Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-28 14:02:39

dstone
Website

Two masters, playing nose flutes

If anyone reading this is a serious student or master of the nose flute...   I mean no disrespect...

But this made me smile and giggle a bit...   smile
http://static.flickr.com/112/306396845_414c2a2559.jpg?v=0

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2006-11-29 20:54:57

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Two masters, playing nose flutes

Great shot.  I'm guessing the photo may be from some event in the Hawaiian islands, as there is a nose flute tradition there (though conceivably it could be Tahiti or somewhere).  Otherwise why would these two shakuhachi players be playing nose flutes together?  One of the professors at my university brought me back a nose flute from Hawaii island several years back; my kids always get disgusted looks on their faces when I play it and don't understand why the nose flute was used in courtship...

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2006-11-29 20:56:01)

#3 2006-11-29 22:03:39

PSTL

"Associated with this is the belief that there is a pure pathway to the soul through the nose, based on the idea of one's breath being the essence of one's soul."

Very interesting! Check out this site for details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_flute

cool

#4 2006-11-30 00:13:55

rpowers

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

I'm guessing the photo may be from some event in the Hawaiian islands, as there is a nose flute tradition there.

Good guess. This was the closing banquet at the Hawai'i Shakuhachi Festival that occurred earlier this month at UH Manoa. Each of the participating Masters received a gift bag which included not only the nose flute, but also a dashboard hula doll.

The festival itself was a great experience, thanks to Riley and Patricia Lee and everyone else who was there. For 31 players from Australia, Japan, Hawai'i, and the North American continent, we had 8 master teachers--quite a rich ratio!

If you ever get the chance to attend one of these events, whether in Hawai'i or closer to home, jump on it. It's great to be with other people who share your obsession, and you'll come home with enough new ideas and experiences to keep you revved up for the rest of the year.

Oh, yeah. One more thing:
Photo credit: Kirsty Beilharz

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

Board footer