Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

#1 2009-11-05 18:56:16

Itamar Foguel
Website

im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

Since now im learning industrial design in the best academy in the country, we got a huge workshops for wood and metal, right now im flooded with homework all the time but im looking forword to find the time and try and make a wooden shakuhachi with the wood turner.

Now i wanted to ask for suggestions if anyone have any experiance or tips regarding the matter?
andmaybe  suggestions for constructions? or blue prints? types of wood?

thanks (i already feel uncomfortable since im almost the only one keep on posting questions in this forum latly >< )

#2 2009-11-05 19:30:22

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

Itamar Foguel wrote:

Now i wanted to ask for suggestions if anyone have any experiance or tips regarding the matter?

Itamar,

You might want to contact Peter Ross and David Brown about turning shakuhachi. I don't have contact information for David.

#3 2009-11-05 19:36:52

edosan
Edomologist

Mujitsu wrote:

Itamar Foguel wrote:

Itamar,

You might want to contact Peter Ross and David Brown about turning shakuhachi. I don't have contact information for David.

David Brown will probably contact you about the time Jesus returns, or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first, but Peter Ross will probably give you some good advice.

Do NOT feel uncomfortable about asking questions. That's what the forum is for, and your questions are thoughtful and unstupid smile

[Peter's email: peteross[AT]cloudhandsmusic[dot]com ]

Last edited by edosan (2009-11-05 19:42:11)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2009-11-05 19:57:52

Taldaran

I was considering doing that myself, and did some research, but don't have the money to invest in the tooling and equipment. sad

Lathing a piece of wood is not too difficult. The problem is getting the right bore profile.

Many wood flutemakers use specially built tapered reamers which can be expensive if you have them custom built to your own specifications, going from both ends to get the choke point in the right place, as well as the proper reverse taper at the bottom end of the bore.

You could do a straight bore which would be much easier, but you wouldn't have much difference in response and octave tuning than a PVC flute. I have played a few wooden ones, and the tone from flute to flute with almost identical profiles can be startlingly different. As far as tone closest to bamboo that I have found was a cheaper maple...older, VERY hard and resonated and projected very well. I have a David Brown 1.8 in tiger myrtle and a 2.1 in silky oak, and the tiger myrtle is much brighter than the silky oak (which isn't really true oak), but still mellower in tone then the maple. It depends on the tone you are going for I suppose.

When you build them, please share your experience with us!

As far as feeling uncomfortable with your repeated postings here, I used to post a lot when I started building my own a year ago. Ken, Perry, as well as other builders here really are into sharing their knowlege, experience and love of shakuhachi alchemy.

I look forward to your next post!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#5 2009-11-06 05:06:59

Itamar Foguel
Website

ill contact Peter after ill get some basic experience with the wood lathe. For now ive only worked with a lathe on plastic, aluminium and stainless steel. on that lathe you can do a cone or a taper by turning the base axis of your knife holder and then move it along the axis and get the angle you want (you dont lathe those materials by hand). so i thought all i need is a knife long enough to get all the way in. but i guess its diffrent with wood and ill try and get a lil advice and experience first before getting into it, ill try and ask our workshop instructors as well, they always love to give advices.

Ill try and keep you posted on the matter

#6 2009-11-17 06:43:38

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

If worse comes to worse, you can always ream out cylindrical and then rebuild the bore to the correct taper and dimensions using something like epoxy or car body putty. But at that point you might as well start with a nice culm of bamboo, since the work will be the same...

Toby

#7 2009-11-20 12:39:39

Itamar Foguel
Website

I  haven't checked it fully yet, but ive asked around about lathing something as long as a flute and been told its not possible, or at list my instructors at the academy have no idea how to do it. I asked for the email address at the Yuu site and received it but been told that "David dont always reply to letters and i didnt write anything to him yet. I can ask Peter but from what ive seen on his site he is not turning shakuhachi (?) .

Another option ive been thinking about is to lath a cylindrical bore and then make it taperd by using alot of work with a sand paper and rounded file but i guess that wont come out as precise as desired.

I would try and experiment with bore buildup but i have no idea how to do it, or what materials and technique can be other then urushi.a lot of work with a sand paper and rounded file but i guess that wont come out as precise as desired.

I would try and experiment with bore buildup but i have no idea how to do it, or what materials and technique can be other then urushi.

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-11-20 12:49:13)

#8 2009-11-27 14:23:51

Owloon
Website

You should definitely look into how recorders and Irish flutes are made. Their bores are usually made using reamers, by machine or hand. On youtube, there are a few interesting videos on recorder making using machinery. Making these flutes with non-power tools means making reamers that have handles on them. You drill a pilot hole then twist in the reamer(s). Making reamers is tricky business and I'm told can take as long to make as the flutes themselves (I've never actually done this because of wrist problems). But, because you're making shakuhachi, you could pay less attention to exactness (maybe just buying reamers that are roughly the right size) and spend most of your time time tuning in usually shakuhachi ways of subtraction and addition.

Recorder makers do sometimes make use of adding beeswax in places to tune. To get the beeswax to be permanent, you want to melt it on, so it clings to the wood. And nope, it won't melt on you, not unless you leave it in a car in the sun in summer. It's nice to use, because it's safe to handle, and you can use the same material to test a blob before you take the time to melt it in.

Something else that doesn't involve machinery, but heck...

Wood burning the bore - maybe. I have a nighbour who's in his 70s who's lived in this neighbouhood on and off for his whole life and is full of stories about how things used to be around here. He's always having a chuckle at me out on the front steps while I saw away on something, and then he tells me stuff. He says that when he was a kid, there were "old guys" then who would make flutes, probably Irish ones - Celtic music is still pretty common in this area. They would make them by using hot pokers and burning out the bores. I don't know how difficult this is but I'd love to try it one day. But apparently, it causes a lot of smoke. I've never heard of anyone else doing this with wood.

Straight-bore drilling, done with . I had a maker of native flutes drill out some wood for me. From there, I cut the rest that I needed.

Philippe Bolton's page: http://www.flute-a-bec.com/indexgb.html Excellent articles and photos.
He also has electoacoustic recorders, for the ever-curious to see.

Also  _The Amateur Wind Instrument Maker_ by Trevor Robinson.  and The Woodwind Quarterly http://www.musictrader.com/wwqindex.html are available. These might offer you ways of making reamers, but I can't remember and I'm too tired to check. There are other books on woodwind making too, of course.

Have fun,
Kim.

Last edited by Owloon (2009-11-27 14:26:21)

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

#9 2009-11-28 05:40:12

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

You can use car body putty or an epoxy wood putty (we have a great one in Japan called "Bond Wood" epoxy). You can use it just like ji and it sets much more quickly--usually in a matter of hours.

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2009-11-28 05:40:45)

#10 2009-11-30 06:50:09

EricSwain

I've made a few wood flutes and it is very possible to turn them on a lathe. The bore is the hardest part and this is what I found worked the best.

Take a 3" x 3" x 24+" inch piece of wood and very carefully slice it in haf length wise to end up with two 3" x 1.5" x 24+" sections. Keep track of which sides were together initially or the grain wont line up as well as you would like. Then carefully notch the wood down the middle to form a groove. I have used a table saw as well as a router for this and recommend a router mounted to a table. Its easier to get a good well centered notch. Glue the two sections together and wait a week or two. Dont start the next step too early or the pieces will come apart on the lathe and that can be dangerous at worst or frustrating at least.

I use a half inch foot long drill bit to get the rough bore profile drilled and then switch to those conical shaped metal cutting bits on very long extension rods to roughly shape the bore a bit further. You will need a couple of extension rods to get the choke point correct near the bottom of the flute. After that it is just getting the exterior of the flute to look like you want. I would not recommend taking the flute off the lathe until you get it sanded to perfection. It is very tough to get it centered exactly the same and this can lead to one side being sanded better than the other.
After this you should switch to hand tools like files and sandpaper on a stick to finish the bore.

Email me if you want and I can take some series pictures tthat may make the process clearer. Hope this helped a bit.

#11 2009-11-30 06:53:15

EricSwain

You can use smaller pieces of wood if you want but 2 x 2 doesnt really give enough room at the bell for a nice tapered shape. If your using an oiler piece of wood like Bakote you may need to wipe the pieces that you are gluing with acetone to clean off the oil or the glue wont stick as well.

