Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-12 23:22:24

Rob Bondy
Website

Revised PVC Shakuhachi question

I have been making a PVC shakuhachi today and had some initial questions that have been resolved, but I am left with probably the most obvious one (since I want to be very sure before proceeding.

-After cutting the shakuhachi, it is playing at C#.  To get it to D, do I just need to shorten it a bit?  It seems obvious as I type it, but I just want to be sure before I move on.

R

"Every day is a good day" -Ummon

#2 2009-09-12 23:29:56

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Revised PVC Shakuhachi question

It could be playing at C# because you are blowing flat. If you haven't been playing a long time that's probably the answer. Or if your embouchure or the angle you hold the flute at makes it flat.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-09-12 23:33:38

Rob Bondy
Website

Tairaku wrote:

It could be playing at C# because you are blowing flat. If you haven't been playing a long time that's probably the answer. Or if your embouchure or the angle you hold the flute at makes it flat.

I am very new to the shakuhachi.  I would like to be sure before I start drilling the holes, but it sounds like certainty may be beyond my abilities at this time.  Thanks for the reply.

#4 2009-09-12 23:37:58

Rob Bondy
Website

Tairaku wrote:

...?  OMG! I just realized who you are. 

Summary:

-fan since 80's
-Why Do Bird's Sing is on of my favourite albums
-I play guitar for a high school music therapy class and have some of your songs in my play list.

Sincerely,

Fanboy (lol)

#5 2009-09-13 01:18:43

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Rob Bondy wrote:

I have been making a PVC shakuhachi today and had some initial questions that have been resolved, but I am left with probably the most obvious one (since I want to be very sure before proceeding.

-After cutting the shakuhachi, it is playing at C#.  To get it to D, do I just need to shorten it a bit?  It seems obvious as I type it, but I just want to be sure before I move on.

R

Rob,

If you're using specs for a 3/4 inch pvc tube at about 54cm length or so that is the correct length to play on D. If so, like BR mentions, you may be blowing flat. Very common when starting out!

Ken

#6 2009-09-13 07:02:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Rob Bondy wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

...?  OMG! I just realized who you are. 

Summary:

-fan since 80's
-Why Do Bird's Sing is on of my favourite albums
-I play guitar for a high school music therapy class and have some of your songs in my play list.

Sincerely,

Fanboy (lol)

Thanks Rob,

Well anyway PVC is cheap so just go for it and see what happens! That's the beauty of working with PVC. You'll probably make many flutes before you get one that's satisfying. No need to worry about making the perfect one first time out.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2009-09-13 07:13:34

Rob Bondy
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Thanks Rob,

Well anyway PVC is cheap so just go for it and see what happens! That's the beauty of working with PVC. You'll probably make many flutes before you get one that's satisfying. No need to worry about making the perfect one first time out.

True true.  Thanks

#8 2009-09-13 08:38:07

Rob Bondy
Website

Okay,

I went out and finished up the holes and the basic sanding (I am already making notes about what I want to do differently next time).

I checked the tuning (I, who has no training in musical theory) and it seems to be a consistent 1/2 step down from D, which makes sense if I am in fact, blowing flat.

When I checked the first 5 notes from Ro, here is what I got...

C#  E  F#  G#  Bb

I will try to post a short video later showing how it turned out.

#9 2009-09-13 10:03:23

edosan
Edomologist

Rob Bondy wrote:

Oh, and could you make sure you add a nice Violent Femmes soundtrack to that?  smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2009-09-13 10:08:07

nyokai
shihan
Website

If you are a consistent half tone flat and the relationship of the holes is correct, your RI (top note) should be a B, not Bb...

#11 2009-09-13 11:41:18

Rob Bondy
Website

nyokai wrote:

If you are a consistent half tone flat and the relationship of the holes is correct, your RI (top note) should be a B, not Bb...

I'll take another look.

EDIT:  yup, it was B, but I am still blowing it flat.

Last edited by Rob Bondy (2009-09-13 11:45:28)

#12 2009-09-13 11:42:28

Rob Bondy
Website

edosan wrote:

Rob Bondy wrote:

Oh, and could you make sure you add a nice Violent Femmes soundtrack to that?  smile

I think "Machine" off of New Times would be most appropriate.  However, I am not sure about copyright.  How would I go about getting the artist's permission? wink

Last edited by Rob Bondy (2009-09-13 11:46:26)

#13 2009-09-14 11:53:12

Taldaran

I just wanted to weigh in on this one with my personal experience. My first shakuhachi I made were PVC, then I made some out of root end bamboo. They were in tune with themselves and played pretty well. Later on I bought a couple of flutes made by reputable makers, and I found that I was playing very flat on them-I had to keri up/pull back from the utaguchi quite a bit.

Since I had been practicing on the maker built flutes, and checking from time to time with a tuner as well as playing with recorded works for practice pitch reference I find that my homemade flutes play sharp, because I made them and tuned them with my previous bad playing technique although I can adjust to them, but I can't meri down as much as I need with a  couple of them.

I would suggest that if you have aspirations to make flutes that intermediate to advanced players can use, I would get a good student level model, learn to play on it (preferably get lessons from a teacher), and then when you make more of your own, you will build them with consistent tuning because you can play them in tune.

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-09-14 13:02:01)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#14 2009-09-14 15:04:30

Rob Bondy
Website

Taldaran wrote:

I just wanted to weigh in on this one with my personal experience. My first shakuhachi I made were PVC, then I made some out of root end bamboo. They were in tune with themselves and played pretty well. Later on I bought a couple of flutes made by reputable makers, and I found that I was playing very flat on them-I had to keri up/pull back from the utaguchi quite a bit.

Since I had been practicing on the maker built flutes, and checking from time to time with a tuner as well as playing with recorded works for practice pitch reference I find that my homemade flutes play sharp, because I made them and tuned them with my previous bad playing technique although I can adjust to them, but I can't meri down as much as I need with a  couple of them.

I would suggest that if you have aspirations to make flutes that intermediate to advanced players can use, I would get a good student level model, learn to play on it (preferably get lessons from a teacher), and then when you make more of your own, you will build them with consistent tuning because you can play them in tune.

Thanks for advice.  I have a student level shakuhachi that was given to me by a friend, but I have no idea who the make is.  I will try to get a good picture of the hanko and post it.  As well, I will likely be getting a shakuhachi yuu for xmas.

I am also having my first lesson with Michael Gould tomorrow night.

So for now I swimming in the ocean of relative tuning, but playing in tune something I wam working towards.

Board footer