Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-12 22:37:34

Moran from Planet X
Website

Bamboo Church Organ

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2009-10-12 23:46:53

Taldaran

Re: Bamboo Church Organ

I would love to hear that!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#3 2009-10-12 23:48:19

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

It's interesting that during the Edo period, the ports were closed except Nagasaki where the Jesuits were given entry. Thus, the world's largest number of pipe organs now exists in Japan. There were pipe organs made of bamboo that you could have in your home. Between Tokyo and Yokohama, on any given day, there are over 25 pipe organ concerts. There are the largest number of pipe organs in any one country in Japan and also the largest number of new compositions for pipe organ and anything. Including a large number for shakuhachi and koto.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#4 2009-10-12 23:55:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

THIS IS AWESOME!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-10-13 10:59:16

philthefluter
Website

This is the homepage of a bamboo centre in Japan beside where I lived in Hiroshima: http://www.city.takehara.hiroshima.jp/e … yakata.htm

This is the image of the bamboo organ: http://www.city.takehara.hiroshima.jp/english/image/pipe_organ.gif

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#6 2009-10-13 11:25:43

ABRAXAS

chikuzen wrote:

It's interesting that during the Edo period, the ports were closed except Nagasaki where the Jesuits were given entry. Thus, the world's largest number of pipe organs now exists in Japan. There were pipe organs made of bamboo that you could have in your home. Between Tokyo and Yokohama, on any given day, there are over 25 pipe organ concerts. There are the largest number of pipe organs in any one country in Japan and also the largest number of new compositions for pipe organ and anything. Including a large number for shakuhachi and koto.

Excellent info!

Too bad Edwin Lemare didn't live long enough to compose honkyoku interpretations for the pipe organ!

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-10-13 11:26:14)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#7 2009-10-13 11:27:25

ABRAXAS

The mission, should anyone choose to accept it, is to find audio samples of this.

#8 2009-10-13 12:45:36

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

There are several CDs of shakuhachi and pipe organ. I have Mitsuhashi Kifu and Yamamoto Hozan playing. I also have a couple scores of the songs I performed. It was an amazing experience as it was like surfing with shakuhachi. The pipe organ spit out a zillion sounds at once and I just sort of dove head first into this big wave of sounds. They tend to have quite a huge volume so you need amplification or drown.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#9 2009-10-13 12:51:55

dust

imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.

#10 2009-10-13 14:21:33

ABRAXAS

Chikuzen - thanks for the heads-up again!

Dust - thanks for the link!

#11 2009-10-13 16:06:40

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

chikuzen wrote:

I also have a couple scores of the songs I performed. It was an amazing experience as it was like surfing with shakuhachi. The pipe organ spit out a zillion sounds at once and I just sort of dove head first into this big wave of sounds. They tend to have quite a huge volume so you need amplification or drown.

You have performed pieces for shakuhachi and pipe organ?
Would you be able to share the scores? I'd love to see them!

Very cool pics and links to bamboo pipe organs!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#12 2009-10-13 16:37:48

radi0gnome
Website

dust wrote:

http://www.divine-art.com/CD/md3136info.htm

smile

Hey, that link says that the one that guy plays is the only one in the world. Talk about false advertising...

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2009-10-13 19:08:52

nyokai
shihan
Website

Katsuya Yokoyama wrote some pieces for shakuhachi and organ, didn't he?

For odd organ lovers, here's something interesting:
http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/07/ … ut-of.html

#14 2009-10-14 00:54:27

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

No.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2009-10-14 04:27:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I played "Rokudan no Shirabe" with pipe organ at a university in Wisconsin, that was fun. I have a pipe organ in my home, but now I want one of these bamboo pipe organs!

#16 2009-10-14 09:31:51

nyokai
shihan
Website

The Yokoyama music I was thinking of is Kai, for shakuhachi and electronic organ (on "The Art of Katsuya Yokoyama"), but I thought there was at least one more shakuhachi/organ piece he played at the '98 WSF... maybe it was music of Richard Teitelbaum, though.

I think the Yokoyama music is specifically for electronic organ  -- not sure if it could work on straight-ahead pipe organ.

