World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-04-27 06:28:36

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Grandma sang Minyo

We have had a lot of Japanese working for us at Chado. None of them recognize more than 4 or 5 of the Minyo pieces and one of them is "Auld Lang Syne" which they think is Japanese. The others are "Sakura" "Soran Bushi", "Kojo no Tsuki" and "Aka Tombo".

Today a young Japanese chef came into the teahouse so I started playing from the green book and he knew ALL of the songs and was singing along with them. I told him most Japanese only know that handful of songs and that I was impressed that he knew all of the Minyo. His wife (Aussie) revealed the reason, "Probably because he was raised by his grandmother."

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2010-04-27 10:10:08

madoherty

Re: Grandma sang Minyo

Very interesting.

I wouldn't recognize a lot of American (United Statian) folk music either most likely... but I bet I know more than 4 songs.

#3 2010-04-27 10:30:03

radi0gnome
Website

madoherty wrote:

Very interesting.

I wouldn't recognize a lot of American (United Statian) folk music either most likely... but I bet I know more than 4 songs.

OK, real fast... 1) Tis a gift to be simple 2) Micheal row your boat ashore 3) ...

Forget real fast, that's all I got!

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2010-04-27 18:06:06

Karmajampa
Website

I frequently have Japanesre people coming through my gallery, I mention my interest in Shakuhachi. Virtually all of them have never seen or heard 'live' Shakuhachi playing.

One woman, when shown a Shakuhachi, would not touch it, she was almost in fear of breaking some mystique regarding it.

But, they do recognise 'Sakura' when I play for them.

K.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2010-04-27 19:20:01

radi0gnome
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

But, they do recognise 'Sakura' when I play for them.

There's enough versions of Kuroda Bushi on youtube I'm surprised that one isn't another that's recognized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4agYmfV … 5T9otPpNk4

#6 2010-04-27 20:15:25

Taldaran

I work at a college and have many japanese students, and when I play in the japanese garden that is part of the college, many of them ask me what kind of instrument I am playing, and when I tell them it's a shakuhachi, they don't know what it is, but it sounds familiar.

I then play some muraiki, and higher pitched "soundtrack" kind of musical noises, and they immediately recognize it from anime and movies. Some do recognize sakura even fewer recognize kojonotsuki.

I spoke to a friend who also plays shakuhachi and he told me that it doesn't surprise him. He said that the shakuhachi is the japanese version of a jug band instrument that many prefer to forget about.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#7 2010-04-27 21:06:28

radi0gnome
Website

Taldaran wrote:

I spoke to a friend who also plays shakuhachi and he told me that it doesn't surprise him. He said that the shakuhachi is the japanese version of a jug band instrument that many prefer to forget about.

I think I get his point, but jug band instruments are generally easy to play, kazoo and washboard being favorites, along with some kind of simple bass.

#8 2010-04-27 23:16:52

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

I used to play in the streets regularly here in Japan. In Tokyo many people had not previously heard live shakuhachi before. And one guy remarked "that's.... shamisen, right?" But to be fair some people did recognise it. I even had a few people mention John Neptune! Since a lot of people are into jazz they had heard shakuhachi through John's music. Few knew the music I was playing, honkyoku, though I was glad to see it go down well even with some tough looking teenagers.

In Kyoto it was a different story. I had many more people there telling me their father or grandfather used to play shakuhachi. I used to play sankyoku there sometimes too and had many koto players listening in, knowing the pieces having studied them themselves.

As for "Auld Lang Syne", when I first came to Japan I was baffled when hearing this music playing in restaurants or shops in the evenings occasionally. What's going on, is it New Year already?! Finally I realised in Japan this is the signal to say "We're closing now, kindly leave".

#9 2010-04-28 02:59:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

They don't recognize more than a few folk songs regardless of instrument. It's not a shakuhachi problem.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#10 2010-04-28 03:14:58

Josh
PhD
Website

I don't know about Tokyo but Justin was right about Kyoto, and the same goes for Nara. I often play songs like Kojyo no tsuki and Sakura Sakura and many people often sing along with them.  I hear it often mentioned that their father or granfather played and that they remember seeing komuso wandering around the neighborhood, unfortunately more than a few people said they were kind of scary or pushy. I don't really play Minyo but I have a feeling there is a bigger following in the countryside, but even still the listeners and the minyo shakuhachi player's numbers are dwindling.
I am performing tomorrow at Todaiji Temple in front of the Great Buddha (Daibutsu), I'll do a test and see the response from honkyoku and folk type songs. Given the atmosphere I'm 100% into doing honkyoku, but I know the grandmas will want a few nostalgic throwbacks to please them. Maybe even a little anime for the youngsters.

#11 2010-04-28 05:11:52

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Josh
Yes I always felt that minyou would be more popular on the streets than honkyoku. Even many of the komuso of the 20th century seem to have been playing minyou, some perhaps exclusively so, when begging. More catchy than honkyoku, and more recognizable too. But I always chose to stick to what I prefer to play, even if it earned me less money! Still, I have ended up playing minyou from time to time, once accompanying my biwa school. Like you say, keeps the grandmas happy!

#12 2010-04-28 08:21:24

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

In my experience most people in Japan - especially the younger generation (under 50 today) know very little about traditional Japanese music.

Remember that they are also a product of a country that decided not to teach any traditional music in schools since 1871. It will be interesting to see if and how this will change when the kids who have since 2002 had at least some exposure to traditional music and musical instruments in middle school grow up.

I travelled 12 month in Japan in a van from north to south and on as many islands as possible. In my own experience I met most min'yō passionate people in the Tsugaru region in northern Honshū. There many - even to some degree the young - could sing along the few min'yō songs I could play.
Otherwise where-ever I have been in Japan the older generation loves min'yō (and enka)... when it comes to honkyoku.... some love it as a proud and beautiful part of the Japanese heritage - while quite a few thought it was boring... well it is just not party music.

Most Japanese I have met surely knew what a shakuhachi was... but very often it will be the first time they saw it or heard it live - unless they are playing music or doing something like that themselves.

The younger generation - in general - seems very cut off from traditional music that for them is just old and 'dasai' (not cool. I really hope the new school system will change this.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#13 2010-04-28 08:52:04

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

I'm playing tomorrow at Kumamoto Castle in the newly built, Hon Maru Go ten building.  I'll be playing with several other players (shakuhachi, koto, shamisen) and we'll be playing some folk music (in fact, Kuroda Bushi) as well as honkyoku and sankyoku pieces.  The interesting thing is, the audience will likely be mostly Chinese and Korean Tourists.  Though Kumamoto Castle is revered and one of the three remaining, main castles of Japan, few local people visit there unless it's to imbibe in liquid spirits under the cherry blossoms which have definitely fallen by now.  Nothing wrong with spreading the love though, I guess.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#14 2010-04-28 11:52:09

Taldaran

radi0gnome wrote:

Taldaran wrote:

I think I get his point, but jug band instruments are generally easy to play, kazoo and washboard being favorites, along with some kind of simple bass.

I guess I should have rephrased what I wrote saying. "folk instruments".

I played bluegrass with an excellent washtub bassist. He plays both electric and upright bass but really enjoys the "tub". It's an instrument that like shakuhachi takes practice and a good ear to play in pitch.

Last edited by Taldaran (2010-04-28 12:01:30)

Christopher

#15 2010-04-28 16:06:42

radi0gnome
Website

Taldaran wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

Taldaran wrote:

I guess I should have rephrased what I wrote saying. "folk instruments".

I played bluegrass with an excellent washtub bassist. He plays both electric and upright bass but really enjoys the "tub". It's an instrument that like shakuhachi takes practice and a good ear to play in pitch.

Hmm... even the definition of easy becomes fuzzy, I guess you could say the washtub bass is easy if you have a good ear...

Isn't, or wasn't there recently, a kind of jug band revival in Washington and Oregon where I see you are located. It still might be a small number of bands and community, so still not all that known, but it sounds like maybe you're a part of it?

Edit - I just looked on youtube to see if I could find good jug band music, you have to forgive the 1930 recording technology, but I've only seen retro acts and didn't know what the real thing was, youtube is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0tW0awX … re=related

Last edited by radi0gnome (2010-04-28 19:07:31)

#16 2010-04-28 19:04:13

Taldaran

Yes we have a regular bluegrass festival in Darrington Washington, and there are a lot of people who attend itbut I am not part of a jug band.

I also play banjo and one of the bluegrass bands I worked with did a couple of ozark style folk tunes and the bassist brought out his washtub...people laughed until we started to play. It was also fun to do Bela Fleck style with the tub too.

Seriously though he ripped on that tub! He had an acoustic engineer find the best spots to cut ports in it, and he used a clip on mike at the port to get the thump, and another one aimed near the spot where the string attaches to the tub to catch the attack of the string. It sounded huge.

I do think a jug band would be fun especially if you could pass around a full jug till it's empty and then you would have a backup instument at the ready!

I think a Bombay Sapphire bottle would work as a substitute...

Christopher

Board footer