Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-12-05 14:59:26

PSTL

Oiling the Shakuhachi

Is it a good idea to apply Polymerized Tung Oil to the Shakuhachi? I'm specifically interested in whether it should be applied to Madake.

I haven't seen any discussion on this and I wonder what the benefit and/or harm would be to applying a coat.

Does it help protect the flute any better from cracking?

Should the bore be done as well?

I have read some articles, but I haven't read where anyone recommends that it be applied.

Please advise. Thank you.

#2 2006-12-05 17:28:43

gmiller

Re: Oiling the Shakuhachi

There is 100% Pure Tung Oil and Tung Oil Finish (like Fromsby's). If you use Tung Oil it should be the 100% Pure type.
Pure Walnut Oil is also highly recommended. Apply only to the outside skin; wipe off excess.
Walnut Oil is available from shakuhachi.com and bowlmakerinc.com
It provides some protection against cracking; your best protection is binding the flute.....

#3 2006-12-06 07:53:42

PSTL

Thank you, George.

Your post fuels more questions.

Why is 100% pure tung oil better than polymerized?

Does it add any additional protection even if the flute has binding?

Can it be applied to binding without harm, such as rattan?

I read that Walnut oil does not provide a vapor barrier, so it probably is not a good choice. Is this true?

My most pressing question: Is it a good idea to apply the proper oil to a Madake Shakuhachi, or just let it be?

I look forward to learning more.

#4 2006-12-06 12:41:32

gmiller

PSTL wrote:

Thank you, George.

Your post fuels more questions.

Why is 100% pure tung oil better than polymerized?

Does it add any additional protection even if the flute has binding?

Can it be applied to binding without harm, such as rattan?

I read that Walnut oil does not provide a vapor barrier, so it probably is not a good choice. Is this true?

My most pressing question: Is it a good idea to apply the proper oil to a Madake Shakuhachi, or just let it be?

I look forward to learning more.

Tung Oil Finish (polymerized) has driers added which are toxic.
Oiling  will not harm the rattan or any other binding and is always a good idea.
The only true vapor barrier is shellac. It is non-toxic, comes in clear or Amber. The Amber inparts a pleasant color. I have used it extensively with good results.
Walnut Oil is still a good choice among the Natural Pure Oils; just apply it more often.
I would not think the species mattered..

#5 2006-12-06 14:08:32

edosan
Edomologist

My two centimes:

Tung oil produces a film, just like varnish, or polyurethane. ALL tung oil is polymerizing, meaning it has chains of hycarbons in it which link together when cured, building a hard surface film that gets thicker with repeated applications. If you just wipe tung oil on, then wipe it off, you'll end up with a thin film after it cures, but it WILL be a film on the surface of your bamboo.

Raw tung oil (pure tung oil) is non-toxic (even though the seeds of the tung tree, from which it comes, are toxic), and it can take days to cure completely. Tung oil is an excellent finish for furniture or similar wood projects. I'd never put it on my shakuhachi, even though I'm sure it'd do no harm. That's just me.

Googling 'tung oil' will get you all the info you'll ever want to know about tung oil (Google is our friend...).

Shellac also builds a film, but can be applied in much thinner coats. It cures pretty quickly, since its solvent is denatured alcohol--quite volatile.

I like walnut oil myself: It moistens and nourishes the wood/bamboo, it's completely edible and easily available in specialty food stores and chains like Whole Foods. You just wipe on a liberal amount , wait 10-15 minutes, and wipe it all off. I also rub in\t in well with my hands. No build up. It does supply some protection, but for me it's mostly an aesthetic consideration--it looks good. I apply it no more often than 3-4 times a year.

The preferred oil in Japan among shakuhach enthusiasts in Camelia oil, but it's not readily available in North America, and it's expensive. Just takes a few drops to treat the flute, though.

Compared to binding, the application of ANY oil to the inside or outside of a shakuhachi has almost no effect on cracking, one way or the other. As George says, binding is your best bet for avoiding cracks. There IS no silever-bullet-in-a-can for crack prevention. Period. Where the flute came from and how you treat it has the most influence on cracking.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2006-12-06 14:45:51

dstone
Website

PSTL,

I've used tung in the bore of two flutes.  Took ages to dry.

I don't necessarily believe this will reduce the likelihood of cracking.  For me, this was an experiment in:
1) tone color -- brighter or louder? subjectively: maybe. measurably: probably not.
2) mold prevention -- no mold. (I've only had this problem on one previous flute though.)
3) aesthetics -- slightly glossier, faint orange hue to the bore now. darkens the end grains at the root.
4) maintenance -- smoother, water resistant bore now -- breath condensation beads up now and it's easier to swab.

If you haven't already found it, read Oiling Bamboo at Nelson Zink's site.  You also mention cracking, so his Crack page is worth reading.  Keep in mind that these are all theories.  At the end of the day, completely bound and oiled (or jiari) flutes can still crack.  Oil your flute if it makes you play it more!

Not sure I'd do it again.  Maybe though.  No strong feelings pro or con.

Before you modify your flute, buy a piece of timber or decorator bamboo for a few bucks, and try an experiment with oils or shellacs just to see if you like the effort, drying time, and final look of it.

-Darren.

P.S. - I reply too eagerly in some forums.  Just noticed this is the "Ask the Pro" forum and I am not a pro.  Take above with a grain of salt.

Last edited by dstone (2006-12-06 14:50:54)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2006-12-06 22:52:36

PSTL

I discovered some old postings on my oil question. Take a look at this site and scroll down to the various postings.

http://communication.ucsd.edu/shaku/Sha … /date.html

It seems that some oils can go rancid and that skin oil might be too acidic.

I'm beginning to think that it's probably not a good idea to oil a shakuhachi.

Any thoughts?

(Darren, You seem to be a pro with oils. Thanks for the help.)

Last edited by PSTL (2006-12-06 22:59:35)

#8 2006-12-07 08:45:47

edosan
Edomologist

Walnut and Camelia oil do not become rancid.

I've been oiling my flutes (but only infrequently) for over 15 years with no ill effects.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2006-12-08 11:17:40

PSTL

It's really strange to me that there are so many different points of view on whether or not to oil a flute and with what oil.

One would think that there would be a definitive answer, considering that the instrument has been around since the days of ancient Egypt, but nooooooo!

Oh well!

eB,
If you've been doing it for 15 years and your happy, then it's good enough for me. I use Walnut oil in my cooking, so that simplifies the process.

Thank you.

#10 2006-12-08 21:29:07

edosan
Edomologist

As with almost all things shakuhachi, less is usually more...

...and then again: With shakuhachi, there are few definitive answers.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#11 2006-12-11 15:36:09

JeffMartindale
Website

I personally oil my shakuhachi only on the exterior with Walnut Oil with good success. I have also used Clapham's Beeswax salad bowl finish. While some cringe at this idea, I have found that the beewax goes on very thin and has been safe for my flutes. I am not recommending this as good or bad, just what I do. I let it sit for a few minutes; then wipe off. It has actually moisturized my flutes and closed up small cracks common around the root ends. Best of all, the beewwax is non-toxic and even edible. Warning, keep the flute away from hungry dogs after application of beeswax :+) (Just kidding, although might be good advice).  I only need to oil a few times a year.   I store my flutes in a sealed plastic bag with cello size dampit inserted at the root end. How you take care of a shakuhachi will vary greatly by player, but thought I would insert my method for the past few years.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#12 2006-12-11 17:11:01

costademaria
Website

hi, i think the conversation in a way misses the most important point. is a water barrier needed for the bamboo or a vapor barrier.they are two very different things. many oils make a water barrier but not a vapor one. i live in a seaside town. i go to the marine shop and the only oil which they sell for the wooden parts of the yachts is polymerized tung oil. read on the box and it says-3 layers and is salt resistent and water resistent. eigth layers and is forever lasting./with the respective drying times in between of course/.  the tung oil is also dent proof. this is the strongest natural protection and a water vapor barrier. if you are more brave like me  the strongest artificial barrier is  the 2 component poliurethane finish for marine implications which has up to 7 different types of bases regarding fungus,saltwater and other damages posible. i use both of the options for my flutes and have seen that the native amerikan flutemakers also adopted this two ways of finishing a wooden piece. just dont put salad oil :-)

Last edited by costademaria (2006-12-12 08:52:11)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#13 2006-12-17 17:53:30

edosan
Edomologist

Camelia Oil Source:

Pure Camelia oil can be had from a seller on eBay HERE

The seller seems reputable, and has a high rating. The cost is very reasonable for this stuff: US4.75+5.55 shpg for 8 oz. ($10.30) That quantity should last for years, as Camelia oil does not go rancid, and only a small quantity is needed, infrequently, for a shakuhachi. Japanese carpenters and wood workers have used it on their metal tools to prevent corrosion for centuries.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#14 2006-12-18 03:08:36

costademaria
Website

hi, i found a verry interesting book about wood colouring and finishes. it is online. take a look http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17935/17 … 7935-h.htm  and there are some recipes for musical instruments. all natural of course, or i wouldnt bother you

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#15 2006-12-19 09:39:06

bluespiderweb

Hey, thank you Ed, for the link to the Camelia oil!  I found that there were many products that this person was selling that I was interested in, for skin care, since I have Psoriasis.

The prices are very reasonable, and she (Katie) says she always combines shipping on Ebay or her website (most all are sold from Ebay), and to wait for an invoice if you do order multiple items.  And, Katie is very responsive to questions, and even had my order packed up before I even paid for it!  Here's her website if anyone is interested besides the Ebay link Ed gave above:

http://heavenlybodiesandbath.com/index.htm

She responded right away to my questions, but she did say she has 3 other jobs and gets pretty busy...!!!

Oh, in her description of the product (Camelia Oil) she does say it has a 2 year shelf life.  So, it may not go rancid, but you might want to use some of it on your skin so it doesn't stay around too long.

Thanks again Ed!

Be well,  Barry

#16 2006-12-19 20:58:16

edosan
Edomologist

I also ordered some Camelia oil from Katie, who does indeed seem to be on the ball.

For the record, I've had some Camelia oil for about 6 years now, and it's still in very good shape.

Thanks for the link.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer