World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-06-08 21:58:40

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

John Singer shakuhachi videos from Japan

Here are some videos gathered from John Singer today of some of his shakuhachi playing
during his recent trip to Japan.

KL

Toru - This clip shows John performing a section of the the piece "Toru" using the very difficult and rare Koun Kai notation using a 1.9 length Shakuhachi made by Yamaguchi Shiro. With Noriko Kuma on Shamisen and her student performing on the Koto.. (most shakuhachi players (including the Kawase and Chikumesha groups) use different notation for this piece necessitating the use of two shakuhachi for this one piece (2.0 and 1.8 lengths) in order to make the piece easier to perform.

Rokudan No Shirabe - Performed by John Singer: Honte (basic melody) and Yamato Shudo: Kaete (alternate melody) in Kita Kyushu, Japan in May of 2009.

Tsuro No Koe - John playing a special one of a kind Master 1.8 Shakuhachi made and finished in the year 1900 by Araki Chikuo at the age of 77. (photos below)
This was used in the performance of the piece Tsuru No Koe with Shamisen player Noriko Kuma in May of 2009.

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/4part1.jpg

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/4part2.jpg

#2 2009-06-09 02:24:31

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Re: John Singer shakuhachi videos from Japan

Some years ago I went to the house Herr Meister Singer shakuhachi master. I wanted to change it bier und wurst for shakuhachi lessons. I was on a business trip with my ex frau, but we have still sex. Not married more however bumsen still. Thus we went to the Herr Meister Singer' s-Haus however - He rejected to teach to me the Kinko honkyoku. I was many disappointed and we went to the park ate wurst und bier. End of history.

i am horst

#3 2009-06-09 02:47:23

Moran from Planet X
Website

Thank you for sharing these great videos.

I'm glad John didn't sell the Araki shakuhachi after all. Can you believe the tiny Chi hole (on the instrument)?

Horst Xenmeister wrote:

Some years ago I went to the house Herr Meister Singer shakuhachi master. I wanted to change it bier und wurst for shakuhachi lessons. I was on a business trip with my ex frau, but we have still sex. Not married more however bumsen still. Thus we went to the Herr Meister Singer' s-Haus however - He rejected to teach to me the Kinko honkyoku. I was many disappointed and we went to the park ate wurst und bier. End of history.

I dun-no.

Horst's English seems to be improving.

????

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2009-06-09 05:16:25

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Thanks Ken for the videos and for the wonderful photos of the Chikuo shakuhachi! smile
Good to see John in action in Japan!
Horst, perhaps now that you are famous are the shakuhachi forum philosopher, Meister will teach you. Perhaps he didn't know who you were...

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer