Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-28 23:39:44

yankee1919

WHERE DID YOU PLAY/PRACTICE WITH YOUR SHAKUHACHI?

I work at a university in the evenings and most recently took my shakuhachi to my office and begin to practice my breathing and note holding patterns.
There are several classrooms that i have to check for security reasons and brought along the flute, if anything it would look to someone as a baton. Not to think I can ever use it to "knock" someone over the head with it. I have played in several rooms and get different affects depending what items(soft furniture,metal tables,etc) you can really get a feed back from the furniture.
so where do you practice/play.

#2 2008-01-29 00:15:41

Zakarius

Re: WHERE DID YOU PLAY/PRACTICE WITH YOUR SHAKUHACHI?

I teach English as a second language and have long (usually 3-hour) breaks in the afternoon between classes. Instead of heading home to be constantly bothered by my cat and dog, I usually practice there at my school. I have also found that various rooms have their own atmosphere. I generally play in the largest room which seems a bit 'dead' -- my thinking is that if I can get the flute to sound good there, I can get it to sound good anywhere.

At home, I have a rooftop garden & man-made waterfall where I often practice in the morning. The weather here in Taiwan is unbearably hot 9 months of the year, however, and I usually can't handle the heat. Playing in the wind is another challenging factor which I've had little progress overcoming.

Finally, I often take a flute when I go hiking... even though I'm in good shape, the thinner air and exercise make for difficult breathing -- the notes really seem to drift away after a few minutes of playing sad

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#3 2008-01-29 19:00:02

jamesnyman

Besides playing at home, I also practice in the lobby/stairwell at my wife's work while waiting for her to get off and on the playground at the elementary school on my lunch breaks.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#4 2008-01-29 19:09:48

baian

weather permitting i play on the bench here

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … n%26sa%3DG

#5 2008-01-29 20:29:23

yankee1919

cool guys thanks for your input, bain is that photo in a cementary?cool!

#6 2008-01-29 20:44:17

baian

actually, the temple pavilion is the facade of the gatehouse of a 140,000,000 gallon reservoir at the top of a high high hill in the city

http://rocwiki.org/Cobbs_Hill_Park

#7 2008-01-29 21:55:30

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

I usually play in the language lab at university during the lunch break and then in the evenings in a small tatami mat room at home.   Sometimes I carry a shakuhachi up to a a small mountain near the university on my two or three time a week walks up up there and play it up on the top, looking out over a patchwork of narrow roads and rice fields, a river, low hills covered in trees and bamboo, and the ocean in the distance.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2008-01-29 22:00:15)

#8 2008-01-30 03:10:31

Josh
PhD
Website

Baian,
  Maybe they wouldn't let you take pictures of that because it looks like it's the gate to HELL or something!! Just kidding, but when I first saw that pic I thought it had a very deep atmosphere about it, almost surreal.  Good luck playing there.   I'm from Buffalo and have been to Rochester but have never seen that area.  In Buffalo, playing near the historical museum, under the bridge there, and the Japanese garden there is a nice place to play.
In Nara I often play at home in out tatami room. Like Dan, I like to either hike or mountain bike around the nearby mountains and look out over Nara and the other mountains when I play. (I've got some pics of me playing on some hiking trips and other places on my MS site if anyone wants to see)  I love the feeling of playing in a bamboo grove, but the bugs eat you alive so there are only a few good times a year when it's actually comfortable to play there.

Last edited by Josh (2008-01-30 04:14:53)

#9 2008-01-30 03:30:36

Yu-Jin

I usually play daily after work in my office when everybody's gone. Besides, I play here:
In the park http://www.ljplus.ru/img/k/o/komuso_sd/ … 2006-3.jpg

At the bay http://www.ljplus.ru/img/k/o/komuso_sd/IMG_0125.JPG

By the ocean http://www.ljplus.ru/img4/k/o/komuso_sd/Alone.JPG

By the lake http://www.ljplus.ru/img/k/o/komuso_sd/IMG_0063.JPG or on the top of the mountain
or in my "study" at another lake http://www.ljplus.ru/img3/k/o/komuso_sd/IMG_0662.JPG  smile)

Or anywhere I go, like here http://www.ljplus.ru/img/k/o/komuso_sd/IMG_1229.JPG

Last edited by Yu-Jin (2008-01-30 03:33:37)

#10 2010-08-04 13:31:42

MikeL

I like to play outside, but have real "stage fright" as far as anyone watching or hearing me.

