Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-12-17 01:04:36

Taldaran

Resonance, tone and sustain.

Tairaku posed a reply about vibrations of musical instruments affecting it's environment, and if it effects the environment, why not itself, and it got me to thinking about the variations of tones found in shakuhachi, and what might more importantly detract from the tone of a flute.

I have refinished electric guitars (no change to the electronics, setup, strings etc, and the tone and sustain was very different afterward. Some finishes made the guitar brighter, some more dull (some would call it mellow sounding). That is one of the reasons why vintage guitars that sound great are not refinished.

Acoustic coupling and phase cancellation are valid acoustic properties. Another way to look at it...fine crystal can be shattered by the human voice because of the frequencies setting up a sympathetic vibration causing the glass to break.

It makes sense to me that if you had a hard resonant piece of bamboo that favored the fundamental frequencies of the column and the holes, it might project better.

A question that has been on my mind for awhile...

As far as acoustic coupling is concerned, do any of you owners of many kinds of shakuhachi, find that there are any losses of resonance to your ear with 2 piece flutes as opposed to nobe?

Another way of looking at it, shakuhachi makers still use hard lacquer surfaces to connect the 2 pieces... Why not make the surfaces cork? I wonder if it is due to the surfaces being hard and tight with a proper lacquer surface, that there is better acoustic coupling of both pieces that transmit vibration like it was one solid piece of bamboo?

The only 2 piece flutes I have are wooden shakuhachi and all have cork nakatsuke, and they are close tonewise but not nearly as lively and resonant as the bamboo nobe I have made. I know that some of you simply say, "it's wood, not bamboo. They will sound like a wooden flute", when there are some that say that it makes no difference what the shakuhachi are made of, it's the empty space within.

I wonder if the cork absorbs vibration (kills some of the acoustic coupling of the two pieces)? I am tempted to have Perry or Ken remove the cork from one of the wooden shakuhachi I have and do the fitting with hard lacquer in a traditional manner and see if it makes any difference to the tone.

Anyone care to weigh in on the idea?

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-12-17 01:07:25)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#2 2009-12-17 01:16:32

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Resonance, tone and sustain.

You've got to keep in mind that vibration in guitars and vibration in shakuhachi are two very different things.

In a guitar, it's the vibrational energy of the strings, coupled to the body in one way or another, that creates the acoustic voice of the instrument.

I'm sure you're already very aware of this, just stating it for the record.

With shakuhachi, or any wind instrument, it's the vibrating column of air that gives voice to the sound. There may be some vibration in the
material the instrument is made of, but compared to what's going on with the column of air, it's a miniscule contribution to the sound. You may
feel it in your fingers as you blow, but very little of that, if any, is getting to your ears. Things like dynamic coupling don't relate much to wind
instruments, at least not in the way or extent they do with stringed instruments.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-12-17 02:39:00

rpowers

edosan wrote:

With shakuhachi, or any wind instrument, it's the vibrating column of air that gives voice to the sound. There may be some vibration in the
material the instrument is made of, but compared to what's going on with the column of air, it's a miniscule contribution to the sound.

I'll see you that statement and raise you this one:

If the material of your favorite wind instrument is actually vibrating, the energy came from the vibrating column of air. The contribution to the sound of the instrument is negative--any vibration of the pipe means less sound energy.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#4 2009-12-17 02:42:13

Taldaran

So in theory, if you applied a very thin hard coat of epoxy over a perfect match of a master made shakuhachi, but molded out of paper mache, it would sound the same? I have already heard many people say the Yuu does not sound like bamboo. How much less would paper mache?

Just for fun, I made a shakuhachi out of a thick cardboard tube used for textile rolls from a fabric store with almost the same dimensions as one of my first PVC, and entirely coated it with the same water based polyurethane as I use on some of my bamboo bores to produce a smooth hard finish that would repel the moisture from my breath. I also soaked the utaguchi edge with superglue and sanded it smooth. It felt as hard as an inlay.

It functioned about the same as my PVC flutes, but it sounded muffled, dull and empty, (and not a good empty either).

Ken and Brian talk about the "glow" produced by the taimu. Some would say that it is the soundwaves getting bottled up and taking extra time to exit the flute, but the speed of sound is fast, and the flute is not that long.

I suggest that it's the bamboo itself that is storing the soundwaves like a spring (potential energy), and then releasing it after the event.

Even striking the flute with your knuckle will make a pleasing knock that depending on the bamboo will continue to vibrate. Think of long bamboo windchimes. No blowing involved. The residual sound is the bamboo itself vibrating.

That makes the bamboo tube an ideophone.

What many people fail to understand that even if a piece of bamboo is fomed into an aerophone, it still continues to function as an ideophone. The oscillations of air also strike the wall of the flute sounding the material. Hell you can feel the soundwaves striking your fingertips especially on flutes with bigger holes. On long flutes it can almost tickle!

It's not just the empty space. The material counts.

Christopher

#5 2009-12-17 02:45:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

rpowers wrote:

If the material of your favorite wind instrument is actually vibrating, the energy came from the vibrating column of air. The contribution to the sound of the instrument is negative--any vibration of the pipe means less sound energy.

Then why is "chikuin" one of the most appealing factors one looks for in a shakuhachi?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2009-12-17 02:58:15

Taldaran

rpowers wrote:

edosan wrote:

material the instrument is made of, but compared to what's going on with the column of air, it's a miniscule contribution to the sound.

And so I am back to my original post about cork nakatsuki being a possible absorber of vibration as opposed to hard lacquer which retains acoustic/dynamic coupling, a post which I moved from another thread which was due in major part to your earlier reply.

Thank you for helping in your own way to answer my question by following me to this thread.  smile

Christopher

#7 2009-12-17 03:00:23

Taldaran

Tairaku, what is "chikuin"?

Christopher

#8 2009-12-17 03:17:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Taldaran wrote:

From John Singer:

"Another very important invisible quality examined when judging shakuhachi is called "chikuin" -- the way the instrument vibrates when you play. You should be able to feel the bamboo vibrating in your mouth, down to your fingertips, past your wrists and arms, and into your whole body. Some shakuhachi have more chikuin than others and it is understood that the quality of the bamboo used plus the amount and type of material making up the instrument's bore make this difference. In earlier times, bamboo quality was determined differently. For example, many of the older makers have told me that the bamboo from the mountains around Kyoto was the best, and there were several grades of this bamboo. Simply put, bamboo quality and the materials used inside the bore affect the flute's tone color."

Which means that John and the people he gathered this information from (Yamaguchi Goro, Inoue Shigeshi, Ishibashi Gudo, and many others) are misled if in fact the bamboo has nothing to do with the sound. Highly unlikely. Generally I don't subscribe to the "Japanese know everything" routine but why would these guys go around hunting for specific kinds of bamboo if it made no difference? Simply for cosmetic reasons?

I suppose the next thing we'll hear is that if we made guitars out of balsa wood they'd sound exactly the same as spruce and rosewood as long as they're shaped like D-18's. Oh yeah, with guitars the wood vibrates but with shakuhachi the bamboo doesn't vibrate. Right.

If that was the case somebody should design a plastic flute like the Yuu ASAP that actually has the right bore profile to equal or surpass master bamboo instruments, because they'd be able to make a fortune. Personally I'd endorse such a product if it existed. Unfortunately it doesn't.

#9 2009-12-17 04:05:36

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Sorry, John Singer, the facts are incontrovertible.

The only way that the wall vibrations could conceivably influence the sound of the shakuhachi (or any woodwind), would be for the walls to enter what is called "breathing mode", in which the bore would "pulse" with cross-sectional expansion in time with the vibrating air column. This can only happen if one of the wall resonances can be excited by the frequency of the sounding fundamental or one of its partials, and that coupling sustained. The resonant frequencies of a thick bamboo tube of reasonably round cross-section lie far above any possible playing frequency or any of its strong partials. The walls simply cannot affect the sound.

