Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-08 08:23:19

Musgo da Pedra
Website

When acrylic started to apear on utaguchi

I would like to know when acrylic started to be used to make the utaguchi. There are any references about it?

Thanks

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2009-10-08 11:40:50

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Re: When acrylic started to apear on utaguchi

My educated guess would be the late Chikusen Tamai or one of his students. For my shakuhachi I am often asked not to use them by players that want 100% bamboo but to each their own of course! In shakuhachi lessons I often teach people about the various pros and cons of inlays. You can find more free info on shakuhachi guides page and throughout my website flutedojo.com.

Last edited by Jon Kypros (2024-03-30 19:03:03)

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#3 2009-10-09 08:14:55

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Jon!

Yes..

I made this question because I am playing now a nice  Tamai Chikuzen 1.8 that was told me to have about 60 years old (but I am not sure about it, I will check with the previous owner again). This flute already have a original acrylic utaguchi, so I became interested on that issue...

A big hug man!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#4 2009-10-09 11:24:30

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

Hello!

I understand... Hmmm, it could be replaced, not original. Or maybe it isn't acrylic but an older type of plastic like celluloid which would have been available 60 years ago.

My site flutedojo. Craftsperson of Jinashi and Jimori shakuhachi for sale since 2002. Dai Shihan 'Grandmaster' and full-time teacher of shakuhachi lessons

#5 2009-10-09 12:22:05

edosan
Edomologist

Jon wrote:

Hello!

I understand... Hmmm, it could be replaced, not original. Or maybe it isn't acrylic but an older type of plastic like celluloid which would have been available 60 years ago.

Thing about 60 year-old celluloid is that it generally looks 60 years old, or worse, as it degrades over time, often disintegrating.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2009-10-09 14:20:52

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Jon wrote:

... Hmmm, it could be replaced, not original.

For sure it's original. I am just not so sure about how old it is... I am waiting a confirmation from the previous owner, and as soon as I receive it I will confirm!

Peace!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#7 2009-10-10 00:14:29

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

edosan wrote:

Thing about 60 year-old celluloid is that it generally looks 60 years old, or worse, as it degrades over time, often disintegrating.

There are straight razors with celluloid handles from the late 19th century that are as good as new. I own one actually.

#8 2009-10-10 08:51:12

mrwuwu

Hi, everybody,        If this helps,   I bought a flute with an acrylic utaguchi ( translucent plexi or lexan? )   made by  Perry Yung who occasionally uses acrylic utaguchi's,    who I think I remember he said he learned it from his flutemaking sensei Kinya Ogawa, who either was a direct uschi deschi or apprentice of Chikusen Tamai,   or of a student of Chikusen sensei.     Also,  I own a flute made by Chikusen which I thought had an utaguchi made of slightly see through  horn or shell with a bit of swirly colors,  but Perry said that it was a type of plastic and some flutemakers will make utaguchi's from found materials if they had a certain natural beauty.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#9 2009-10-10 11:48:15

edosan
Edomologist

Jon wrote:

edosan wrote:

There are straight razors with celluloid handles from the late 19th century that are as good as new. I own one actually.

Well shucks, that must prove that the stuff lasts forever, then!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2009-10-10 14:42:26

Jon Kypros
Flutemaker
Website

edosan wrote:

Well shucks, that must prove that the stuff lasts forever, then!

I imagine some future intelligent creatures will find our bodies preserved in strata along with smiley face trash bags and other plastic relics. Horst will be found with an epoxy tube with some bamboo dust still clinging to it and the archeologist's will declare it the oldest instrument of our world...

Board footer