Perry mentioned above, that the offset thumb hole, to the left is quite helpful.  I would think it would be useful on any flute whether inline holes or offset are used.

Of course, individuals differ, and I am low on experience on the Shakuhachi, so take it for what that is worth!

Great joy in playing one, and that is for sure!

Be well,  Barry

#14 2005-12-21 01:23:00

jumbuk

I too have just recently bought one of Perry's flutes, a 2.6 Jinashi.  It has offset holes, and I found the photos on Perry's site really useful to get the fingering natural.

One thing I found is that it is important to keep the backs of both hands curving naturally.  If you finger too close to the tips, then you will create a backwards kink at the wrists, that can be quite painful (and possibly dangerous).  So, make sure your elbows are not sticking out sideways, place your hands naturally onthe flute so the backs curve smoothly, and see where your fingers land.  I found the best positions with the "bottom" fingers of each hand covering their holes near the tip of the finger, and the other fingers covering the holes with the fleshy part of the second joints.  The natural position for one of my fingers was actually right on the joint, so I rotated the hand a little further to get past the joint.

I have fairly long fingers.  When I started playing Irish flute, I couldn't use the tips of my right fingers because then I couldn't reach the flute with my little finger to provide stability and support.  So I ended up using a "piper's grip" for the right hand.  This helped me when it came to working out a shakuhachi grip.

Also, I have found it pretty important to keep the shakuhachi up at around a 45 degree angle.  After a long practice session, you can tire, and you may not realise it until you start having embouchure problems.  Just tilting the flute back up to 45 degrees seems to help me get the embouchure right.

These long flutes certainly help develop breath control and capacity.  After just a few weeks with the 2.6, I am really enjoying the feel of maintaining that diaphragm pressure for as long as I can.  After a good practice session, I can feel the tone developing in my diaphragm muscles, and it is paying off in tone quality with my other flutes.

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#15 2005-12-23 03:59:44

bluespiderweb

Thanks, Jumbuk, you've given me some good things to try, from your observations.  I will try them out the next time I play.  I still play some Irish flute too, and know what you mean-I use standard grip on top and piper's on the bottom also.

I will go back to Perry's website to look again at the pictures.  But, hand size, and arm length also differ between people-Perry has a shorter stretch than I, so his way may not work for people with a longer reach as well.  I have gotten fairly comfortable with it, however.  But, ideally, I would like to try a longer flute with inline holes, just to see how it works physically for me.  Diameter of the flute, and length between holes also will affect how you need to approach this, but I imagine most are just variations on the techniques for ease of play.  As you say, the angle also is important.

Yes, I also like these long flutes!  And Perry does a great job on them too!

Be well,  Barry

Board footer