There was a recent study a team of French researchers decided to find out what would happen if they could get a flute tube to enter breathing mode. They made the tube progressively thinner, until they reached a thickness of 15 microns, which is less than half that of the thinnest commercial available flute, and still the tube would not breathe. They had to make the tube significantly elliptical before they could get it to enter breathing mode, and even when they did, there was no measurable difference in the radiated sound.

And yes, the makers I know are looking for two qualities in their bamboo: resistance to cracking and cosmetic appearance.

Of course your answer about guitars is disingenuous, because it is quite clear that it is the vibrating body of a guitar which produces the sound when excited by the strings. In the shakuhachi, it is the vibrating air column excited by the air jet from the lips. The walls of the flute serve only to define the air column.

I guess that anyone willing to put the same amount of work into a plastic blank as a fine culm could get the same result. These days, many professional clarinetists prefer the Buffet "Greenline" composite (read: plastic) clarinet to its grenadilla counterpart. The sound is identical, they say, and no fear of cracking. In the flute world, the Guo Grenaditte composite flute is getting rave reviews. Great sound, lower cost because the body can be mass produced, low weight and no fear of dents or cracks. The shakuhachi world, mired as it is in iemoto-type tradition, simply hasn't entered the modern age...

Toby

#10 2009-12-17 04:23:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Toby wrote:

I guess that anyone willing to put the same amount of work into a plastic blank as a fine culm could get the same result. These days, many professional clarinetists prefer the Buffet "Greenline" composite (read: plastic) clarinet to its grenadilla counterpart. The sound is identical, they say, and no fear of cracking. In the flute world, the Guo Grenaditte composite flute is getting rave reviews. Great sound, lower cost because the body can be mass produced, low weight and no fear of dents or cracks. The shakuhachi world, mired as it is in iemoto-type tradition, simply hasn't entered the modern age...

Toby

I don't think there's any conceptual resistance to using alternate materials for making shakuhachi from many modern players. I would welcome a shakuhachi product that accomplishes with composite material what you suggest is happening in the clarinet and flute world. The popularity of the Yuu proves that you can sell a lot of these things, but unfortunately the Yuu is not nearly as good as the best or even decent bamboo shakuhachi. Good bang for your buck, but pros deal in absolutes. If you search the archives (cue Ed intervention) you'll see that we had extensive discussions about trying to do something similar with long flutes and Taimu style flutes, but ran into problems with production due to the investment required. So it's not the fact that it's tradition bound that's holding this idea back it's that nobody has done it. Probably the fact that there are a lot more clarinet and flute players in the world than shakuhachi players has a lot to do with it.

#11 2009-12-17 07:10:47

Musgo da Pedra
Website

It's so good to feel the bamboo (or the material whatever it is, but the 'boo is special) resonating in your body, starting on the finger and going up your arms!

If we can't hear this, but can feel, it's alright. There is a lot of other nice sounds goind right to the ear and reflecting all over the body. But it's good to "hear" from the finger tips, ehhehehe.

Of course search for a bambu that can vibrate a lot is a good effort that worth all it!!! There is good resonating bamboo and good "almost dead vibes" bamboo, and mostly because of fisics both can sound good because of specifications of the bore, but one will be a magic universe vibrating in your hands eand trhough the mouthpiece and flute holes... other, just trhough holes... or maybe grey, a bit of both (always)...

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2009-12-17 07:39:50)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#12 2009-12-17 07:58:11

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Taldaran wrote:

From John Singer:

"Another very important invisible quality examined when judging shakuhachi is called "chikuin" -- the way the instrument vibrates when you play. You should be able to feel the bamboo vibrating in your mouth, down to your fingertips, past your wrists and arms, and into your whole body. Some shakuhachi have more chikuin than others and it is understood that the quality of the bamboo used plus the amount and type of material making up the instrument's bore make this difference. In earlier times, bamboo quality was determined differently. For example, many of the older makers have told me that the bamboo from the mountains around Kyoto was the best, and there were several grades of this bamboo. Simply put, bamboo quality and the materials used inside the bore affect the flute's tone color."

But if your fingers and parts of your body touching the instrument are vibrating it means that the instrument is transmitting the vibrations from the column of air instead of absorbing them. When acousticians start arguing about material aren't they talking about materials of similar hardness? Of course a harder material will sound different than a softer one... I think... throw in the fact that with jiari the inner part of the flute is always going to be about the same hardness, maybe the bamboo matters less with them, but then the bamboo could still absorb the transmission of vibrations to your body if it's soft.

BTW, my personal opinion of this material/sound quality argument is that since it seems most ultra high-level musicians say material makes a difference, they're probably right.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#13 2009-12-17 11:20:29

edosan
Edomologist

rpowers wrote:

edosan wrote:

So, what's your point? It's the NET sound energy you're hearing, and the great majority of that is coming from the vibrating column of air, not from the small vibration more or less induced in the material, which is inconsequential, whether it adds to or subtracts from the overall sound produced.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#14 2009-12-17 11:32:38

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

BTW, my personal opinion of this material/sound quality argument is that since it seems most ultra high-level musicians say material makes a difference, they're probably right.

As Toby has labored so diligently here to inform us, the opinions of most ultra high-level musicians (and yours) don't matter much, as they have been repeatedly fooled in double-blind experiments with identical flutes made of different materials.

Perhaps a good reading comprehension course would be helpful?

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#15 2009-12-17 11:37:34

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

i been in both sides of that. I do headjont testing a flute company & I get to try & play with lots of different materials & designs. Everything matters!

#16 2009-12-17 12:15:20

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

As Toby has labored so diligently here to inform us, the opinions of most ultra high-level musicians (and yours) don't matter much, as they have been repeatedly fooled in double-blind experiments with identical flutes made of different materials.

Were they actually double-blind? That would mean the even the player didn't know what material. I guess that might be possible with comparing nickel-silver to sterling silver or gold or platinum, where I guess any difference
would be minimal.

Edosan wrote:

Perhaps a good reading comprehension course would be helpful?

I've got to admit that some of that technical stuff Toby wrote went over my head, it's not exactly light reading.

#17 2009-12-17 12:23:45

Taldaran

"Of course your answer about guitars is disingenuous, because it is quite clear that it is the vibrating body of a guitar which produces the sound when excited by the strings. In the shakuhachi, it is the vibrating air column excited by the air jet from the lips. The walls of the flute serve only to define the air column."

Toby, I said electric guitars. And no, it is not clear.

Believe it or not, some of the same arguments that apply to shakuhachi apply to electric guitars by builders as well as pro players. Since the electronics and pickups of an electric guitar sense the vibrations of strings, in theory it doesn’t make any difference what kind of electric guitar body material is used.

Sound familiar?

In practice though, there is a huge difference in electric guitar tone coming out of a neutral amplifier depending on materials used in the making of the instrument - even though it shouldn’t make any difference.

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-12-17 12:31:42)

Christopher

#18 2009-12-17 12:32:40

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

Were they actually double-blind? That would mean the even the player didn't know what material. .

That is an excellent point, nor do I know how that could ever be done with musical instruments (drugs, yes). Must be a small mis-clarification on
Toby's part. Still, it wouldn't have to be double-blind to show the resultant effect; only the listeners would have to be in the dark smile

Last edited by edosan (2009-12-17 12:33:17)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#19 2009-12-17 12:36:28

edosan
Edomologist

Taldaran wrote:

Sound familiar?

Actually, it doesn't: regardless of how the sound is picked up on a guitar, it is still generated in an entirely different manner than that in a wind instument. That's what Toby is getting at.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#20 2009-12-17 12:48:03

Taldaran

Thanks for the reply Tairaku! I knew that word looked familiar, it was from the the Singer article. Doh! Should have used the search function...

Christopher

#21 2009-12-17 13:01:43

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

Were they actually double-blind? That would mean the even the player didn't know what material. .

That is an excellent point, nor do I know how that could ever be done with musical instruments (drugs, yes). Must be a small mis-clarification on
Toby's part. Still, it wouldn't have to be double-blind to show the resultant effect; only the listeners would have to be in the dark smile

Those experiments were done a long time ago as far as I know, I remember hearing about similar experiments in the late '70's. You could do a double blind these days if you use this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dLBtpKn … re=related I'm pretty sure he won't play any differently on a different flute as long as it's the same dimensions.

Even then, if you did come to a definitive conclusion that the material doesn't change the sound, it doesn't rule out that one material might feel better to play than another. For example, maybe those instruments with lots of chikuin don't sound any better, but you can feel a difference.

#22 2009-12-17 13:41:40

baian

And speaking of chikuin,

here's Nelson Z's link on that subject :

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/vib.html

#23 2009-12-17 15:46:54

rpowers

Taldaran wrote:

Hell you can feel the soundwaves striking your fingertips especially on flutes with bigger holes.

Exactly. At the holes, your fingers are in contact with . . . the vibrating air column, of course.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#24 2009-12-17 16:24:01

Taldaran

And if your fingers are vibrating, so is the bamboo.

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-12-17 16:25:09)

Christopher

#25 2009-12-18 01:26:08

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

radi0gnome wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Taldaran wrote:

From John Singer:

But if your fingers and parts of your body touching the instrument are vibrating it means that the instrument is transmitting the vibrations from the column of air instead of absorbing them. When acousticians start arguing about material aren't they talking about materials of similar hardness? Of course a harder material will sound different than a softer one... I think... throw in the fact that with jiari the inner part of the flute is always going to be about the same hardness, maybe the bamboo matters less with them, but then the bamboo could still absorb the transmission of vibrations to your body if it's soft.

What is really important to get is that any common wall material is so much more rigid than the air it contains, there is little difference in how they vibrate based on the relatively small variations in air pressure that are exerted on the walls. I agree that the feel of good bamboo is exquisite, but it makes no difference to the air column and how the wave behaves inside the bore.

It is also important to understand that there are two different kinds of vibrations of the bore. If you tap the flute, you will feel vibrations in the body that are quite distinct. But these are distortional vibrations, in which the tube has pressure applied at one point which makes the tube elliptical. The vibrations of the air column are cross-sectional, in which the air pressure pushes equally against the inside of the tube in all directions.

In playing, the only way the tube can vibrate is by expanding, like a balloon being blown up. Think about that a minute. Can you blow up a shakuhachi like a balloon? If you seal it up and blow as hard as you can, just how much do you think it is going to expand? Do you think that you can blow up a piece of "soft" bamboo more than a piece of "hard" bamboo? Because that is what we are really talking about--how much can you expand the bore with the pressure of the standing wave. For hard or soft bamboo, or metal or plastic, the answer is: not enough to matter in any conceivable way.

As far as feeling the bamboo vibrating. I think you will find that you mostly feel the vibrations in your fingertips as they cover the holes, and not on the body of the flute itself. Try this: have someone else play a flute while you grab the body between your fingers. How much do you feel the vibrations now?

You may feel something, but it is well to remember what I posted before: Researchers found that a metal tube of shakuhachi diameter only 15 microns thick did not vibrate enough to affect the sound in any way, even when it was deliberately made elliptical so that it would vibrate much more than if it were cylindrical.

As Coltman says, even ultra-high level musicians cannot tell what is causing the difference that they well might feel. Until you isolate and control all factors other than that you are testing for (in this case wall material), there is no way of knowing what is causing that difference. In the Coltman experiment, ultra-high level flutists were sure that they could tell the difference between flutes in different materials, and were then baffled to find out that they could no longer tell them apart in the dark. In a test of trombone bells, Smith showed that ten top professional trombonists could not tell the difference between different trombone bells in the dark, even though the frequency response of the bells as measured at the position of the player's ear varied by up to 2 dB, a difference that was not only clearly measurable, but should have been perceptible.

For those of you still clinging to the idea of the veracity of your perceptions, I invite you to explore this web page:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2009-12-18 09:12:12)

Board footer