#12 2009-12-04 20:22:31

Itamar Foguel
Website

Owloon, thanks ill try to look into it and try find out about the reamers. Eric i sent u an email but ill also say here i would love to see pictures of the process smile
Toby, for the time being, im flooded with homework but it might be interesting to make a (PVC?)Bore positive on a lath (although i found some graphs that explain the process it might get tricky to do it on a lath although i have precise scales on the machinery lath at the academy. any way even if ill have the positive i don't really know the whole process of doing a shakuhachi with a synthetic bore.

We should really re arrange some of the posts around this forum make them into guides on the different subjects of shaku making and "stick" them at the top with ken's guide, instead of only searching for old posts.

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-12-04 20:24:50)

#13 2009-12-04 20:36:30

edosan
Edomologist

Itamar Foguel wrote:

Owloon, thanks ill try to look into it and try find out about the reamers. Eric i sent u an email but ill also say here i would love to see pictures of the process smile
Toby, for the time being, im flooded with homework but it might be interesting to make a (PVC?)Bore positive on a lath (although i found some graphs that explain the process it might get tricky to do it on a lath although i have precise scales on the machinery lath at the academy. any way even if ill have the positive i don't really know the whole process of doing a shakuhachi with a synthetic bore.

We should really re arrange some of the posts around this forum make them into guides on the different subjects of shaku making and "stick" them at the top with ken's guide, instead of only searching for old posts.

I have turned a bore positive from Delrin on a turret lathe that had a chuck that would feed the stock out through the center of the chuck. That way, I could turn right at the chuck, using it to support the Delrin.

My *ultimate* advice, on this approach (FWIW): unless you have FAR too much time on your hands to develop a different (but not new. Monty Levenson has been doing this sort of thing for 25 years or more; that's why he's gotten so good at it...) approach, just get some bamboo and make shakhachi—MANY shakuhachi.

Better yet: get a good shakuhachi and PLAY IT. You're never going to be a decent shakuhachi maker anyway unless you can actually play the dang thing reasonably well.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#14 2009-12-04 21:15:41

Itamar Foguel
Website

for the time being i play around with some boo i have and making shakuhachi out of it during some of my weekends (its the third 1 now). it plays nice but its not perfect in tuning...

I play by myself, i read what info i find on the net, i see the basic lesson on mejiro's... I cant afford and dont feel like having virtual lessons (im a poor student), i wish i could find a teacher here in israel, so far i know of 2 people that actually "know" how to play a shakuhachi but i didnt meet any of them yet sad

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-12-04 21:17:35)

#15 2009-12-18 03:43:40

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Boo? Where did you get that term, out of some zine? ;D

#16 2009-12-18 04:57:03

Taldaran

Perry Yung was the first person I heard use the word boo.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#17 2009-12-18 09:10:15

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Taldaran wrote:

Perry Yung was the first person I heard use the word boo.

Are we instrumentalists or ghosts ?

#18 2009-12-18 12:13:40

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Back in the day, Boo referred to one thing only- reefer !!

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#19 2010-01-22 01:59:01

tingjunkie

Hi Itamar and others!

I am a very novice shakuhachi player, but as of late, I have tried my hand at a few PVC flutes that have turned out pretty decently. Like you, my next step is to build a couple shakuhachi out of wood. I have done a TON of research on the topic, and read every page on navaching.com about 20 times, but this certainly does not mean that I know what I'm, talking about, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt! Anyway, here's what I've come up with as a theoretical method:

Wood- I have a couple flute blanks on the way from http://fluteblanks.com/  One 24" x 1 1/4" rounded mahogany, and one 24" x 1 1/4" rounded cedar, both with a 3/4" straight single bore (no double air chamber like the NA style) . I haven't received them yet, and can't comment on quality, but George (the owner) has been very helpful so far. What I'm anticipating, is ending up with wooden tubes with a bore of about 19.1mm, and a wall thickness of about 6.2 mm.

Taper- So about now you might be thinking, "But the second octave will be flat with a straight bore," and you'd be right! So my solution comes from navaching. Here: http://www.navaching.com/shaku/second.html Again, this is theoretical at this point, but I am going to try removing some of the inner wall at the sweet spot using a (yet to be constructed) home made drill attachment. Basically, I plan to get a piece of 3/4" wood dowel, cut it to the correct size, glue some heavy grit sandpaper to it, and mount it on the end of a metal rod to go in my drill. As long as I insert the rod to the correct depth (I'm thinking of adding a guard at the right length as well) this should remove inner wall material in the right spot and dimensions, and bring the second octave in to tune.

