Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-26 15:44:28

david

no hole shakuhachi?

i have been reading about shakuhachi with no holes? is this common? do a lot of people have and use these?
i also read something about kinkos' comp, or something like that? i guess it is a piece to be played on a shakuhachi with no holes? how can i find out more about this?
are there any recordings of pieces played on shakuhachi with no holes?

thank you

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#2 2006-11-28 15:38:47

philthefluter
Website

Re: no hole shakuhachi?

There is a piece by Kikusui Kofu in volume II of the annals of the International Shakuhachi Society which is for the 'no-holes shakuhachi'.  It can also be played by just covering up the holes and playing Ro and its harmonics!  I don't believe many people use no-hole shakuhachi but it is certainly a great way to ro-buki! I have several shakuhachi in the early stage of construction still with no holes that I love to blow.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2006-12-01 03:40:24

Bruce Hunter

I play a 42.375 inch (1076+mm) "drone flute" made by Perry Yung. It plays a perfectly centered RO at D3, (the D below middle C). It has provided many hours of breath control, tone color, note shape, meri/kari, and a few other  practices. I have found it to be a valuable tool, with the added bonus that I feel really good when I put it down for the day. (Except that putting _any_flute down the the day doesn't feel all that wonderful.)  8^)

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#4 2006-12-05 00:27:00

jumbuk

A *real* no-hole flute would have no holes - including the one you blow into.  Very zen.

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

Board footer