Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-12-21 17:41:19

Owloon
Website

Playing in time?

I know that the end of each shakuhachi's life is the great zen of a cracked soundlessness, but....

In the land of wood flutes, like Irish ones, flutes are very carefully "played in" (like 10 mins morning and evening each day for the first week, for example, though practices vary).  This is to prevent cracking and warping of the flute from moisture - the wood is allowed to slowly absorb the moisture throughout the wood, through the period of weeks,  reducing the tension from inside to out.  One ensures that a flute doesn't dry out too quickly, and if it hasn't been played in awhile, ya' play it in again, just like the first time.  Recorder makers say that there are more repairs around exam time because students are playing more than the instrument is used to.

I haven't found any info on such a treatment of shakuhachi.  Have I missed it, or is this just not the done thing?  Maybe for jinaishi shakuhachi?

And I'm wondering, if anyone cares to speculate, if it's not done, is it something about the bamboo itself, or maybe just because the bamboo is thicker than the walls of, say, an Irish flute.  I'm guessing that with the "grain" of bamboo running so straight, warping wouldn't be the same issue.   Maybe people who have worked with thinner walled bamboo flutes would have a particular understanding of the reasons.

Ever so curious,
Kim.

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

Board footer