As I said, I'm a mere newb, so if anyone sees any issues with this approach, please don't hesitate to lay it on me. I'll keep you folks updated as the process unravels. Cheers! -Mike

#20 2010-01-22 10:36:42

edosan
Edomologist

tingjunkie wrote:

As I said, I'm a mere newb, so if anyone sees any issues with this approach, please don't hesitate to lay it on me. I'll keep you folks updated as the process unravels. Cheers! -Mike

Pretty good ideas. The only thing that gives me pause is using mechanical power to take material off the bore wall. You might consider two other methods for doing it by hand, which reduces the likelihood of taking too much, especially with the cedar:

If you have the facilities available to you, get some 5/16 or 3/8 mild steel rod and a coarse rat-tail rasp or file, cut 3 inches off the pointy end of the rasp and weld it to the rod.

There is a product you can buy in most good hobby shops called Dragon Skin. It's a thin, hardened sheet of metal pierced with hundreds of punched holes, which create a very abrasive surface on one side of the sheet. You can wrap this around the end of a wood dowel and keep it in place with small tacks (drill pilot holes for the tacks). Comes in different 'grits'; easy to trim to size with snips.

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Dragon-Skin/dp/B0002SBONM

And there's always good old double-sided tape (3M is the best) for fastening sheets of sandpaper to the end of a dowel.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#21 2010-01-22 13:06:43

tingjunkie

edosan wrote:

There is a product you can buy in most good hobby shops called Dragon Skin. It's a thin, hardened sheet of metal pierced with hundreds of punched holes, which create a very abrasive surface on one side of the sheet. You can wrap this around the end of a wood dowel and keep it in place with small tacks (drill pilot holes for the tacks). Comes in different 'grits'; easy to trim to size with snips.

And there's always good old double-sided tape (3M is the best) for fastening sheets of sandpaper to the end of a dowel.

Thanks for the suggestions edosan. I'm intrigued by the Dragon Skin. Have you worked with it before? Does it remove material faster/easier than sandpaper? I think you may be right about not using a power drill- it may be safer to just construct the device, then turn it by hand. More time and effort, but more control too.

#22 2010-01-22 14:12:24

edosan
Edomologist

tingjunkie wrote:

edosan wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions edosan. I'm intrigued by the Dragon Skin. Have you worked with it before? Does it remove material faster/easier than sandpaper? I think you may be right about not using a power drill- it may be safer to just construct the device, then turn it by hand. More time and effort, but more control too.

Since you are going to have a fairly smooth surface to work with, the dragon skin should work well. It comes in several different coarsenesses. I think the biggest obstacle you're going to have is judging what you are doing. It takes considerable playing experience to actually tell how a shakuhachi is performing when you are making changes in its various aspects.

I'd recommend your putting in considerable woodshed time learning about how to play before getting into constructing. Your choice, of course, but the best makers have always been good players.

Last edited by edosan (2010-01-22 14:12:54)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2010-01-22 15:24:57

tingjunkie

edosan wrote:

I'd recommend your putting in considerable woodshed time learning about how to play before getting into constructing. Your choice, of course, but the best makers have always been good players.

Yes, very good advice edosan. I do own a "real" shakuhachi (a 1.9 root end jinashi Earth Model made by Perry Yung), which I LOVE, but what I discovered by making the PVC shakuhachi is that there is a special feeling of pride that comes from playing something made by my own two hands. If I keep practicing, especially if I decide to take lessons, there is a good chance I may outgrow these wood shakuhachi some day. In the meantime, it will be very rewarding experience to build and play them. Who knows... because I am relying on a straight bore and uniform wall thickness, maybe there's even a chance they could turn out to be real performers anyway. smile I can dream right?

#24 2010-01-22 20:22:39

edosan
Edomologist

tingjunkie wrote:

I can dream right?

Sure you can dream: while you are practicing shakuhachi and taking some lessons big_smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#25 2010-01-23 00:26:38

Yuusui
Website

edosan wrote:

tingjunkie wrote:

I can dream right?

Sure you can dream: while you are practicing shakuhachi and taking some lessons big_smile

I will agree with that. Even after just a few lessons that dream gets even bigger.

http://yuusui.wordpress.com/

"Sit in zazen as if engaged in the fight for your very life!" Dogen

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » im thinking of trying to make a wood shakuhachi with a turner

Board footer