So I try to find more remote places. Somewhere nice, but off the beaten path. Almost always with
my dog. Lately along a local river. Sometimes in my canoe too. If I climb any minor mountains I always
bring a flute.

But apparently the sound of the shakuhachi really travels, depending on lots of factors
I'm sure, but it really amazes me. I've been "tracked down" twice now, people following the sound
right to me and obviously many more people must hear me than I realize. These are spots you'd
have to go to some effort to get to.

A few years ago I had found a nice spot and was having a great time when a local newspaper photographer
followed the sound and not only did I not avoid an audience I ended up on their web site at least, not
sure about the print version. smile

Recently there was a fairly dense fog along the river, so I grabbed my 2.4 and headed out with the dog.
Found a nice spot and as far as I could tell there were no observers.
Today I went back to the same spot. I had actually stopped playing but was approached by a woman.
Turned out it was a friend who I had lost touch with. She asked "was that you" playing the flute?
She had heard me from quite a distance in the fog the last time. She went home and was telling her husband
about some mysterious flute music she had heard on her walk. So today when she heard it she tracked
me down.

I've met a number of homeless people living in tents too, when seeking out new spots.

- Mike

Last edited by MikeL (2010-08-04 18:49:56)

#11 2010-08-04 14:10:27

Dun Romin

smile Nobody of you plays at home? I do! But for the moment in a lovely empty-to-be-decorated room. Besides that, whenever I want, I can get the keys of a small church with inspiring accoustics.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#12 2010-08-04 17:43:49

Taldaran

During my work week I practice on my breaks at the japanese garden/tea house at the college where I work. I also play for the people gathered to attend the chanoyu ceremonies hosted by the college.

I play just about anywhere I can get away with it...

Last edited by Taldaran (2010-08-04 17:45:47)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#13 2010-08-05 06:48:36

purehappiness

A semi finished area in my basement gives me good feedbsack and sound. I have a cushion and look out at my backyard thru a slider. Its very relaxing.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#14 2010-08-05 11:01:16

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I second the stage fright feeling, good to you MikeL that you still do it!
Do others experience that as well?

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#15 2010-08-06 22:43:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Bas

These days, I only get nervous when I play during Ralph Samuelson's workshops smile

I just had a wonderful family trip where I played shakuhachi everywhere I went with my kids. From noisy playgrounds to a quiet coi pond, everyone I encounter seemed very receptive to the sound.

Coi Pond Shakuhachi

One of my favorite moments was with Ken at the Riptide wink

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#16 2010-08-06 22:58:00

radi0gnome
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

I avoid playing songs I know I'm likely to bomb on when I play in a public place. That's not quite stage-fright but it seems related.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#17 2010-08-07 04:24:01

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

The koi pond scene is nice Perry, little reverb and nice atmosphere.
I guess with playing in public it is just a matter of doing it

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#18 2010-08-07 07:04:56

Danny
Website

I love playing in the subway pedestrian tunnels around Sydney - amazing acoustics and good responses from people. I don't really get too nervous playing in there, although my hands always tingle and feel strange afterward - maybe I suppress the nerves. I also recently discovered a nice quiet part of the waterfront at Darling Harbour with not much wind. For a while I was taking my flute down to the rocky point at the end of the beach, but there's just too much sound with the waves and the wind so I don't go there now. Playing at home is good too - I have wooden floor boards and a high ceiling.

I get the most nervous with my teacher.. my last lesson was terrible I could barely make a sound.

Yungflutes wrote:

I just had a wonderful family trip where I played shakuhachi everywhere I went with my kids. From noisy playgrounds to a quiet coi pond, everyone I encounter seemed very receptive to the sound.

Coi Pond Shakuhachi

Perry that clip is great! It sounds like someone is singing the song with you?

P.S. The duck is hilarious.

Last edited by Danny (2010-08-07 07:15:53)

http://dustymoon.org/

Follow the ancient path / deep into mountains / and go further still..

#19 2010-08-07 11:00:12

Moran from Planet X
Website

Danny wrote:

I get the most nervous with my teacher.. my last lesson was terrible I could barely make a sound.

You're certainly not alone. I'm at the rather ripe young age of 54 and I still find myself nervous in lessons.

But ...

Riley Lee once very wisely told me that my "feelings" were fine but that  I needed to reframe how I identified my feelings. "Instead of seeing your self as nervous and disheveled, look at it as simply being excited and happy about the prospect of learning something different and new."

I'll tell you from personal experience that it is a lot easier to deal with feelings of excitement than feelings of nervousness. Remember to BREATHE. And smile. Be happy. You're engaged in one of the rarest experiences in humanity, learning shakuhachi.

No bombs are falling on your head, you have some food in your belly, good, durable clothes on your back and enough change in the bank to afford a lesson. Life is good. Really good. As Mujitsu, our forum host, reminds us, "Each day, an adventure."

The second thing is that you have to learn to relax. It is not easy, as you've discovered. But it looks like you have a few tools at your disposal to help you.

My Meian (Myoan) shakuhachi teacher, Bill Shozan Schultz, tells me relaxation and mindfulness of relaxation is essential in producing a good sound. The bamboo itself is a part of the shakuhachi instrument. The rest is your body. And your sound is the most important thing.

Any tension in your body is going to impede the flow of air into the shakuhachi. An easy and complete flow of air through the body and through the instrument is essential to producing a good sound.

Here's what I'm working on right now:

Being conscious of the developing steady, even and relaxed pressure in my diaphragm to project my air flow even in very soft, quiet passages. While you're trying to make a good sound check out what different parts of your body is doing.

When you find a tense spot that impeding the breathe flow, work at relaxing that area while still keeping your sound strong and continuous.

When you drive a car, while in traffic, you have to be aware of several things at once, steering, excellerating, braking, being aware of what's going on around you and the sounds and feelings of your car.  Is your water pump clunking, your carberator sputtering for lack of fuel or air, your tires feel steady and responsive ... is that a low tire or a flat? All of this goes on when you're driving well.

When you sit and blow RO or scales, scan your body, Are your arms relaxed at your sides? Good, Your back straight,  good; your stomach pliant, but in control, excellent ..... But oh, man, I'm gripping with my right hand like I'm climbing a ladder ... better relax that right hand, perhaps adjust the position of my grip. Correct that and resume scanning.

Geez I feel like I'm cramming my shakuhachi into my chin. Lighten way the heck up on that. The main and most intimate connection to your shakuhachi is your bottom lip. You have to hold you shakuhachi lightly enough to allow your lower lip to actually vibrate.

The more you relax and allow the shakuhachi to project out from your lower lip the higher in pitch and stronger the sound. Play with learning how to keep your lip, firm but relaxed and pliable. You can use that full, relaxed lower lip later when you learn how to make those dark, seemingly elusive dai-meri notes. Keep at it and watch that connection very carefully. Your sound will improve.

Too much information all at once, but I work with those points every day.  Relaxation and sound.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#20 2010-08-07 12:49:04

airin
Website

A very clear and helpful post Chris - thanks!

#21 2010-08-07 13:12:33

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

One of my favorite moments was with Ken at the Riptide wink

True story! 

RIPTIDE!

#22 2010-08-07 14:57:20

Dun Romin

Yungflutes wrote:

Coi Pond Shakuhachi

smile Nice to hear one of your children singing with your playing. He/She knows the piece well.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#23 2010-08-07 15:27:45

Ambi

From the Sublime to the ridiculous.

Mr X - excellent post, all good stuff to remember especially:

"No bombs are falling on your head, you have some food in your belly, good, durable clothes on your back and enough change in the bank to afford a lesson. Life is good."

Thanks

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#24 2010-08-07 21:02:12

Danny
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

You're certainly not alone. I'm at the rather ripe young age of 54 and I still find myself nervous in lessons.

But ...

Riley Lee once very wisely told me that my "feelings" were fine but that  I needed to reframe how I identified my feelings. "Instead of seeing your self as nervous and disheveled, look at it as simply being excited and happy about the prospect of learning something different and new."

And the whole post - really good advice. Thanks smile

http://dustymoon.org/

Follow the ancient path / deep into mountains / and go further still..

#25 2010-08-07 21:14:22

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Danny wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

Coi Pond Shakuhachi

Perry that clip is great! It sounds like someone is singing the song with you?

P.S. The duck is hilarious.

Thanks!
Yes, one of the kids. I'm not sure which one.

Dun Romin wrote:

Nice to hear one of your children singing with your playing. He/She knows the piece well.

I was improvising, but both heard Honkyoku while in the womb and have no trouble hitting the meri notes on pitch. smile

Mujitsu wrote:

True Story!

Ken,Your Cinema verite form really captured the evening!

Chris Moran wrote:

...look at it as simply being excited and happy about the prospect of learning something different and new."

I wish Riley had said this to me the last time I took a lesson from him smile

Just had a four hour Honkyoku workshop with Ralph today. I was definitely more excited than nervous! I played the flute on the subway platform on the way to the workshop and again on the way home. What a world of difference in the sound before and after.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer