Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-06 04:31:26

dust

alloy

In an old thread  -  A Steel Shakuhachi?

Vevolis wrote:

Making a steel utaguchi is a mystery (It still is, in any given material) but has anyone experimented with this?

This looks interesting...

alloy xiao F key 8 holes

smile

john.

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#2 2009-03-06 11:27:04

airin
Website

Re: alloy

That looks (and sounds) like a very nice instrument.

#3 2009-03-06 15:07:07

Taldaran

Yeah, I saw them too.

I am going to build one out of a nice piece of green/black bamboo I have set aside that I need to flame roast and cure.

I got into a car accident years ago (bad whiplash) and recently tried transverse flute, and my practicing helped pay for my chiropractors vacation to Italy...That's one of the reasons I love the shakuhachi. It's end blown!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#4 2009-08-30 01:12:55

uosuaq

I bought one of these on eBay recently and received it a couple weeks ago.  I have to say I think it's a great instrument.  The intonation seems to be very good, and the sound is lovely.  I'm sure bamboo sounds even better, but I think of this as the Shakuhachi Yuu of xiaos -- reliable and indestructible, and comparably priced ($100 plus $35 shipping from China to US).  It looks to be a thick-walled steel pipe lathed into a bamboo-like segmented shape, with the usual U-shaped blowing notch and 8 holes.  Compared to the shakuhachi's blowing edge, the U-shaped blowing edge definitely makes pitch bending and degrees of "breathiness" harder, but both are still possible to some extent.  And the 8 holes (between which the series of steps and half steps is unusual and interesting) allow for a lot of interesting melodies to be played fairly easily.  Earlier this evening, in fact, I was playing along with the radio to blues songs in several different keys.  (Not that I don't hope to learn some traditional Chinese melodies, too.)
Based on my experience so far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone willing to spend the money.  I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who's got one.

Board footer