You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-11 14:50:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Fukuda Rando Publisher

Greetings,

I have recorded a version of one of Fukuda Rando's pieces. I'm wondering if anybody knows his publisher, in order that I can obtain permission and pay mechanical royalties? Has anybody else been through this process for one of his pieces?

Regards,

Tairaku

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2006-02-11 17:45:26

Veronique Piron
Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Re: Fukuda Rando Publisher

Hi Brian, this is Veronique!
I was just looking to the miscellanous topics, and found your post.
Fukuda Rando music is published by the Kokusai Shakuhachi Kenshukan, the name of Furuya Teruo is mentioned has he is the administrator of it. Should be a good idea to contact Kakizakai Kaoru who speaks good English, easy to catch and fast to answer.
But I don't know about the process itself.
Hope it can help you, Veronique

#3 2006-02-11 18:19:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks Veronique!

#4 2006-02-12 22:46:54

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hi Brian--

To get mechanical licenses on just about anything Japanese it's Jasrac, but if I remember right you can get to them via Harry Fox. Last time I did it it took forever.

#5 2006-02-13 18:56:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nyokai wrote:

Hi Brian--

To get mechanical licenses on just about anything Japanese it's Jasrac, but if I remember right you can get to them via Harry Fox. Last time I did it it took forever.

Thanks Phil. I think once you have contacted the publisher you are covered, whether or not they respond. I remember trying to pay mechanicals to Sun Ra. It was difficult to communicate with him. So we just sent him a check. He cashed it. End of story.

I wish somebody would use all of this wonderful technology to deal with this issue. Publishing is still in the 19th century, not even the 20th.

#6 2006-02-14 18:45:55

nyokai
shihan
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I think once you have contacted the publisher you are covered, whether or not they respond.

I think this may not be the case if it's a new piece that hasn't been performed yet -- then the statutory rates do not necessarily apply, as I understand it, and the publisher has more control. But please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Yes, publishing world IS pretty backwards.

#7 2006-02-14 19:18:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nyokai wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I think once you have contacted the publisher you are covered, whether or not they respond.

I think this may not be the case if it's a new piece that hasn't been performed yet -- then the statutory rates do not necessarily apply, as I understand it, and the publisher has more control. But please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Yes, publishing world IS pretty backwards.

The writer and publisher have the right to first recording of a composition. Once they have recorded it or allowed anybody else to, then the song is fair game and they MUST allow future performers the right to record it.

However you must get permission to change or update the lyrics for someone elses song. For example when Weird Al does parodies he has to get permission to change the lyrics.

Board footer