You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-25 15:37:18

nyokai
shihan
Website

Phil Nyokai James (from Portland, ME) is in the intensive care unit

Dear Shakuhachi folks --

This is Phil James' wife, Lara Schneider writing this message. I know he would want you all to spread this word as I just don't know quite how to reach individual people so decided to go this route.

We have been on a trip in Arizona trying to get a little R & R before our upcoming babies birth -- which is due on April 4th. I have some sad news. Phil has suffered from a stroke. We are in the intensive care unit in Phoenix, Arizona at the Mayo Clinic. He has been in intensive care for about 2 days. Luckily I was able to get him a helicopter ride here which has a good neurological department. Everything is completely up in the air for him and how his recovery will be. He has had an ischemic stroke, and possibly a type called a diversion (which is mechanical). It is somewhere probably on the mid-range of intensity (but unkown).

His left side of his brain is where the stroke happened -- but the right side of his brain has been compensating a lot. They suspect that music and art have helped this side be so developed -- yeah for shakuhachi!

Anyhow, I am in trauma mode and any help that you all can offer to him, us, our family would be amazingly appreciated.  At this point spreading the word is most critical as I don't want his entire shakuchachi career -- students to be left in a lurch. Please spread the word to his shakuhachi dojo in Portland, Boston and anyone that may be going to the upcoming Montreal workshop or of course his friends in the shakuhachi community.

If you have questions please email me:
Lara Schneider
radiantnature@gmail.com

I can't be sure I'll write back immediately but will try. I plan to design a blog to keep anyone updated in a more general way if they're interested. Please email me if you'd like to follow the blog.

Please send us metta.

Peace,
Lara Schneider (Phil's wife)

#2 2010-01-25 16:03:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Phil Nyokai James (from Portland, ME) is in the intensive care unit

Hello Lara,

We are all very sorry to hear this. Those of us who know Phil personally and others who know him from his online presence will all join together to support you and Phil. We'll get the word out to the shakuhachi community and his students, don't worry about that.

Stay strong and try not to overdo things for your own sake and to prepare for the birth of your child. I know its not easy to do but please try.

I will post the information you sent in appropriate places and send emails to Phil's associates.

Best wishes, please tell Phil we are here for him.

Regards,

Brian Ritchie

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2010-01-26 04:42:23

Christopher B.
Website

Oh I am very sorry to hear that. I wish all the best to him and his family!!!

Take care and get well.

Christopher

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#4 2010-01-26 06:00:21

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Oh nooooo! This is very sad news indeed!

Lara, you must be a very strong person to write to the forum at this time.
Thank you very much for letting us know! It is very much appreciated! Phil has a lot of respect in the shakuhachi community (and no doubt in other music communities too).

I am sure the people who were going to attend the workshops will get to know now.

Do let us know any changes to his condition. We hope the best.

I hope it will be ok for me to add him to a distant healing list run by shakuhachi player Stephanie Hiller in UK. She sends out a list of people in need every week and shakuhachi players around the world blow in order to heal on distance.

Being far away in Denmark and Englad makes me feel like I can't do anything to help you. But if there is anything I can try to do, do let me know.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2010-01-26 08:04:11

davidbudbill
Website

Please accept my condolences, best wishes and prayers for Phil's speedy recovery.

I'll light some candles, incense, strike a gong and play some long tones for Phil this morning.

David Budbill in Vermont

#6 2010-01-26 08:04:50

BrianP
Website

Thanks for the information.  I want to wish you and Phil the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Brian

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#7 2010-01-26 08:12:02

purehappiness

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish him a complete and speedy recovery.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#8 2010-01-26 08:30:15

Lorka

Words are never all that helpful where feelings are concerned, but like the others who have written, I will keep thoughts of a healthy and speedy recovery close to heart.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#9 2010-01-26 09:16:50

Vevolis
Website

I do not know Phil personally (or anyone on this forum for that matter) but I'd like to wish to him all the positive energy for a safe & swift recovery.

#10 2010-01-26 12:44:49

rikkomu
Website

I am very sorry to  hear this, Lara and  I wish Phil a fast recovery.

My thoughts are with you and Phil.

We shall never cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot

#11 2010-01-26 14:28:02

axolotl
Website

I hope that Phil recovers completely and swiftly, Lara.  My thoughts are with you both.

#12 2010-01-26 16:23:02

David Earl

From emails with him and through reading his Blog I surmise  Phil James is a hell of strong strong man physically, mentally and spiritually. In the tradition of the ancient old men. Get well brother.
Sending our thoughts for deep healing and recovery.

Spring peepers provide
a croaking choral backdrop
sleep time aria

#13 2010-01-26 16:27:28

Elliot K
Website

Lara,
You have our hopes and prayers for Phil's swift recovery. Please take some strength from this, as we all know this will be a difficult time for you both.
All our love and best wishes,

Elliot & Cara Kallen

#14 2010-01-26 17:49:02

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

All of us who are frinds with Phil are quite shocked by this sudden happening. I just talked to Lara on the phone. Phil is still in ICU and stable for now. They are hoping to move him out of ICU tomorrow. This would really lift her spirits. She is quite devastated. I would urge people not to call her now because it's very hard for her to talk about Phil's condition. She needs some time and space with him. Lara says she will eventually get a blog going to give update reports for us.

Phil had a workshop planned in Montreal. I talked with Lara and offered to do the workshop and a concert that sat. evening as a benefit for them. She thought that would be great and said Phil would be very happy for the support. I have already secured help with lodging and have booked a flight The workshop will be built upon Phil's outline with just some of the songs changing. We'll do Kyorei, Goreika (pilgrim's chant song), Honshirabe, & Nezasa Shirabe. I am also open to any requests. We'll also practice chanting for breath work.  As I mentioned, this will totally be a benefit for Phil and Lara. If you have signed up and would like to continue to support Phil by attending, or if you haven't signed up but now feel you can, please let myself or Sean Riley know. I have no idea who has signed up for this but if you could contact one of us, it would be helpful. We have 10 days to go but I would like to get on top of things asap since we're going to use a space for a concert, etc.

Anyone interested in joining this concert please call me. I'm sure we'll have a group song or two by the participants of the workshop.

Thanks for your help in this situation.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-26 18:28:40)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2010-01-26 18:15:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Good work Chikuzen.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#16 2010-01-26 18:29:21

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

Chikuzen,

Thanks for the update. Each day I wonder how he is doing so your post is most welcome. Many of us here in New York are quite upset and concerned for him.

James

#17 2010-01-26 19:52:40

janemukei

Lara, Know that Phil's shakuhachi friends are all sending healing thoughts his way. I'm lighting incense for both of you each day. Word will spread. Focus on Phil and taking care of yourself and your baby.  Jane Kilthau, NYC

#18 2010-01-26 23:39:05

Medit8b1
Website

Phil is my Shakuhachi teacher, I just found out about what happened a few hours ago, and I have been quite upset all night. I am just very frustrated feeling like there is nothing I can do to help. Phil is an awesome guy and a phenominal shakuhachi master. If I could think of something I could do to help I would be off this chair and out the door before I finished typing this sentence. My thoughts and prayers are with him and Lara.

#19 2010-01-27 00:03:28

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Chris,
Thats a great idea!! They will appriciate that a lot!!

#20 2010-01-27 07:42:16

nyokai
shihan
Website

Dear beautiful shakuhachi community --

This is Lara again, Phil's wife. Thank you for your kind, thoughtful, and amazing words and ideas for help. I have started the blog that I mentioned. Here is the address and the first posting:

http://homegrown-hope.blogspot.com

With love,
Lara and baby

#21 2010-01-27 08:18:19

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I have been in touch with Lara since day one of this tragedy, and have been wondering how I can help.
Many of you know that Phil studied the entire Repertoire with me through cassettes, over the course of many years while he was living in Missouri. For the past 15 years, I have been doing the same kind of "remote lessons" , but through the Internet.

It occured to me that I could help a bit, by teaching Phil's students, in this manner, until Phil feels strong enough to take over again by himself.
My system is easy to work with, and the tuition will be sent (100%) to Lara.
I just need his students to contact me and we can begin, but the problem is that I do not have their email addresses..
The names that Lara was able to give me, so far are :

Don
Douglas
Ricardo
Chika
Gerald
Tom
Jeff
Robert
Steve Hambelton

Would all of you contact me at <nyogetsu@gmail.com>
..or call: 917-207-6724

Thank you all for your prayers for Phil,
Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2010-01-27 18:35:59)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#22 2010-01-27 12:37:48

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Excuse this update as being redundant as I'm putting it in all three columns that are related in this Events and Announcements section to make sure the people who need to see it do. After considering the timeline and other factors I think it's best that we POSTPONE the workshop and concert for now and do this as soon as possible in the near future. There doesn't seem to me to be enough time to get this together in any fashion that will truly benefit Phil. If there is to be a fundraising concert it will need to be advertised well to get an audience. Right now, I imagine we wouldn't get more than 15~20 people. I'd rather get 100 or more. Which means putting more thought into into and then some leg work. As far as the future workshop goes, if you join that's great. Nobody needs to feel they are obligated to attend the workshop I offer. I WILL do the workshop though and look forward to seeing some of you then. I personally am not sure I could play well in front of people right now as it makes me quite sad to realize the situation of Phil, Lara & the baby. It would be nice to have Phil on the road to recovery and all of us feel real good about meeting to play shakuhachi together and do a concert. Maybe that's just me.

So for now, the workshop is POSTPONED. I'll be working towards the next date and could use anyone's help that was registered. Thanks again.

And thanks to Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldon for generously offering to teach Phil's students. That's a great solution to their dilemma. I would offer my time and energy too but I can't help here since I don't play and teach the same style.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-01-27 17:23:26)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#23 2010-01-28 14:33:17

Taldaran

My thoughts and prayers go out to Phil, Lara and family as well as everyone else they touch.
Lara, Thank you for the blog so we can remain in touch with news.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#24 2010-01-29 04:09:59

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Just saw this...  I'm really sorry to hear about Phil, such a sudden thing, this stroke; we'll be trying to send good ki and praying for his rapid recovery.

#25 2010-01-29 12:45:40

Moran from Planet X
Website

Hi Folks, The blog is up and running: Phil + Lara - Baby-to-Be + Community

for news from Lara James about Phil Nyoaki James' progress with a recent and serious stroke

http://homegrown-hope.blogspot.com

A donation button has been set up so anyone wishing to donate funds to the family can make a PayPal payment directly to them. Thanks to Phil's dedicated students who offered ideas and help in this project.

Michael Chikuzen Gould is in process of setting up and workshop and event for the Phil James family's benefit. People are donating shakuhachi  and shakuhachi related items to an auction which I believe Chikuzen is setting up. If you can't attend  Chikuzen's event you might purchase a scholarship seat or two.

Nyogetsu Ronnie Seldin is going to offer lessons to Phil's students and donate the funds to the family. He posted with students names today, more to come.

Lots of ways to make contributions. And if material contributions are not possible, your good thoughts, sending heartfelt energy, offering prayer and playing shakuhachi are all ways of creating a healing river for Phil and Lara and the baby-to-be.

Phil and Lara have a very long and costly project ahead of them. Rehabilitaion, although hopeful, is extremely time consuming, rigorous and painful for all involved  -- especially for Phil.

Keep the flame!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer