Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-22 18:31:40

axolotl
Website

Kelvin Mockingbird

I don't know much about Native American flutes or players, but this guy sounds pretty darn good to me.

http://www.last.fm/music/Kelvin+Mockingbird

#2 2009-04-23 08:57:56

lowonthetotem
Website

Re: Kelvin Mockingbird

I don't know much about Native American flutes

They are like wooden tin whistles, and I think they have a larger bore, which gives them more of an "airy" sound.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#3 2009-04-23 10:52:39

radi0gnome
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

They are like wooden tin whistles, and I think they have a larger bore, which gives them more of an "airy" sound.

That's not exactly true. Tin whistles are fitted with (or carved and constructed with if it's a wooden whistle) a fipple that directs air over an edge. The Native American flutes have a chamber that you blow the air into and then the air is directed out of that chamber into the part of the tube with the finger holes. It's similar to tin whistles in that you don't have to learn or develop an embouchure to play it, but that's basically where the similarities end. Tin whistles loan themselves to playing fast melodies, or if the melody isn't fast the player is expected to add a lot of ornaments. Native American flutes, with their beautiful tone, are best for slow heartfelt melodies. It's easy to play long tones on either, but a long tone on a Native American flute will sound great while the tin whistle it won't.

I personally don't like playing Native American flute because it's not challenging enough. Of course, a good player would be quick to point out that the challenge is to connect with the tone, something that a tin whistle player concerned with how fast and precise they can move their fingers may never progress to.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2009-04-23 11:36:24

purehappiness

I love their sound. That is what attracted me to flutes in the first place. Of course, shakuhachi has a lot more to offer.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#5 2009-04-23 19:38:15

geminishadow79

I had an native american flute, that I bought when what I was really looking for a shakuhatchi.  I loved it, it made beautiful music and was easy to play.  My little girl got a hold of it and broke it.  It was a cheap one and I wasn't even sure where I could take it get it fixed so I just let her keep it as a toy with intention of buying a new one.  I still haven't replaced it.  If you look at wikipedia, which we all know is the ultimate authority on everything hahaha, it says that the native american flute is in the same category as the tin whistle and recorder.  I don't think I would have ever made that comparision myself however.  They are lovely instruments, talking about it makes me want to get a new one

#6 2009-04-23 20:08:28

Taldaran

The chambered NAF is a very recent variant. The original NAF is the anasazi flute which is rimblown like the shakuhachi, and a bit more difficult to play.

And yes, that is an understatement!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#7 2009-04-27 20:18:32

axolotl
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

Incidentally, I know this much, or that much with the radiogn0me correction added. wink Having picked up a few and played them.  They are essentially in the fipple-flute class, in the same category as whistles and recorders (and fujaras!) 

I've heard some nice long tones on the tin whistle.  Titanic theme anyone? wink  Ok, hate the movie if you wish, but the whistle playing is top notch (fipple pun not intended)

#8 2009-04-28 00:14:25

radi0gnome
Website

axolotl wrote:

lowonthetotem wrote:

Incidentally, I know this much, or that much with the radiogn0me correction added. wink Having picked up a few and played them.  They are essentially in the fipple-flute class, in the same category as whistles and recorders (and fujaras!)

I've kind of been eating my words since wikipedia says they are similar, and I guess they are since you don't have to direct the air with your lips, but if you've played or even just listened to both you know they are entirely different with almost no comparison. I'd even go so far to say that shakuhachi and silver flute are more similar to each other, at least as far as the sound you get from them.

axolotl wrote:

I've heard some nice long tones on the tin whistle.  Titanic theme anyone? wink  Ok, hate the movie if you wish, but the whistle playing is top notch (fipple pun not intended)

That was a low D whistle (kind of the 3.0 of whistles), and long tones on any whistle aren't that interesting. Start adding some finger vibrato and slide around the notes like the guy does in the Titanic theme and it sounds like heaven. They aren't anything like a shakuhachi, silver flute, or even a Native American flute where it's easy to sink into and love a single long tone with no vibrato or pitch variation.

EDIT - as a bit of clarification, while I guess I have to concede that I'm wrong because technically Native American flute is in the same class as tin whistles, my first response was based on my experience with wooden whistles (the ones I own and used to love playing were Ralph Sweet's wooden whistles). They sound entirely different than Native American flutes, so the statement about Native American flutes that "They are like wooden tin whistles" just struck me as being misleading. They are two entirely different instruments, kind of like Xiao and Shakuhachi, but even more different and I kind of doubt they even share the same historical lineage like those two instruments do.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2009-04-28 07:41:10)

#9 2009-04-28 18:40:52

geminishadow79

Well I found myself in Colonial Williamsburg today, we are on vacation, and I found an abundance of Tin whistles.  After this conversation, I had to get one! They are pretty fun.

#10 2009-04-28 20:45:24

radi0gnome
Website

I just found this, it's pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEwo1U1vfUs

In the related videos there's a suizen part 2 that he does on a longer bamboo whistle. The tone seems a bit nicer on that one. You know, if you learn a roll on low D you've learned koro-koro.

#11 2009-04-29 00:31:36

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

You know, if you learn a roll on low D you've learned koro-koro.

Um...no, actually, you haven't.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2009-04-29 01:46:36

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

You know, if you learn a roll on low D you've learned koro-koro.

Um...no, actually, you haven't.

Well, not exactly, but close. All closed, lift the finger for hole 3 (this would be hole 2 on the shakuhachi), all closed again, lift the finger for hole 1, and all closed again. Rhythmically it's not the same but the way I was taught to practice it (from Larry McCullough, live, not his book) was by playing the notes the same duration for each to make sure I'd get the all-closed part of it each time. Also, it's usually only done once in a musical context, but repeated for practice purposes. So the way to practice it is kind of close to koro-koro. I've noticed on recordings that koro-koro's are usually resolved by going to some note that's unique to shakuhachi, so I guess you could say that's a difference too, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Different players use different fingerings, L.E. McCullough uses two different fingerings in his book, including the one I described. His book also differs in that he uses a cran (3 grace notes instead of 2) in place of a roll (2 grace notes) on low D, so what he had me practicing was half of the cran he wrote out in his book.

Given the rhythmic differences maybe some learn it without giving each note an equal duration, so I guess you could say not everybody who learned a D roll even with those fingerings unintentionally learned koro-koro. But despite my lack of experience, the koro-koro exercise Brian Ritchie gave me that I think is the same exercise in James Schlefer's book came to me awful easy, and it only took me a few minutes to realize that the reason why was the hours I put into learning D rolls on the whistle back in the early '90's.

So, why is it that you say I haven't?

Board footer