#17 2009-10-14 13:24:28

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Yes to both. There was a lady (Japanese lady, of course) at the University of Michigan when I was there in '01 who was working on her Ph.D.. in liturgical music. We played two pieces at her recital and then again about 6 months later in Detroit in a cool old church.
  I'll have to dig them out of the closet, scan them and then send them to you.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#18 2009-10-14 14:51:12

Glenn Swann
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Kiku Day wrote:

Yes to both. There was a lady (Japanese lady, of course) at the University of Michigan when I was there in '01 who was working on her Ph.D.. in liturgical music. We played two pieces at her recital and then again about 6 months later in Detroit in a cool old church.

I would love to see them too. My Japanese church-organist friend was just reading this post over my shoulder and said.... GET THEM! smile

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#19 2009-10-14 15:54:50

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

chikuzen wrote:

YAAAAY ! ! !  Already looking forward to see them. Did you like the pieces and did they work? And do you have recordings you can dig out of the magic closet?

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#20 2009-10-14 16:21:49

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

I did like the songs. They were funky and the organ turned them into a sort of Gothic Funk. The one sounded a bit like the old theme song to "I Spy".

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#21 2009-10-15 06:33:53

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

chikuzen wrote:

There are several CDs of shakuhachi and pipe organ. I have Mitsuhashi Kifu and Yamamoto Hozan playing. I also have a couple scores of the songs I performed. It was an amazing experience as it was like surfing with shakuhachi. The pipe organ spit out a zillion sounds at once and I just sort of dove head first into this big wave of sounds. They tend to have quite a huge volume so you need amplification or drown.

The one with Hozan is called "Masters of Zen" and it's readily available. Pretty good!

#22 2009-10-15 08:19:43

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Our resident historian, Justin, lives in a pipe organ factory.  Would you care to pipe in Justin?....sorry

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#23 2009-10-15 11:26:30

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

chikuzen wrote:

The one with Hozan is called "Masters of Zen" and it's readily available. Pretty good!

'Masters of Zen' is a short series of CDs of Japanese music on the PlayaSound label. The one with Yamamoto and organist Wolfgang Mitterer is
called 'Masters of Zen: Yamamoto & Mitterer - Shakuhachi and Organ' [PlayaSound PS 65199], and it's now out of print (according to Amazon, anyway). It can be found as an import here and there on the web.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#24 2009-10-15 13:06:31

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

Our resident historian, Justin, lives in a pipe organ factory.  Would you care to pipe in Justin?....sorry

Hi Jeff
If you insist. Well, apart from my daily practices among the pipe organs here, I have actually played inside a pipe organ! It was in one of the temples where the pipe organ master was commissioned to make one, and which we were visiting for annual maintenance. The organ master said he thought shakuhachi was much more appropriate for the temple.

Pipe organ is just about the farthest opposite to shakuhachi in terms of complexity and mechanics. One we worked on had 3000 pipes, though some have a lot more. The pipe organ master seems to be quite won over with the simplicity of the shakuhachi, and the humanness that brings, the closeness and directness.

Japan's not really the best country for them to be honest. The voicing is quite delicate on each pipe, and they can slip out of tune or the tone colour can go out, so just think what all the earthquakes here do to 3000 pipes! Still, they seem to be quite popular.

Incidentally, before they had the pipe organs in Japan, the missionaries used instead viola da gamba to accompany their church services. There were even viola da gamba makers here in Japan, during the Edo period. For anyone who has not heard this instrument I strongly recommend it. It is similar to the violin family of instruments (viola, cello etc) but fell out of use and nearly became extinct, as it was not loud enough to play in orchestras. The tone colour is outstanding. I have sometimes wondered, what influence this music may have had on the native Japanese music of the period.

#25 2009-10-15 16:05:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Pipe organ is just about the farthest opposite to shakuhachi in terms of complexity and mechanics.

And yet an argument could be made that they are the Eastern and Western instruments which are most similar due to the way they both evolved in religious settings. Maybe it's a commentary in a sense on the difference between east and west that the pipe organ was at one time the pinnacle of technology whereas shakuhachi (especially jinashi wink) is almost as primitive as an instrument can get.

Board footer