Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2015-07-28 04:16:39

Andy_Johnstone

G'day from Adelaide, South Australia.

Greetings and salutations everyone.

I am a complete novice to Shakuhachi, and currently have two flutes.

The first is a single piece relatively straight flute made by Noel Dowling, and the second a single piece, root end flute.

Both 1.8, in the key of D (I hope I am getting this right) i.e. approximately 40 cm long.

Noel's flute (lacquered) has the inlaid uteguchi, and the other (possibly much older) has the non-inlaid style of mouth piece.

I am pleased with my progress (beyond my highest hopes already) in that the lowest octave has revealed itself, and I'm starting to make other progress after only a few months.

I am also blessed with a friend who has agreed to teach me, and she has experience of at least one masterclass with Riley Lee.

Would forum members recommend that I treat the older flute with oil, now that it is in my hands?

Since this one has been purchased from ebay, I really don't anything about it's history, or even where it was made.

I have read some of the posts on the forum, and note the reference to tea-tree oil. I also have other oils (e.g. Tung, Camelia) etc. through my wood-working efforts.

All directions to appropriate posts/resources would be gratefully received.

Andy.

#2 2015-07-28 17:10:40

Taldaran

Re: G'day from Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Andy! Welcome to the forum!  I'd stay away from non drying oils. I myself use walnut oil (culinary from a grocery is fine) which is one level below tung oil which is a drying oil and does not get gummy-it hardens. I also use walnut oil on my instrument fretboards. It also has a neutral smell unlike tung oil. Many here would suggest that you don't need to oil a flute at all, just keep it in a plastic bag. I'd say the best thing is doing the least you can. Can't get simpler than putting in a bag if the air is dry.

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#3 2015-07-29 03:25:00

Andy_Johnstone

Thank you Christopher, much appreciated.

I must admit, that it is also a little grubby, although this adds to the apparent age...

smile

Andy

#4 2015-07-31 12:29:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Welcome to the forum. There are a few shakuhachi people in Adelaide, perhaps contact the Australian Shakuhachi Society for information.

http://www.shakuhachi.org.au/

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer