Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-21 12:46:42

Lorka

David Brown Hardwood Shakuhachi question

I was wondering what people think of these.  I am not interested so much in bamboo vs wood metaphysical opinions.  I have bamboo, plus a plastic yuu.  I am just curious what opinions people have about the wooden flutes made by this maker.  These flutes, possibly unlike other lesser wooden flutes, look to be quite fantastic value.  I think they look very beautiful, but I am curious how they play (espcially the 2.4's).  Volume, sound quality, stuff like that would be nice to know.  Thanks.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-10-21 14:45:00

edosan
Edomologist

Re: David Brown Hardwood Shakuhachi question

David Brown's flutes are beautiful, in tune, and play very well. Good enough that Riley Lee has endorsed them (even owns and plays one, notably on 'El SueƱo/The Dream on the album 'Nalu'), and Riley is very reluctant to flat-out endorse anything.

They are indeed a good value, IMO. I don't know what delivery time is like nowadays--sometimes he's a bit slow, but perhaps that's not the case these days.

The long flutes are just as good as the shorter ones. Perhaps the one for sale mentioned on the Forum is just the ticket?

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-10-21 14:45:48)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-10-21 21:28:25

nyokai
shihan
Website

I am not a fan of wooden shakuhachi, but David Brown's are an exception. I've liked almost every one I've tried.

#4 2007-10-22 09:41:18

KenC

While i am NOT on of the Pro's i thought i'd drop my 2 cents.

I have had one of David Brown's  flutes for a bit over a year.  It's a great flute that i play regularly!!!!  My teacher agrees its a wonderful flute also.  I was looking for a flute i could use outside, backpacking, hiking, and even my office and not have QUITE the damage and care concerns of my Root End Tai Hei.

Beatiful craftsmanship, great tuning, highly recomended.

#5 2007-10-22 13:38:36

radi0gnome
Website

nyokai wrote:

I am not a fan of wooden shakuhachi [...]

I'm curious why you typically don't like wooden shakuhachi. I realize that you say you're not a fan, which is understandable because I doubt many people would be a fan of untraditional materials for traditional instruments if the literal definition of "fan" is taken. But since you say you like David Brown's instruments I'm guessing that there is something else you didn't like about the other wooden instruments.

I've never played any wooden shakuhachi, but I just won one on auction on Ebay. I thought it would be less risky to crack during transport during the upcoming winter months than the bamboo instruments. If the tuning turns out to be OK, there are a few possible drawbacks that I can foresee. One is that it's a 1.8, and like many here on this forum, I like longer flutes better. Another is that since it is probably a smooth bore, it will probably sound more like a jiari than a jinashi, however that wouldn't bother me too much. David Brown makes his instruments in many sizes so that's one area where his flutes are probably preferable to other wooden instruments, however I take it that they'd still be missing that jinashi sound if that's what someone prefers. One thing I can see about David Brown's flutes is that he likes to use exotic timber, and that's very nice if you're concerned about aesthetics. Another possibility where his flutes might be nicer than other wooden instruments is that his are individually made, and like traditional shakuhachi, are more likely to be unique unlike other wooden shakuhachi that I assume are mass-produced. The   individually made characteristic seems to add a bit of positive energy to an instrument too. It would just feel better to own and play.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2007-10-22 14:47:10

nyokai
shihan
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I'm curious why you typically don't like wooden shakuhachi.

OK, I should have said I'm not a fan of the ones I've tried (other than David Brown's), which admittedly has only been twenty or thirty. The ones I've tried just don't sound good. They have had very thin low octaves, harsh second octaves, and impossible third octaves. In addition they've often had serious tuning problems on go no hi and other high notes. Since there are now good bamboo student models for only a little more money, I tend toward advising students to play a yuu for a while and save their money for bamboo, unless they want to buck up for a David Brown. This is not to say that there are not some great wooden flutes that I've never encountered.

I don't think the cracking issue is as much of a problem as it's sometimes made out to be.

#7 2007-10-25 00:27:12

Lorka

thank you for the replies.  I was just curious, as I plan on getting one of Davids flutes. 

I actually have an option between a 2.4 tasmanian tiget myrtle or a 2.6 european maple.  Neil has been super helpful, though I am still not sure which of the 2 flutes to go for.  I want to be able to play all holes with my finger tips (as one would a 1.8), and am not sure if I can do that on a 2.6.  I can do it on my 2.4 jinashi, but am not sure if the regular hand positions for the lower hand would work on a 2.6, or if I would need to use the alternate hand positions for longer flutes.

~ Lao Tzu~

#8 2007-10-25 14:04:05

radi0gnome
Website

Lorka wrote:

I want to be able to play all holes with my finger tips (as one would a 1.8), and am not sure if I can do that on a 2.6.  I can do it on my 2.4 jinashi, but am not sure if the regular hand positions for the lower hand would work on a 2.6, or if I would need to use the alternate hand positions for longer flutes.

Why would you want to play with fingertips? Even if you can do it, your hand positioning is going to be such that it's going to cause discomfort, if not injury. You don't want your wrist to be twisted much at all, that's one of the ways musicians get repetitive stress injuries.

#9 2007-10-25 15:11:30

dstone
Website

Lorka wrote:

I want to be able to play all holes with my finger tips (as one would a 1.8)

Lorka, I think you mean finger pads (not tips).  i.e. you want to avoid playing with the flesh on the proximal phalanx like many do with longer flutes?

Holes can be moved in wood or bamboo.  Pretty holes lined up in a row don't do you or the flute any good if it can't be played comfortably.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#10 2007-10-25 16:08:42

radi0gnome
Website

dstone wrote:

Lorka, I think you mean finger pads (not tips).  i.e. you want to avoid playing with the flesh on the proximal phalanx like many do with longer flutes?

Holes can be moved in wood or bamboo.  Pretty holes lined up in a row don't do you or the flute any good if it can't be played comfortably.

-Darren.

Thanks for that link with the proper terminology. I kind of thought Lorka meant the distal pads. The way it works for me to hold the 2.5 in my avatar picture comfortably is that I cover the index finger hole (tsu?) with the proximal pad and the lowest hole on the flute with distal pad. I'd have problems if the holes weren't skewed on that size flute. I have a 2.2 where I'd like the holes to be in line because with the holes skewed no matter what I try (and remain comfortable) one of the holes falls under a finger joint and leaks too easily.

#11 2007-10-25 17:58:52

Lorka

thanks Darren. 

Yes, I meant the pad, near the tip of the finger, and not the tip itself

~ Lao Tzu~

#12 2007-11-02 12:45:59

radi0gnome
Website

nyokai wrote:

OK, I should have said I'm not a fan of the ones I've tried (other than David Brown's), which admittedly has only been twenty or thirty. The ones I've tried just don't sound good. They have had very thin low octaves, harsh second octaves, and impossible third octaves. In addition they've often had serious tuning problems on go no hi and other high notes. Since there are now good bamboo student models for only a little more money, I tend toward advising students to play a yuu for a while and save their money for bamboo, unless they want to buck up for a David Brown. This is not to say that there are not some great wooden flutes that I've never encountered.

I received the mass-produced used wooden shakuhachi from the Ebay dealer (ayumispacking, this is the 2nd flute I've obtained from this dealer that I'm very satified with, although the other one is a jinashi and has tuning problems) and it exceeded my expectations. I'll admit that my expectations were somewhat lowered by your comments, but the flute is pretty good. I don't have any professional quality flutes, but in ease of playing it's better than all of my other flutes. The first octave is solid, far from thin as you describe, the 2nd octave sounds fine, and it plays very well in tune. I guess you're right about the 3rd octave, I can barely squeek out the first note in the 3rd octave, but that could be just me because I have problems in that area with my other flutes too (remember that those aren't pro quality though, so it could be the flutes fault). 

It cost just about $100, so I can't agree with you about buying a Yuu instead that would have cost the same or more. I've seen Perry Yung sell a few tweaked wooden ones on Ebay that probably play even better that went for less than $200. I think the mass-produced wooden instruments are an excellent buy, and have less of a negative stigma than plastic.

About the Yuu, I'm curious about how it can be that much of a better playing instrument than the mass-produced wooden ones. It's true that it used a real shakuhachi as a mold, but that's apparently only for the outside since the bore isn't centered near the bottom of the flute. I doubt that bamboo grows that way. The David Brown's I can understand could very well play better since they are individually made, and even if they didn't play better the exotic woods look so good that the $400-$500 price tag is well-deserved.       

nyokai wrote:

I don't think the cracking issue is as much of a problem as it's sometimes made out to be.

Umm... I've had pretty good luck with shakuhachi. However, I've had some bamboo flutes of other types and bamboo didjeridu crack. Also the number of cracked instruments being sold on Ebay and the number of cracks it looks like Perry Yung repairs is an indication that cracks are fairly common.

#13 2007-11-23 20:57:47

axolotl
Website

Lorka, I would not be a great judge of sound, as I have only been playing for about a month now, but a David Brown 1.8 is the only shakuhachi I own.  I got it because I wasn't sure if I'd like shakuhachi enough or would stick with it, so an expensive bamboo one was out, and I didn't want to get the Yuu--I liked the idea of wood.  Anyhow, in my very beginner's hands, it occasionally makes a beautiful sound.  wink  I am sure that in an expert's hands, it would generally not disappoint, except perhaps if one's aesthetic shakuhachi bubble doesn't include wooden shakuhachi.  I did see the Riley Lee endorsement and figured I wouldn't be going wrong.  Is wood going to make the sound of bamboo?  I have no clue.  I have blown on a bamboo shakuhachi exactly once, when I saw some in a Big Sur giftshop (oh, and I did make a tone after a few minutes of trying, probably to the chagrin of the fellow shoppers)...so, yeah, no clue about the difference in sound. 

Ahem.  Sound aside, the instrument is damn lovely.  I got one made of Tasmanian Blackheart Sasafrass, which is a neat wood (it's dark blonde, streaked with black from fungal mycelia which invade the wood), and besides, the name of the wood sounds like a gothic bluegrass band. 

I'm pretty sure it's all the flute I need in my first epoch of study.

Board footer