Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-17 11:43:59

purehappiness

My second shakuhachi

Well, I made a second shakuhahci out of some bamboo I was able to find at a store(The nodes are far apart). It is 76.9 CM long and sounds pretty good. I want to see if I can get a deeper tone from it. I was thinking that increasing the top opening would do something. Does anyone know what this will do? I left a lot of the node in place and have been slowly opening the top opening. I don't want to go too far though. Especially, if this is not going to make a difference. This is a nice wide bore flute but it seems to lack any power. I will have to take some pictures later. Any advice?

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2009-03-17 13:16:11

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: My second shakuhachi

purehappiness wrote:

Well, I made a second shakuhahci out of some bamboo I was able to find at a store(The nodes are far apart). It is 76.9 CM long and sounds pretty good. I want to see if I can get a deeper tone from it. I was thinking that increasing the top opening would do something. Does anyone know what this will do? I left a lot of the node in place and have been slowly opening the top opening. I don't want to go too far though. Especially, if this is not going to make a difference. This is a nice wide bore flute but it seems to lack any power. I will have to take some pictures later. Any advice?

Pure,

A small top opening can give the tone more focus and quicker attack. Opening it up widens the tone a bit. Opening the bottom end will raise the fundamental and give the flute slightly more power.

As always, the best thing is to just try things and see what happens. The less attached we are to each flute, the easier it is to make mistakes, experience beautiful disasters and discover new things. As a result, we learn more faster!

Good luck!

Ken

#3 2009-03-17 14:00:49

purehappiness

The piece did cost me a dollar so I am not out much if I mess it up.I completely opened the bottom. it is fun learning what you need to know though.I think I will leave the top alone for now. It is almost all gone and I would like to be able to play it. It is almost 2 inches across I think. I am guessing right now.It was fun hearing the tone change as I opened the center node up. It only has three nodes. One at the top, one at the middle, and one at the end.

Thanks mujitsu

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-03-17 14:04:41)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2009-03-17 14:05:57

purehappiness

The center node is still half there. Would opening this all the way up make a big difference?I can't really reach it so it was a pain opening it that far.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-03-17 14:06:31)

Lieh-tzu

#5 2009-03-17 14:46:32

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

purehappiness wrote:

The center node is still half there. Would opening this all the way up make a big difference?I can't really reach it so it was a pain opening it that far.

Grinding out the center node will raise the pitch of the fundamental and can give the tone more power. Or not! yikes

#6 2009-03-17 15:08:07

purehappiness

You are starting to sound like a zen master.smile

Lieh-tzu

#7 2009-03-17 15:14:04

purehappiness

Its true. Experience is the best teacher.Its time to close my eyes and ruin a $1 piece of bamboo.?

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-03-17 16:28:11

lossafunk

Ive been doing some experimenting myself. I've been making my ikigaeshi in a different shaku so as to make the top opening more of an oval. this makes my wide bore flutes easier to play and forces the breathy sound that I like in my flutes, without diminishing the overall tonal qualities. I love a good accident.

-Todd

-gravity sucks-

#9 2009-03-17 16:53:22

Taldaran

Alright P.H!

I say go for it!

I bought a few poles and odds and ends (pieces cut close to the root end so they have a bit of taper, but with only one ring of roots) from a bamboo landscaper/nursery a few weeks back, and already tried a few experiments that went south, but I went into it with the knowledge that the pieces would not be ideal, but just to work with it as a test bed. Some turned out pretty well despite my low expectations! The bamboo didn’t evidently know what I thought of it and decided to teach me a lesson.

Do you have any pics? I don’t care if it’s humble or not! I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#10 2009-03-18 06:22:49

purehappiness

I will post pictures when I can. maybe in the next few days.I did open the inner membrane and it did help the sound a bit. I have to try and do this while the wife is busy. She sure does cut into my flutemaking time.I was able to electrical tape a nice round file I have to some screwthread rod and was able to get to the middle membrane.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-03-18 06:23:56)

Lieh-tzu

Board footer